hi I would like to make some diabetic friends

jayne15

Hi im Megan age 7 and was diagnosed in October I would love to chat to other diabetic children because I haven't made any diabetic friends yet as I am the only one in my school. :(

Sometimes I feel frustrated as the only diabetic as all my friends get to eat treats at school and I cant.

The good things are I get to play lots of sport after school and I am the only girl in my rugby team and I cant wait for the season to start when we get to play matches.

The other good thing is I get to eat snacks in my lessons at schools.

I want to know what its like to go on a pump and does this make a difference to what I can eat.

hopefully I will be going on a diabetic weekend in October has anybody been on one? it looks like fun . 8)

I am using my mummys account as I am a bit young to have my own.

I look forward to chatting and making friends

Megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello Megan, I'm a adult (female) and just wanted to say hello and welcome :wave: you sound like a very sensible girl :clap:

Best wishes RRB

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hope you find some friends soon Megan, I'm sure you will. I'm an adult too so can't help but you sound very sensible and good luck with the rugby !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bethyboo

Hi. I'm Bethany. I'm 11 and have been type 1 since I was 3. I find it hard sometimes too. I'm on injections but my mum is gonna ask about a pump soon.

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I'm Olivia and 11 years old. I am on a pump, and yes it makes a massive difference to everything (including food). I get that you proberley want someone a little bit younger, but I remember when I was 7 with diabetes. :D . I'd love to chat

jayne15

Hi everyone, thanks for answering my post Id love to be friends with you all. Olivia do pumps hurt more than injections ?my mummy tells me your trying to reduce your blood levels how are you doing getting on with this?

How does it feel for having diabetes for such a long time it is still new too me and still feels a challenge i sometimes feel upset but things get better ever day.

CambridgeLass

Hi Megan. I'm also using my mummy's account. My name is Ariyana and I am 7 on Wednesday. I'm getting excited about my birthday and have a party on Sunday. I was diagnosed in December. I am also the only one in my school that has diabetes. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I don't know any other diabetic children my age either. What did you do when you first knew you got diabetes? I stayed in hospital for one night, I had a really comfy bed which went up and down and got to play in the kids playroom. I thought at first diabetes was a bit like a cold and would go away, but I have got used to it now and I still do everything I want to do. I don't have many sweets anymore, when my friends have theirs I keep mine to take home. Tomorrow I'm going on a school trip to see a recycling centre. We're taking some plastic bottles to see what happens to them. My teacher who does my injections at lunchtime is also coming. When you go to school do you do your own injections or does the teacher do it for you? Hope we can be friends. From Ariyana x

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jayne15,
Yes I have been talking to your mum, and yes i'm trying to get my levels down. About the pump, for starters you only have to change you needle set once evers 2-3 days,and its ALOT better than injections. Sure, I wont lie, the needle are scarey but i'm telling you that once you get used to them its like having a cup of tea! If you do get a pump, you won't have to always get up in the night to have insulin and your basel (something clinic will tell you about) will keep you right. It all sounds very technical, I remember that, but appart from the needles and words having the pump is a MASSIVE advantage. :D Thanks xxx

volvicwater22

i totally agree with you, its annoying because the only way to understand the feeling of having diabetes, is to have diabetes. i know a few people that have type 2 but its not really the same as type 1 hehe

cezzle

Hello Megan,
My name is Romany and I'm 7 too. I was diagnosed last year, I've just had my 1st Diaversary.
I'm on injections at the moment and my Mum says I'm very good at having them but they're starting to hurt which upsets me. I'm hoping to get a pump soon.
This is my Mum's account but if you want someone to talk to I'd love to be a friend. I don't really know anyone my age with Type 1.
Love Romany xx

Hi I'm Maddison
I'm kinda new to diabetes as I was diagnosed last month but I am kinda used to it in a way. If you wanna drop an email use:
[email protected]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1364421131.951301.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1364421131.951301.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,225

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.

Just to remind those who may not have seen this 'Stay Safe Guide'
Please read and 'stay safe' :)

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=38461&p=359236#p359236

Any help or assistance needed , just let a mod [in green] or myself [in blue] know .
We will do our best to assist you . :thumbup:

Anna.

Billietobin

Megan I know how u feel when I was in primary school I was the only person there who had diabetes. I kept getting treated differently I soon ended up talking to my friends and teachers telling them I wanted to be treated like everyone else they understood me and started treating me like everyone else I'm always on here if you want to chat xox

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes same as Billietobin, I STILL am he only one in primary school with diabetes ( I'm in Year 6 ). :thumbup:

jayne15

hi all, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me its great knowing I am not the only one and im not alone. i have been very busy, just come back from Egypt last night- it was the first time overseas since my diagnosis. It was fantastic my BS levels were great and lower than normal which meant lots of ice cream yum yum :D I went snorkeling in the red sea which was stunning. I made lots of friends. I am happy that having diabetes does not stop me from doing anything other kids do in fact I do lots more than my friends do.

Have any of you got any holiday plans it would be great to hear about any exiting places you are visiting??

my mum has applied for me to go on a diabetic holiday- has anyone done one of these before and what are they like?

cant wait to hear your replies.

Mango Meg :D

jayne15

Hi everyone and thanks for your messages. My dad is helping me with this reply as my mum has had to go out this morning. I have a meeting with the diabetes clinic in May to discuss my next steps, we are going to ask about a pump or even a pen like my grandad uses but he is type 2.
Thanks to your replies we are slowly getting a better idea of how the pump works and what to expext so thanks again. And yes I would love to be friends with you all so please stay in touch. We have just got back from a week in Egypt were my sugars were a little low but this was great as it meant I got to have ice cream most days as my snack yum yum and the food in the restraunt was really great, especially the freshly baked wholemeal bread which kept my sugars at a decent level.
Look forward to your relies,
love Megan :clap: