Newly diagnosed type 2

pollybostik

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone

Diagnosed on Monday 18th which was totally out of the blue as I thought it was my under-active thyroid playing up as I have had this condition for 20 years now. It as been a shock and have not been told much except don't skip meals eat plenty of carbs loose weight and exercise more. I was booked to see a chiropodist, booked on a two day workshop and booked in for another blood test in May.

I am finding it hard on taking it all in and where do I start.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to cut down on most carbs, specifically things like sugar, white bread, white rice, pasta, mashed flourery potatoes etc and eat whole grains, brown rice, whole grain breads, harder new potatoes, whole grain pasta etc. What has actually happened is that the carbs that you eat and which the body turns into sugar is remaining in your blood. Your insulin isn't dealing with it effectively. So, to get the sugar level down, you need need to cut out some carbs, especially the obvious sugary foods. Not understood at the beginning is that foods like white bread are just as bad. The type of carbs you get in brown rice, wholegrain bread etc take longer to brek down in your body so the sugar is added much more slowly to your blood, at a rate that your own insulin can better cope with. Losing weight and exercise also do improve your insulin sensitivity and make what you do produce work more effectively, so that is good advice.

If you search this forum for info on carbs, you'll see lots of tips. Some people go in for very low carbs, but that is something you can work upto if you feel it is necessary later. Best thing is to get a blood meter, cut out sweet stuff, switch to wholegrain carbs and monitor over the next few weeks. Usually people see an improvement and your reading in 3 months time is likely to be lower.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Polly and welcome to the forum :)
This information which we give to new members should help you to get started. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed last week finally after weeks of testing so now I am starting out with type 2 diabetes which left me numb and a little shocked when I was told the news

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Chuckles and welcome to the forum :)

Have a read of the information above as I'm sure it will help you.

vjt66

Dislikes
Ignorance and arrogance.
Hello pollybostick and Chuckles21
I was diagnosed as a type 2, just 3 weeks ago and it hit me like a train, I was not expecting it, the best thing I did was join these forums, there is a lot of good advice and friendly people out there, I was also ignorant about Carbs I thought sugar affected diabetics and that was that. I agree with Yorksman the best thing to get is a blood glucose meter. My GP and Diabetic Nurse are both dead against it saying I would find it stressfull, real reason I believe is down to cost, but it is always worth asking for one. I know it seems initially that there is a lot to take in, but you will find your own level in time.
Good luck... :)

Angee5959

Hi I was diagnosed type 2 on the 15 Feb

I have changed my diet and am now eating mainly fruit and veg a little chicken and tuna.

Is that ok? I'm having 3 meals a day and maybe 2 snacks of fruit in between

Diane type 2

Hallo Pollybostik
Same here. Was diagnosed on January 23rd right out of the blue. No symptoms, went to surgery for something unrelated and they decided to do a fingerprick blood test as routine cos hadnt seen me for a while. The whole thing ran from there. I am still trying to come to terms with it. Had an Hb1ac result yesterday at 6.5% which gather is 7.5 in old money. My clinic nurse is the most depressing and un supportive lady. I admit to carrying 2 stone more than I should have asked to have 3 months on diet and exercise which she reluctantly agreed to. Not before issung dire warnings about how this disease will only get worse, no bright shining hope for the future. She refused me a blood monitoring meter saying I didnt need it. What really troubles me is that a neighbour who was diagnosed some 4 weeks earlier than me at a different surgry has a completely different attitude from his clinic. Couldnt be more helpful, insisting that blood glucose monitoring was essential. I went onto NICE site and find that their CG87 guidlines does recommend blood glucose monitoring for newly diagnosed type 2 people, even without medication. It appears though that this is very much a local decision and I suspect based on cost i.e. do the local PCT and surgery want to bear the cost. Dont know whether to go back and point out the NICE CG 87 or not as I feel this lady is very patronising and surly. Quite depressed about the whole thing at the moment.

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been having readings of between 6.2 & 11.9 fluctuating up and down through out the day only on sinstatin at the moment to bring my cholesterol down and wait for the diabetic nurse to get back off her holiday and see me to decide a master plan diet wise

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
If your surgery is unhelpful and another one is positive then vote with your feet.
Transfer to the other surgery and tell them you have heard they have a good attitude to diabetics :)

Cheers

LGC

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't know if diabetes or metformin is linked to cramps. maybe someone else will know. The only time I get leg cramps (in the calves or feet) is the day after a big drinking session.

Cody

I am a type1 and 32 years old had diabetes for 25 years and only just been told I can have an insulin pump last year as my lantus was working too much when sleeping and hypo ing at night. Not good! Since I've been on the pump I have never looked back and it's the best thing I've done. People say it seemed like hard work doing the carb counting therapy classes previous to being fitted with pump but it was most defiantly worth it in the long run