Type 1 Diabetic, 20 years old.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aww brill, congratulations! I'm only 12 weeks but already it has been so challenging with levels, I am always hypo or above target. Can I just ask what your target levels are? Mine are 7.8 one hour after meals and below 6 before meals, I've got my fasting levels ok but meal times are iffy. Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LauraJayType1

LauraCath said:
Hi Laura :) I'm Laura too. And I'm type 1 as well. I've was only diagnosed a little over a month ago and I still have no idea what's going on for the most part ;) This is my first time on these forums. I could use some diabetic friends too :D

The honeymoon's not over yet ;)
Hi Laura, nice to meet you :) wow feels like forever since i had only had diabetes a month. Make the most of still having some of your body's own insulin there :) it can be an up and down journey but meeting new diabetic friends really helps :) it's strange how many diabetics I've met that do things so differently to me hehe :D

LauraJayType1

Hellbunny said:
Aww brill, congratulations! I'm only 12 weeks but already it has been so challenging with levels, I am always hypo or above target. Can I just ask what your target levels are? Mine are 7.8 one hour after meals and below 6 before meals, I've got my fasting levels ok but meal times are iffy. Xx

Awww congrats :) is this your first baby? My target levels are meant to be between 4-6 all day until before bed and then there meant to be between 5-7. Its so confusing sometimes, still trying to get my head round it! Lol. My meal times are mostly good, it's the fasting i just can't for the life of me seem to control! Xx

BethR

Lovely to meet you too! Ive only really spoken to one other person our age so its especially nice to find you!
Well it has been a bit of a challenge getting used to thinking about my blood sugars all of the time, especially as i got diagnosed 2 months after starting uni...but i guess all you can do is stay positive and try your best!!

How do you manage now, does it get easier to manage over time?

Beth xx

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Laura,

I'm Lucy. Recently turned 24, Type 1 diabetic for over 15 years. :) Welcome to the forum x

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi Laura,

Welcome, I'm type 1 too, 17 years nearly, everyone is amazing on here, i've only been on for a month and have had some great chats and advice off everyone :D

LauraJayType1

BethR said:
Lovely to meet you too! Ive only really spoken to one other person our age so its especially nice to find you!
Well it has been a bit of a challenge getting used to thinking about my blood sugars all of the time, especially as i got diagnosed 2 months after starting uni...but i guess all you can do is stay positive and try your best!!

How do you manage now, does it get easier to manage over time?

Beth xx

Oh bless ya! It must be non stop busy for u since starting uni too :) how are u finding uni? Yeah it gets easier in some ways.. Like i do my injections & take my bloods without giving it a second thought but still quite hard going through different situations in life which means sometimes blood control can be better or worse. I do love having diabetes though as it makes me feel abit like a nurse haha and it's nice to meet other diabetics cos we all have something in common :)

Laura xx

BethR

Yeahh its been a bit stressful dealing with hypos in lectures, but i think im still in the honeymoon period so its not been too hard to manage! Plus everyones really supportive! Are you at uni? Or do you work? Do you find people treat you differently?
Beth xx

LauraJayType1

BethR said:
Yeahh its been a bit stressful dealing with hypos in lectures, but i think im still in the honeymoon period so its not been too hard to manage! Plus everyones really supportive! Are you at uni? Or do you work? Do you find people treat you differently?
Beth xx

Was working but in maternity leave now, most people treat me normal but some freak out when they find out i have diabetes and think that ill have a hypo ect. But the more people learn about diabetes, the more relaxed they are about it. Aww i feel for you, i was diagnosed with diabetes when going to secondary school and used to get so embarrassed when having hypo's in class cos most people weren't supportive. It's good everyone's being supportive with you :D