Sweating

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pjd

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about yourself, are you female, what age are you? It may not be down to the metformin. Post something in the 'Greetings and Introductions' section and you will get Daisy's introduction too.

Reactions: Freema

shez40

Dislikes
liars
hey all....i am a type 2 diabetic on diet only at the moment i suffer terribly from sweating too, day and night, its like my thermostat is broken?? :***:

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Watching with interest. I was diagnosed just over a year ago, and since before diagnosis I've found I'm nearly always too hot (especially in work). I have the fan on all year round in there :oops: My review is coming up, so I'm going to mention it to the nurse as one of my friends (also recently diagnosed) had tests done as he was having trouble regulating body temperature...I can't remember what was said about the cause, I'll need to ask him.

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
I to have problems with sweating day and night and have had for quite some time, diagnosed in May T2, prescribed metformin. The sweating keeps me awake at night, I dont know how long I have had undiagnosed diabetes but the nurse said at least two years :( I am female aged 57 but not sure whether the sweating is to do with menopause or diabetes :?

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I'm late onset type 1 but I would like to add since starting insulin I sweat so easily! I'm constantly fanning myself with magazines or my bus pass. 20 mins exercise brings on so much it's dripping off my nose and chin! It's embarrassing :(

oakdaledave

I was diagnosed diabetic about 3 months ago (T2), have had tests before but nothing showed up. However, for the last 5/6 years I have suffered with excessive sweating. Facial sweating is awful and 'embarrassing' doesn't even begin to describe how it makes me feel. I have even had to leave all my shopping in a shop before now and just get out into the air because I felt such a fool. As I write this, sweat is dripping off me. I'm not stressed and my BG is good today. My Dr has tried a number of drugs, but there seems little that can be done. Botox is an option, but NOT offered on the NHS, would only last about 3 months and costs £250 upwards, so no good to me. It's like a living hell at times!

lynncameron

I have been sweating like this for years and years, its embarasing when everyone else is cold!! it makes me feel like some kind of freak :(
I am "SO" glad to hear that its not just me, thought no one else suffered from this nightmare.
I had mentioned the sweating to Dr's quite a few times over the years but the only reaction I got was a look and a shrug!!!!!!!!
I was newly diagnosed last month, type 2, and had heard nothing from Dr's until the other day when I was called in for a blood test and given a questionnaire to fill in and bring with me... in 3 weeks time!!!!! when I will see the dietician, podiatrist and nurse, its all very daunting.
Went to Dr on Fri and that was when I actually found out it was type 2, know absolutely nothing about any of it, was also told my cholesterol was high, blood pressure high and he mentioned something about my liver but for the life of me can't remember what he said :(

Django

Dislikes
Tattoos, Chavs, body piercing, Jamaican patois, Rapping, alleged R&B artists, reality tv.
Me too. I have had excessive sweating for years now. I don't know if it's connected with the diabetes but definately not Metformin as I've only been taking it for approx 5 weeks.
At work I have the aircon on constantly, as cold as it will go. Everyone else keeps turning it off because they are freezing.
Even on an extremely cold winters day I only have to walk for say 10 mins, with a coat on, and I'm soaked in sweat. The back of my shirt gets wet but especially my face and hair. I rarely sleep under the bedclothes, always on top. It's extremely embarrasing.
Doctor did some tests including thyroid but the answer was "you have a sensitive thermostat". It really does put me off some social occasions as I know I will be far too hot and have sweat running down my face.
As other posters: it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Django

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I'm in no implying way this applies to anyone other than me, BUT, I know my diabetes went undiagnosed for years before moving to another practice at the turn of the millennium. It was then in 2000 I was finally diagnosed as a T2 and it was hinted that although many previous Dr's classed me a pre diabetic with no advice whatsoever, new thinking suggested that I may have been a diabetic for several years before that.
Anyway, I had sweated mainly from head and shoulders profusely for many years before diagnosis and previously I was told to avoid situations that made me hot. Under the new practice I was taken more seriously and sent to a whole string of consultants, one of whom discovered I was suffering with nerve damage to my autonomic system, and the biggest clue was 'gustatory sweating' which in simple terms is top 1/4 body sweating brought about by eating, and often worse after a carb rich meal
Unfortunately, it has no known treatment, but keeping BG's well under control will help it not becoming worse. I no longer sweat by eating low to lowish carb meals and can manage a good 1/3rd mile walking before I start to leak; so good BG control has certainly helped me :D

Django

Dislikes
Tattoos, Chavs, body piercing, Jamaican patois, Rapping, alleged R&B artists, reality tv.
Hobs

I'm intersted in your post as that it one of the times I sweat, after (or even during) eating. I have never connected it to carbs so in future I'm going to test before and after eating and see what my levels are and if there is any connection.

Thanks for posting
Django

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Django said:
Hobs

I'm intersted in your post as that it one of the times I sweat, after (or even during) eating. I have never connected it to carbs so in future I'm going to test before and after eating and see what my levels are and if there is any connection.

Thanks for posting
Django

I'm very pleased to have helped at least one other member and if all of us help just one other in here to get to grips with a situation/condition/problem, our point of being a member suddenly feels worthwhile :thumbup:

Feebiecat

The same thing happened to me while i was taking 'normal' metformin so my doctor changed me to slow release and the problem gradually got better.
I also used to have a bloated belly from the normal ones too so slow release helped with that as well

Feebie
x

Feebiecat

Forgot to say...i always 'get the sweats' if i eat too many carbs or the next day if i have had a drink the night before (sometimes even after only a couple of drinks :? )!

Feebie
x

minster

M am new to forum and have been T2 for about seven years and on meteor in for four years. I too suffer from too much sweating and I notice an increase in facial sweating. Interesting debate about taking low carbs. Lots of things I agree with on the forum especially important the importance of experimentation and testing.

Blondie Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Django said:
Hobs

Thanks for posting
Django

And me as i seem to have the same problem

Dislikes
Moaning people who complain they feel tired and ill but do nothing to help themselves.
Sweating for me had been a huge problem for years, not the underarm sweating but face, head and neck sweating. I would be walking around a supermarket and would find myself having to find somewhere to sit. One day an elderly man saw me sitting on a seat that people use to try shoes on, it was middle of winter and I was wearing a white summer dress and had bare arms, he stood and stared at me asking if I needed a glass of water and I was so hot and red, for years I suffered this embarrassment. I would send my hubby into the shop as I knew as soon as I started to walk I'd sweat, it really affected my life :( One day I rode my bike DOWNHILL all the way to the local post office, when I got there I was sweating profusely, I sat down on a plastic garden chair in the post office which was there for old people to sit on in the queue (I only 49 so not yet an old lady) and told the man next to me that I had just rode miles...... I lied. My hair was sticking to my head and my face bright red. The post mistress looked at me and mimed "sugar", I didn't even know the woman. When it was my turn she told me to cut out ALL sugar and ALL carbs..... IT WORKED!! of course being overweight didn't help but giving up sugar and carbs brings the weight down anyway. I was so excited the day I didn't have to take my coat off in the supermarket, in fact I had a jumper on and a coat, when I got outside I said to my huband "look at my head and hair"....... he said "what, I can't see anything"......... I replied "EXACTLY!......... dry as a bone :D

cheryl james

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! I am also suffering with sweating, really bad at night, I have had to start wearing a sleep bra as I was having problems with infected spots under the breast, really sympathise with you, I was told by my doctor that she could give me something, but with all the pills I am taking decided not take the offer, try evening primrose or st johns wort? hope you get it sorted x

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
Pjd said:
Hi, I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and take metformin. My problem is that I am sweating profusely nearly all day and through the night, it is so embarrassing. Is this normal?
I have been diabetic for 25 years and any movement,even normal walking, causes me to sweat like crazy :wave: unless I run on 10 or above.As I don`t want to risk serious associated health problems I just put up with the sweating night and day, I have to change my top at least half a dozen times a day and several times a night,and my pillows and duvet get soaked right through. :thumbdown:
It is good to know I am not the only one :thumbup:

sassywriter43

You poor things. I know what it is like with a broken thermostat. Can I have your internal heating please? Mines broken! I'm forever cold. Honest. My heating is literally on 25 degrees, I am on top of my bed under a thick blanket and shivering. But then I know tonight, I will be too hot well lets say at 3am!! I have lived with this since having been diagnosed with ME, and I know it is part of my ME, as I wasn't diabetic or pre-diabetic when I was 14 years old and have been like it since then.

Please never ever assume something is because of a condition you have, there might be something else going on as well. I firstly assumed my worsening fatigue was the ME getting worse, but it wasn't. I had an infection and got told I was also diabetic. Now I am being told I may also have MS, but cannot go for any tests yet because I am too unstable.