Fizzy drinks and people who don't listen

Lesley r

I took my granddaughter to KFC this afternoon she is 3 she had a kid's meal I asked for diet Pepsi. I had 3 mouthfuls and thought it tasted odd. My sugar level hit 30.0. Why don't people listen we ask for these things usually for a reason!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bought diet coke in a pub last week (I mean i wanted diet coke) and my sugars went up very badly. i went to the guy who served me and asked him why he gave me normal coke. he was insisting it was diet coke :x I dont think they dont listen they just dont care. They think you are just on diet and probably wouldnt notice it wasnt diet drink. I wouldnt recognise as i dont drink fizzy drinks often just my readings were high

Rach06ao

The amount of times I take back a pepsi /coke and say I insisted diet is unbelievable! And the dont believe me! When I tell them my fiance is T1 diabetic and i automatically ask for diet they soon apologise

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It really is annoying, wherever possible I try to ask for soft drinks in tins or bottles as you can clearly see it's diet pop.

iHs

If possible unless I can get Diet Coke etc in a can, then I dont like to take a chance of having Diet from a tap as you dont know what else has been put in the drum beforehand.

A way of testing Diet drinks from the tap is to insert a Clinistix teststrip and if it changes to the wrong colour, then take the drink back to the staff who served it and have a go and then see the manager.

SueR

Ring up KFC HQ - number below - and make your complaint to them and see what they have to say. Report the branch itself and their 'helpful' attitude. Whilst you are at it, explain the dangers they are putting yours and other diabetics health in and add a final threat of reporting them to Trading Standards and the health and hygiene bods.

Customer Careline
0845 753 2532
9am – 4pm Mon – Fri

I gave up being nice to snotty attitudes long ago. If I make a complaint and am not treated with respect I usually take it higher.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As pointed out above, service is generally terrible. They don't make eye contact, they don't listen, sometimes they carry on talking to their mates and they have no imagination. They really don't know why you ask for diet and they really don't want to know why it is important.

When you do see good service, it makes such a pleasant change. Out of a foursome having a meal, two of us were drinking coke, one diet, one regular. Of the four drinks on the tray, the two cokes were distinguished by the diet having a slice of lime and the regular having a slice of lemon. Simple and neat by someone who was trained properly.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SueR said:
Ring up KFC HQ - number below - and make your complaint to them and see what they have to say. Report the branch itself and their 'helpful' attitude. Whilst you are at it, explain the dangers they are putting yours and other diabetics health in and add a final threat of reporting them to Trading Standards and the health and hygiene bods.

Customer Careline
0845 753 2532
9am – 4pm Mon – Fri

I gave up being nice to snotty attitudes long ago. If I make a complaint and am not treated with respect I usually take it higher.

Really good advice,
This is the only way for this problem to get sorted out.
I would still e-mail Trading Standards so the will have a record of complaints to ensure actions will eventually be taken,as they will have many previous complaints.

Roy, :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If anyone serves you sugared drinks when you asked for diet and then won't correct the mistake, just start talking about "Trading Standards". It's Exactly like being sold horse instead of beef. NOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.
Hana

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what you have said handr, but feel that I would like to expand on this sentence, if I may

It's Exactly like being sold horse instead of beef. NOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.

It is more than a NOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR issue. It is also a dangerous thing for them to do. I dont know exactly what would happen if someone on insulin, for example, drank a whole glass of non-diet cola when they werent prepared for it, but I'm sure it would be very harmful to them.

The issue here is one of ENDANGERING people, and must be taken very seriously by the people in charge of places selling drinks. We all know that they would be sued if someone died from a preventable allergic reaction, so this should be just as serious a matter.

mitziemartini

I often get the eye roll when I ask do restaurants have skimmed milk - lower cals, fat & sugar content. A friend of mine who works in hospitality admitted that he always ignored the skimmed milk requests and said he couldn't be bothered with people being fussy.

Wullie

It's a pain. My biggest bugbear at the moment is when you ask for "and soda", they serve it with lemonade! I always say "and soda water" to stress the point.

On the other side of the coin, when I've asked for a soya cappuccino at a coffee shop, it's never been a problem.

sazdragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bullies!!
it's stupid! There has been a few times I have had to take drinks back so now I only have water or something from a bottle :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Lesley r said:
Why don't people listen we ask for these things usually for a reason!

There are on average around two or three threads like this one every year just on this forum alone, so without being rude Lesley I could ask you the same question, why dont people listen.

Never ever buy fizzy drinks unless you see the bottle or tin as you can never be sure what is in fizzy drinks on tap.

The operative may have connected it up to the wrong container of syrup.

The restaurant/pub may have run out and dont realise the consequences for us diabetics, why should they I may not have before I was diabetic.

Even if the right syrup is connected if the customer before you has had a full sugar drink then some of that is still going to be in the trigger and pipework, so you will still end up with some sugar in your drink.

Never drink fizzy drinks from a dispenser, always ask for a bottle or a can that you can see.

Paul Oak

But people, diet drinks are so much worse for you than the accidental sugar hit of standard drinks, just read the latest research on artificial sweeteners and the health risks associated with them, also it has been proven that diet drinks actually promote weight gain, as they condition your body to expect sugars that are then not forthcoming and your system is geared to deal with them.