100g of carbs.

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can somebody illustrate to me how someone can live on 100g. of carbs per day, looking at my carb book it seems starvation is the only answer, I would like to know what they eat per day.

blackcat79

Hi well im new to this v low carb diet was on 130g but BS never in range n have bn going up. Im on meds but now on about 70g or less carbs. Its not easy at all n have spent all afternoon making sauage and egg muffins n egg n cheese bread ( no yeast or flour) each beinh 1g carbs. Ive done it for breaky as everything else sends BS up 2 18! 2 hrs later. Im mainly on salads for lunch n then meat or fish with veg for tea also cottage pie with cauliflower mash is nice. Ive lost nearly a st in just under 4 wks but BS till in mid teens mainly n fasting 12. Its hard work n i get hungery but in time body will get use to it i hope.
Good luck
X

sassywriter43

Hi

On days when I can be bothered, I live on 20 - 30 grams of carbs, but I look at the grams of vegetables. My husband does the cooking and looks at what is it per 100 g, so for example if something like cauliflower is (and these figures are not correct they are just an example as I am upstairs) 2 grams per 100g, and I am going to have 10 g of cauliflower then he will work out what the 10 g is. He blends a lot of my meals down.
I have also stopped eating potatoes, rice, pasta, bread (cannot eat wheat or yeast anyway). I don't eat dairy products. Have food allergies, I don't eat much and am never hungry. I cannot tell you how it affects my blood glucose either as I don't test - I go through enough pain with another condition as it is thank you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I rarely have as much as 50g carbs per day.
An ideal day or me is:
breakfast
scrambled eggs or eggs and bacon.[ I often miss breakfast all together]
lunch
I or 2 low carb cracker [about 4g carb] with cream cheese and a gherkin.[perhaps a salad] or other low carb topping sometimes a salad
Dinner
meat/fish or cheese [my quiche..ish] with loads of veggies. perhaps half an apple or similar for dessert
evening
I strip DARK chocolate
throughout the day
drinks of coffee, tea, mint tea or bouillon
I don't tend to snack.
I am not hungry or starving. In fact I still have weight to lose, but i get all essential nutrients
Hana

Susiebabs

I'm eating Low Carb / High Fat and on about 30 or so grammes of carb a day (sometimes a little more but very rarely over 40). So a typical day will look like today:

Breakfast - two egg omlette (made with cream and a little water plus herbs), with ham and grated cheese topping, finished under the grill to golden and bubbling.

Lunch - some iceberg lettuce with full fat super rich coleslaw, two slices of roast beef rolled round some mayo, some cubed cheese, a teaspoon full of peanut butter and one square of 90% dark chocolate

Snack - usually don't snack but just felt like it today - 6 brazil nuts

Dinner - Organic chicken breast cooked in rosemary oil with roasted peppers, green beans with butter with about 10 raspberries in whipped cream (with a smirr of sweetener) for dessert.

Totally stuffed at the end of the day (though haven't eaten dinner yet as still full up from breakfast and lunch and will only eat it when I'm actually hungry). And I have to say I have been far less hungry eating the way I do now than I ever did while on a carb rich diet. The elimination of the sugar/carb highs and lows has been a total eye opener.

I hope that helps at least a wee bit, but feel free to PM me if you would like to know more.

eggplant

Hi Celast

I usually have around 130 to 150g a day (so not quite as strict as your 100g) but the trick is to eat things that are low carb, like fish, eggs, etc. I have started posting photos of my meals on twitter with carb counts on them - so take a look and you might get some ideas. At the moment, my portions are sometimes quite small as I'm also trying to lose weight, so going for around 1200-1400 cals a day.

https://twitter.com/diabeticbeat

Attachments

• 130225 Stuffed Trout.jpg
    130225 Stuffed Trout.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,194

cheryl50

it may be daunting to start counting carbs. before i was diagnosed in august 2012 i was a big meat and potato gal. loved fried, baked and the heavily carb laden potato chip/crisps. i have now cut from my diet potatoes in any form, rice and bread. if i must have foods that are high in carbs like most desserts (those that taste good anyways) i only have a teaspoon, just a taste and it seems to satisfy me. i seem to have favorite foods for a while and then pick another food that then becomes my favorite. like in august it was salads, now its dill pickles. i used to think that i could never have another burger or pizza but i can, the only difference is that when it comes to burgers i dont eat the bun (remember no breads) and for pizza i order lots of yummy topping but dont eat the crust. this may look strange to others but it works for me. i usually eat under 50 carbs a day but 99% of the time i am not feeling like i am starving and missing out. what also works for me is not eating late. i have finished dinner by 7:30pm and dont snack afterwards. i heard a report on the radio today that said there is a correlation between how late people eat and there blood sugars. it sounded like the doctors are only now starting to take note.

Cultivator

Hi,
I have been trying to cut out carbs altogether - but it is pretty difficult! I am hoping that the huge reduction will make a difference but, to be honest, it hasn't done so far and I am a bit disappointed after nearly 5 months of it. I have cut out bread, pastry, biscuits, root veg, rice, pasta, cereal etc almost entirely. I have a slice of burgen bread every now and then - maybe once a week - and a spoonful of brown rice or one new potato occasionally.
I guess I am still just eating too much :( - I have cream in coffee and eat bacon, salami, cheese, meat etc - I also eat green veg, broccoli, cabbage, courgettes, leeks etc, generally avoiding fruit - except berries . Blood sugars still between 6.3 and 8.3 at present - I haven't seen anything below 6 for a couple of months and often over 7 first thing in the morning - I suppose I haven't seen any 9's either though but I'm not very impressed with myself considering how may carbs I am NOT eating!
Last HbA1c was 52 in 'new money' which I think is over 6 in old. I have been taking 2 x 500mg metformin twice a day for last 4 years, lost a bit of weight initially but still a good few stone to go (well 4 or 5 if I'm honest, although 3 would be grand) . I realise exercise is the way to go - but .. (insert all the usual excuses here...)
Diabetic nurse has suggested additional meds a couple of times and I always said I would keep going with metformin, diet and exercise but I'm feeling a bit disheartened now ... Maybe I will try the meds ???

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all of your reply's it is really helpful but still sounds a daunting task

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally allow 10 g of carb for salad lunch and 10 g of carb for either salad or vegetables for dinner.

A Sainsbury Sweet and Crispy Salad Bowl with dressing (by way of example, although I make my own) amounts to large bowl of salad for lunch. Carbs 3.9 * 2.2 = 8.58 grams. Calories 124 * 2.2 = 273 kcal.

I allow 1 slice of Burgen bread for breakfast at just over 10 g of carb. But half of my breafasts are near to zero carb.

I allow up to 20 g of carb for fruit after dinner.

Therefore, I max out on 50 g of carb a day.

This is very much a sustained diet. My greatest difficulty is cutting the fruit. It is the only carb that I miss.

I presume that all other intake is close to zero.

Therefore, I max out on 50 g of carb a day.