"Newcastle" Diet

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: "Newcastle" Diet

Isn't it great to see real results from your efforts.
Look at that blood sugar and go "RAH!":-xat it
Well done, i bet you'll get a 6.6 next week.:p

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Finzi

Re: "Newcastle" Diet

Frances that is fantastic!! Unbelievable how well you've done in such a short time! I bet it makes it all seem worthwhile :)

Stick with it and even if there are little fluctuations upwards, as there might be, remember that you are doing an amazing job, the trend is plummeting downwards, and you are helping your body fix itself - how empowering! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ShortStuff

That's brilliant - well done you!

I'm low carbing and getting pretty good results, but I'm very tempted to do the Newcastle diet and see if it helps get my levels even lower, so that they stop pushing metformin on me!

I'm getting 6.2 most of the time, some 5/8/5.9's and the odd 6.8/7 two hours after a meal - but mostly back to 6.2 by then.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ShortStuff said:
I'm low carbing and getting pretty good results, but I'm very tempted to do the Newcastle diet and see if it helps get my levels even lower, so that they stop pushing metformin on me!

I'm getting 6.2 most of the time, some 5/8/5.9's and the odd 6.8/7 two hours after a meal - but mostly back to 6.2 by then.

Those are respectable figures and within range of a non diabetic, presume you mean 5.8 when you write 5/8. You don't have to go to the extreme of the calorie restriction or fasting diet to nudge them lower. Frequent short periods of exercise will do it. Exercise improves your insulin sensitivity. I'm not talking about exercise to improve fitness, just 4 min sessions like walking up a steepish hill or staircase or any movement which requires a bit of effort. It releases either a hormone or produces some enzyme which helps the insulin. It's what they used to mean when the advice was to take a walk after a meal because it aided digestion. It's short lived so you have to keep it up but it's not a bad habit to get into. The converse, having a nap after a meal, has the opposite effect and whatever you have eaten carbwise, stays happily in your blood, your natural insulin seemingly also having taken a nap.

FrancesB

Thanks for the congrats, guys :)

I'm not going to lie, it's been a rough few days. I'm still within the calorie count. I don't have anything in the house now to really go off the rails with, and my stomach has shrunk too much to eat a lot of anything, but I made a couple of mistakes. One was eating mashed potato, but that was nowhere near as bad as eating a banana the day after.

What a nightmare! Results all over the place the following day. Still in single figures, but the 7.2 is still my low.

So cue a long depressed day of higher blood sugar and "I can't even eat bananas!" ranting to myself. I don't suppose it helped to see the scales start to report the weight was creeping back up. Now it seems like it might just have been me weighing myself too often, because it is in reality still going down.

Anyway, looks like it's all over now, and back to it. Had a veg casserole last night with onion, broccoli, white cabbage, celery, mushrooms and peppers. I put a load of black pepper in it, but it was still bland. I think I'll make that veg curry again tonight. Curry powder seems to be the one thing that makes veg on their own interesting.

I should also report for those interested about the synchronicity of my blood sugar and mood. When I began testing nearly three weeks ago, I made myself an Excel sheet, and found that higher blood sugar showed a corresponding increase in mood. Lower blood sugar had the opposite effect.

After starting this diet, I saw an increase in energy and therefore an improvement in mood (not high in any way, and not "normal", but certainly less depressed). The last few days I noticed that as the blood sugar went up (my highest reading was 9.8 ), the mood went down and that's a deviation from before. I'm not certain what came first to be quite honest, the low mood or the high BG, but I did think it was worth noting here on this thread.

Frances x

ETA: Forgot to add that I've moved from Slim-Fast onto the ASDA Measure Up shakes, which are made wholly with water and have a much lower sugar content.

FrancesB

For those interested, this is how they compare:

SLIM FAST (per 36.5 serving)------------ASDA MEASURE UP (per 50g serving)

Calories......................230............202
Protein.......................14.0...........17.6
Carbohydrate................35.0...........23.0
(of which sugars)...........31.0...........6.2
Fat............................2.5............4.2
(of which saturates)........0.4............1.1
Fibre.........................4.0.............1.0
Sodium.......................0.24...........0.17

Vitamins % RDA
A..............................48............35
D..............................84............35
E..............................83............170