Out and about with Sharps!

BobCornelius

At home and at work I have easy access to sharps bins for needles, ( I work in Operating Theatres ), but when out and about in shops or restaurants, or even away for a weekend, I always carry a couple of empty test strip containers, these are generally made from dense plastic and make an ideal temporary sharp disposal container!

Anyone else use similar, or even something better?

:)

Bob

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BobCornelius said:
At home and at work I have easy access to sharps bins for needles, ( I work in Operating Theatres ), but when out and about in shops or restaurants, or even away for a weekend, I always carry a couple of empty test strip containers, these are generally made from dense plastic and make an ideal temporary sharp disposal container!

Anyone else use similar, or even something better?

:)

Bob

I use the same, they make a perfect little sharps container, I have put a label on them saying used needles.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Hope this can help as an extra idea :idea:

I use a very - very small rectangle snap shut - tupperware box.
These are available at morrisons supermarket only about 30p :thumbup:
[where they sell flasks and tupperware boxes]
They are ideal, tiny plastic box small enough for in a ladies handbag or in a gentlemans pocket .

Once I get home - I tip all sharps out of it , into my yellow sharps bin ! :thumbup:

Anna.

mickthered

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Started using the test strip containers myself but now having swapped over to the accu mobile the lancets come in a cartridge so it now eliminates that problem as well as dropping the spare lancets everywhere, just a case of dropping the used cartridge in the bin don't know if that's the right thing to do but as there is nothing sharp cant see it as a problem

taffy_63

I used to use empty specimen bottles for both new and used sharps before I went on to the pump. Now I still keep on empty pot in my bag in case I need to change my canula, mainly because they are clear and anyone can see what's inside! The needle clippers are also available on prescription but don't work on all lancets.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
misslotty1 said:
Hi,
my nurse gave me a needle clipper.I love it Its very compact, and once clipped you just chuck the other bits in the bin. X

Excuse my ignorance but what do you do with the needle once clipped?

mrsgreensmith

I'm very naughty, I only change my lancet about once a month.. oops! Therefore I always do it at home and it's never a problem. My needles that I inject insulin with go into a pencil case which I carry my insulin glucose meter lancet etc in with their caps on. Never had a problem and been doing it for years now in fact I read some of dr bernsteins book and because they have to pay for their own lancets in America he recommends that you can use them more than once before changing them.

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bought some plasters that were in a tin. So I now use that, ( it's gears of war tin so pretty cool). When I go away I use a wounder woman tin lunch box.

sillynanny49

I also use a pill pot which is clearly marked as containing sharps. I used to have a needle clipper, had to try to explain it once when going through customs, and dissuade them from trying to force it open!!!