Travel chill boxes

vespa

Hi all,

I have looked at travel chill boxes for when I am travelling, I have seen medicase and Dison chill boxes, I wonder if you know of any more and which is recommended based on your experience, which is very reliable in your experience.

I had planned to go to Gran Canaria but my recent diagnosis has put that on the back burner while dealing with my new condition, now I would like to be able to go to hot countries without worrying about keeping my insulin cool.

Many thanks :D

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Hello Vespa

My pharmacist advised wrapping in bubble wrap but I have not had the need to see if this works or not. My pharmacist's husband has t1 diabetes and said thats what he uses when travelling to hot countries.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Look up Frio .
They make wallets that work well, I've use them for extended back packing trips in the South of France with no problems. Mines about seven years old now and probably will need replacement soon but I think I've had good value from it.They don't rely batteries or electricity.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello vespa.

If going on a holiday abroad, 1 'or' 2 frio 'large sized' wallets are both great and ideal .
The special crystals in these will KEEP your insulin at a cooled temperature all the time!
The wallets can be carried about even in the hot/warmer climates.
[my handbag or the hubbys pocket]

They are designed for this specially :thumbup:
The large size wallets hold both pens and cartridges and vials perfectly .
To keep the wallets at suited/ideal temperature efficiently - just re-dunk them in cold water.
Towel dry off the excess water and re-pack your insulin etc...

You can buy these VAT free as a diabetic too . :)

Hope this helps.

Anna.

vespa

Thnaks for all your advice, I have decided to buy a Frio XL pack which gives me expansion from from 1 to 4 pens and brought a medifidge for travel in a car or in a hot country to keep it cool.

Fairly pricey but what price can you put on your life ?

Paul Oak

No need to pay a fortune, I found a drinks can chiller in a pound shop, big enough to hold four 330ml cans, this is big enough for a small freezer pack and all my insulin requirements etc, I work and travel to Madrid and back every month and this works perfectly, or is it I'm just to mean to spend (waste?) ££££££'s. It also has the benefit that it looks medical, it is white, and even Ryan air have never argued about allowing it aboard, in addition to my normal cabin allowance.