Ketones in non diabetic children ?

misslotty1

I am type 1 and so is my brother. I have 3 children and am constantly looking out for diabetic symptoms. Diabetes runs in their dads side too. My youngest son had been poorly on and off for months, he is 2 and half. He suffers from enlarged tonsils and is thirsty all the time. The doctors all was say "its viral" sends us off sometimes with antibiotics. Last week he had convulsion . The paramedics tested his blood and it was 7.2. So I thought great :) but he is mildly poorly again. I tested his ketones today and it went dark, it was not pink, more grey/purple.
Do I now panic ? Is this normal for a non diabetic?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you tested his sugar level since the ketones? Ketones aren't always 'bad' they can be caused by not drinking enough water and not eating enough carbs, maybe this is the case if he is poorly, hope everything is alright x

misslotty1

I have just done it and it is 5.4. So I am happpy with that. Does that mean I can ignore the ketones? Im going to check them again when I lift him before I go to bed. He has definitely drunk enough, food/carbs probably not. Thank you so much for replying. X

LauraJayType1

I think testing his ketones again is a good idea, if they go dark purple i would take him to a doctor cos for a non diabetic to have that many ketones it's quite strange. Good luck, hope he gets better soon! :)

AMBrennan

I am not entirely sure why you would routine check ketones when BG is normal if you suspect diabetes (which I assume you do since you are posting on a diabetes forum).

Ketones may be present due to a number of reasons, most notably not eating properly ("food/carbs probably not"). It basically means that your body is breaking down fat for energy rather than using the body's preferred fuel glucose.

In the insulin-dependent diabetic, concentrations of free fatty acids continue to increase uncontrollably until ketoacidosis ensues. In addition to fasting, prolonged starvation, and uncontrolled diabetes, ketonuria may be observed in other physiologic conditions. Acute alcoholism and severe and prolonged exercise may result in ketonuria. Ketone bodies may also be detected in the urine during the third trimester of pregnancy, labor and delivery, the immediate postpartum period, and occasionally during lactation.
(source)

Whilst I cannot comment on whether you should go see a doctor if he is "mildly poorly" and suffers from convulsions, I would be pretty confident that it is not diabetes.