Night time toilet visits

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can i ask how many times people get up in the night for a wee ? Some nights i get up as much as 6 times and I wondered if this was quite normal in other diabetics, I asked the doctor here in Spain where i live and he said it was too much and did a urine test to rule out any infection which came back normal. My last blood test was 6.5 which is good so all seems under control. I would appreciate your replies.

candiloo

This happens to me if my level is high. I am also thirsty so keep feeding the weeing. I make sure I won't hypo in the night, but that the level is as perfect as possible by not eating too many carbs before sleep, but ensuring I am not going to wake up because I am hungry. Tricky balance. It may just be that your level is higher then, insulin takes longer to kick in or you have had too many carbs for the amount of insulin you are taking at night and the bg is high and you are getting rid of it. It might help if you record the level, how many carbs, how much insulin etc and see if there is a pattern, especially as you only seem to have and issue at night. Good luck

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At diagonoses, six times a night was common.

After one year, I am getting through whole nights regularly if sleep is undisturbed.

I just thought that it was a man-thing and never complemplated diabetes.

I now drink huge quantities of water but can still make it through the night.

When I look back, I can see that I had had the problem for many years.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't go at all during the night, go to bed at 10 get up about 7.30

DaveNN

With me you can set a clock to my morning urinary habits.

7:15 am each and very day...., then I wake up!!!!!!

My bed doesn't have posture springs but does have a shallow end!

( joke!)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sterling said:
At diagonoses, six times a night was common.

After one year, I am getting through whole nights regularly if sleep is undisturbed.

I just thought that it was a man-thing and never complemplated diabetes.

I now drink huge quantities of water but can still make it through the night.

When I look back, I can see that I had had the problem for many years.

You may have stumbled on a interesting point. Drinking a huge quantity of water might reverse the need to relieve yourself so often.(just a thought)

Roy. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some medications can have side-effects that make you want to pee more, for example bp meds (diuretics) which are often called water tablets ­can make you frequent the toilet more often.

I found cutting out caffeinated drinks helped immensely, I now only drink decaffeinated tea and coffee and don't drink soft drinks containing caffeine.

Hi I know it can be very irritating when you have to get up in the night to pee. I have been using Victoza injection for the last year,I have found that it has only been in the last few months I seem to want to go to the toilet more in the night.

in exile

Kimmymanwaring said:
Hi I know it can be very irritating when you have to get up in the night to pee. I have been using Victoza injection for the last year,I have found that it has only been in the last few months I seem to want to go to the toilet more in the night.

Kimmy - Do you snore?
I ask because my wife used to go to the toilet upto 8 times a night.
She is now being treated for Sleep Apnoea by using a C.P.A.P machine, commonly used to help snorers.
She now goes to the loo twice a night

sazdragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bullies!!
I don't use visit the loo every night but when I do it's quite a few times. It's horrible esp when you have to get out of a nice warm bed to a freezing bathroom :( booo

allycatt22

This usually happens to me on a regular occurance, my mum even gets aggravated at me, it wakes her up... However it use to be much worse whilst I was going through the honey moon stage, not it only happens when my blood sugars are high.... As long as you sort it out before bed it usually means less times.

However its subconsciously in my mind that I always need to go to the toilet due to how regular it use to be, you have to overcome that aswell..

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to rein in my bs because after months of non testing and eating wrecklessly my BS are horrible. in fact for the last few months i do not think i had more than a handful of nights where i did not wake up once to four times a night (depending on what i ate) to go to the loo.

Yesterday after a low carb dinner i am happy that i slept straight till 6.30 without waking up for a loo visit.... :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I get up once or sometimes twice in the night, but I put it down to age [66]. My blood glucose is NEVER high enough to cause it.
Not everything is diabetes related

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get up once for me and once for the dogs!! why they can't co-ordinate and go when I do I'll never know! :roll: (though I will not be joining them 'down the garden'!)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you are right it is worse if I have had a bad day and not kept best control of the carbs. Sunday prime example had a few naughties as it was mothers day and was up to the loo about 5 times so another lesson learnt !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DCUK Forum mobile app

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Night time visits to the loo can be an age thing. I go frequenly and NEVER have a BG above 7, but I am 66 years old
Hana

jon1970

hi,up until starting on levemir insulin 3 months ago,i was just on metformin (glcazide made me very moody and depressed) for 8 years and i could go for a pee upto 8 times a night (plus had chronic night sweats).but since starting on the insulin if i am undisturbed i can sleep all night,(the night sweats have now all but gone)but if i am disturbed it can be 2 to 3 times(with night sweats).i just put it down to one of the side effects of being diabetic :thumbup: