Insulin & weight gain?

LauraCath

Hi all :)

I'm a fairly newly diagnosed t1 diabetic. Before I knew that I had diabetes, I lost 3 stone due to the undiagnosed condition. I was never extremely fat, but I was a stone or 2 overweight for my 5'4 height, and this weight loss put me slightly underweight. Since going on insulin, I've put on maybe 3lbs in fluid and another 3lbs of weight, and am looking much better. However, the first time I saw my dietician she informed me that all of my lost weight would definitely go back on, and I've heard stories of t1s regaining all of their lost weight within a week of starting on insulin (I've been on it for over a month).

So what I'd really like to know is - are there any t1s who have managed to stay relatively slim/not put back on all of their pre-diagnosis lost weight?

Obviously I'm glad to be healthy again, regardless of what my weight ends up being, but I suppose my new body was kind of the silver lining after being diagnosed :p

Thanks
Laura

Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was diagnosed about 1.5 years ago and also lost 2 stone. At 6ft 3 and now 13 stone still trying to put weight on.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

LauraCath

It's good to know that it doesn't happen to everyone. I think maybe I have a complex about it because its literally the first thing my dietician ever said to me! 'How much weight did you lose? Well it's all going to go back on' Obviously id rather it didn't :p

Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic.

Melaniejane86

Hi Laura I've been t1 diabetic for about 14 year I went down to 4 and a half stone when I was diagnosed at the age of 12!! I will not lie to u u will put weight on but it all depends what you eat if u lead a relatively healthy lifestyle low carbs ect then u shouldn't put much weight on!!! So the more u eat the more insulin is needed!! Unfortunately diabetes is a pain in the backside lol
Hope this helps xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App