Fizzy drinks and people who don't listen

Paul Oak

@SueR , another approach that I have seen work really well is to say, "as a customer I am disgusted with your attitude, but as a shareholder of the company I am absolutely appalled at the service shown here", I have had quite a number of grovelling managers frightened that head office would get to hear, or if its a franchise it is even better as the local franchisee will be frightened of getting a non-compliance fine from the franchisor.

But you still shouldn't be drinking diet drinks!

C

chris lowe

I can usually tell when I've been given fat coke but must have missed it last week as my sugar next morning was 13 and it's not normally more than 5.5 so can only put it down to having the full fat stuff. If I'm not sure I get hubby to check as he hates artificial sweetner and can taste it almost before it touches his lips. When you get coke from a pump there is always the risk that they've got the wrong concentrate hooked up, so I'm going to switch to fizzy water or ask for a botlle or can of fizz. :D

SueR

Sorry Paul I will continue to drink fizzy drinks and in particular diet coke. This is my choice, I choose to drink it.

I don't drink anything hot and get tired of diet squash. I find water boring, fruit juice sends my sugar's sky high. I need fluid and so I drink fizzy diet drinks and squash most of the time. I have long given up worrying about the effects of sweeteners.

These are my choices.

What annoys me is fast food places who ignore my requests for diet drinks and serve me normal. Then I do get annoyed - as we all should - and it's then I will complain. If I am served the drink I ask for, then I am quite happy.

ashleyburt

Ive found that fizzy drinks out of the tap still have sugar in them. I have questioned and checked this in my local pub looking at the cartons of syrup which is dilluted and can only put it down to the mixer taps still have the syrup residue from the sugar based drinks in them and is transferred to your diet drink. However KFC have independant taps so no excuse.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Mitzie - Nice friend

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I also don't drink hot drinks and I do find that on the odd occasion I go out I am limited to what I can drink at the pub/restaurant. One that I tend to go to more often now serves Pepsi Max, which is my fave. But on occasion I have asked a friend to try my drink as it seemed too sweet, they hate diet versions so can tell. But at the pub, what else is there to drink? Water? The squash in my usual haunt is full sugar so no good. I used to drink diet coke like it was going out of fashion, but these days I prob drink less than 1 fizzy drink per week or two. Im not used to the caffine anymore and it keeps me up.

But if I wasn't sure if I'd been served diet or full fat as I call it, I would return it to be replaced.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I actually used to work in a bar where we didn't have diet pepsi on tap, only regular pepsi. We only sold diet pepsi in cans (40p more expensive), but I'd ring them in the till as tap prices so people wouldn't have to pay extra. Naughty me :lol:

SueR

I find that any Pepsi products give me palpitations, it has to be diet coke or nothing. I avoid anything connected to Pepsi like the plague as I am really ill after drinking it. Diet coke is fine..

The latest research now says that artificial sweeteners do not give you cancer. Bit like eggs are bad for you, but now they are not. I tend to take it all with a pinch of salt these days. I stick to the things that I like and work for me.

Makes me wonder if these experts really are experts and actually know what they are doing :roll:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Giverny said:
I actually used to work in a bar where we didn't have diet pepsi on tap, only regular pepsi. We only sold diet pepsi in cans (40p more expensive), but I'd ring them in the till as tap prices so people wouldn't have to pay extra. Naughty me :lol:

I have been in your bar and was told to watch out for that Givetny who rings in normal tap Coke as "diet coke in cans" :)

OK only joking. mind you not a bad idea.

Roy. :thumbup:

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
Lesley r said:
I took my granddaughter to KFC this afternoon she is 3 she had a kid's meal I asked for diet Pepsi. I had 3 mouthfuls and thought it tasted odd. My sugar level hit 30.0. Why don't people listen we ask for these things usually for a reason!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I have had the same problem in pubs and different fast food outlets :thumbdown: . Q:Why don`t pubs. offer sugar free squash or other sugar free options ? Being type 1 I cannot drink a whole night`s worth of orange juice! :roll:

SueR

If we are going out for the night I have been know to take my own sugar free squash and ask for plain soda water to mix with it.

If I am challenged about this I tell them to provide sugar free squash and I'll buy it, rather than bring my own. Simples as they say :lol:

Lily47

Your blood sugar hit 30 after a few mouthfuls of Pepsi? Wow, did they forget to add the water to the syrup? At my KFC the drinks machines are right infront of you so I suppose all you can do is watch them go to the machines. Or specify "it must be diet" when ordering.

AnnaBanana

Whenever I am given a full sugar drink after asking for diet, I smile sweetly, ask for them to change it for diet like I asked. If I am met with the whole 'you must have ordered the wrong drink' attitude I offer to take it back to my table, but could they please call me an ambulance as my blood sugars are about to go sky high and make me very ill. I have once been given full sugar and been told they wouldn't change it as it WAS diet. After asking for the manager to make an official complaint as I wasn't being taken seriously, I get a new drink and the next one free.

Don't accept their incompetence, stand up for yourself.

AMBrennan

I offer to take it back to my table, but could they please call me an ambulance as my blood sugars are about to go sky high and make me very ill.
You were lucky to have found a manger completely ignorant of diabetes. I'm glad he didn't waste NHS time and risk lives by taking you seriously and actually calling an ambulance.

Re topic: If you are so concerned, and have made bad experiences in the past then just order water or tea or something as that seems simpler than testing drinks for sugar every time.

AnnaBanana

AMBrennan said:
I offer to take it back to my table, but could they please call me an ambulance as my blood sugars are about to go sky high and make me very ill.
You were lucky to have found a manger completely ignorant of diabetes. I'm glad he didn't waste NHS time and risk lives by taking you seriously and actually calling an ambulance.

It's not like I would actually go and take the drink away and wait for an ambulance!!! It's a line I have used to make them understand how serious their their mistake can be. The operative word being 'OFFER'.

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
This isnt a new one to me folks, whilst ive been diagnosed diabetic for 8 months ive had a garlic allergy for nearly 10 years and trust me when I say there is garlic in more things than there is sugar.. The key here is to wear your diabetes stripes with pride and tell the world you have it prior to ordering anything.
With Garlic I would make the waitress aware upon first being seen that I have an allergy and unless they want me to blow up like a puffer fish and have an ambulance here i'll need a little more looking after than the regular Joe; I then ask the waitress to go back to the kitchen with the menu and let me know what is safe to eat from it and still question some of the responses.
My point here is don't feel awkward or victimised by your disease, feel liberated, you're now entitled to special treatment! Announce it and demand to be treated like a king! You are the customer and the food and drink you consume in a restaurant should be nothing less then first class.
I always feel that customer service is 80% of the experience of a good meal. Show your stripes when you enter the establishment, that way should you receive anything in error that could seriously affect your well being the onus is very much on the establishment to explain, why when you made it so clear that it was a health risk to you would they think it was acceptable, and how are what do they think they should do to rectify their error...
Many of my meals out have been free, many places I return to because they look after me and as soon as the waitress comes over shes says no garlic right? what can I get you.

Cheers Andy

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oskanoears said:
This isnt a new one to me folks, whilst ive been diagnosed diabetic for 8 months ive had a garlic allergy for nearly 10 years and trust me when I say there is garlic in more things than there is sugar.. The key here is to wear your diabetes stripes with pride and tell the world you have it prior to ordering anything.
With Garlic I would make the waitress aware upon first being seen that I have an allergy and unless they want me to blow up like a puffer fish and have an ambulance here i'll need a little more looking after than the regular Joe; I then ask the waitress to go back to the kitchen with the menu and let me know what is safe to eat from it and still question some of the responses.
My point here is don't feel awkward or victimised by your disease, feel liberated, you're now entitled to special treatment! Announce it and demand to be treated like a king! You are the customer and the food and drink you consume in a restaurant should be nothing less then first class.
I always feel that customer service is 80% of the experience of a good meal. Show your stripes when you enter the establishment, that way should you receive anything in error that could seriously affect your well being the onus is very much on the establishment to explain, why when you made it so clear that it was a health risk to you would they think it was acceptable, and how are what do they think they should do to rectify their error...
Many of my meals out have been free, many places I return to because they look after me and as soon as the waitress comes over shes says no garlic right? what can I get you.

Cheers Andy
So do you have an allergy to onions also?
Same family and very closely related.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

AMBrennan

It's a line I have used to make them understand how serious their their mistake can be.
My point is that the mistake cannot be that serious. Drinking a bottle of regular sugar cola will not put you in a state that requires an ambulance. The public is ignorant of diabetes already, and I don't think that gross exaggerations like that help.