Late night munchies - what are you eating?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can't sleep for some reason and I'm hungry!

So I'm having a roll of cooked ham with chilli mustard (ouch) and a hard boiled egg dipped in salt and black pepper.

Oh, and a small glass of white wine.

I've managed to avoid the nicest things in the fridge - just as well the protein snacks were there.

Cheers

LGC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I once rolled up a stick of celery in a slice of ham as a way of not having bread. It was surprisingly nice and I have had the same several times since. I sometimes put coleslaw in the wrap but you have to watch the drips.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Hmmm ... well I've been having trouble with disturbed sleep so recently I thought I'd try a glass of wine half an hour or so before bed. I'm not a regular drinker so a glass of wine usually knocks me out. So for a week or so I had a glass of rose wine, not every night but perhaps every 3 nights and after about a week I found my stomach was churning and gurgling all the time and I was getting very hungry and also instead of waking up at night needing the loo, I was then waking up needing to eat!

So I've knocked the wine on the head again and finally accepted, I'm useless at drinking alcohol.

Since starting on Metformin and changing diet I'm rarely hungry (apart from the wine) but if I do feel like a snack before bed, it will usually be a couple of Jacob's Savoury cracker with a dollop of cottage cheese or egg mayo sandwich spread. Having said that, on Sunday evening at 10.30pm I was tucking into a grilled duck breast just before going to bed!

I had my breakfast late that day so didn't feel like a proper lunch later on, so by 10pm I was a wee bit peckish so I tucked into the duck. :D

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since discovering vegetarian indian food, I make up the 4 portions as per the recipes, my wife and I eat 2 and then I make up 4 half portions for snacks which either go in the freezer or fridge. This recipe, Chole, is great with a half wholewheat nan for supper. It's all packed with carbs but for some reason, it never takes me out of the 5s or low 6s. Everyone is different of course so testing is key.

http://www.sailusfood.com/2011/03/16/punjabi-chole/

A lot of this type of food is very simple, normally boring beans and lentils, but following a recipe and adding the right spices, they are completely transformed. They have calories and so are not going to help with losing weight but small portions for snacks may work for those wanting carbs without sugar spikes. I was very surprised with the results. Portion control though is important. If you have warmed up more than what you intend to eat, you'll eat it all. Freeze everything in half or quarter portions, even nans.

BarbaraMc

Sometimes it's a couple of handfuls of almonds, or a couple of Ryvitas with butter or cheese, but tonight it's a bowl of raspberries, blueberries and Greek yoghurt and a splash of cream.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BarbaraMc said:
Sometimes it's a couple of handfuls of almonds, or a couple of Ryvitas with butter or cheese, but tonight it's a bowl of raspberries, blueberries and Greek yoghurt and a splash of cream.
Nice x;-)

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

volvicwater22

I go freaking nuts. honestly im so glad dafne exists now because i eat way too much... chips, burgers, pasta you name it, i really cant fill my self up on just a snack and my sleeping patterns are all over the shop at the moment haha

WhitbyJet

I rarely feel hungry late at night, but if I do it depends on whether I want something sweet or savory.
I am always well stocked up so it could be nuts, cheese, salami, leftovers, muffins, cake or ice cream, sandwich, olives, veg and dips, soup, quiche, berries with cream or yogurt, or chocolate truffle.

All lowcarb of course.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I get through at least one jar of Lidl's cornichons a week. crunchy and flavourful
Celery with cream cheese works too. I hate the strings in the celery, so I "peel" them away with a pealer first.
Hana