Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's correct, eat a non fatty meal and take your quick-acting insulin as normal then start testing 4 hours after eating (the previous bolus dose is all but exhausted at this point) then miss your next meal and insulin dose, in theory your bg should go up or down by no more than 1-2 mmol if your basal dose is correct.

Just one other thing, try and avoid stressful situations and exercise too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
james1980 said:
i know this will sound a bit thick but which is basal and which is bolus?

As katto says it's your levemir which is the basal in your case. Obviously you still need to take your levemir when conducting a fasting test :)

james1980

i'm new on here i didn't mean to post question twice, sorry katto i don't want u to think i'm not taking your answers on board. i've got loads of questions i need answering like do i need to eat when injecting basal?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The way I remember it is that long acting acts as the base of control so is called basal.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
James1980

If you are wanting to test your basal rate... Do you know what you are trying to achieve by testing?

First off tou should only test your basal rate when you are starting from a good blood level reading.. Between 5 and 8 ideally. You must not have had any correction injections or food or hypo's within the 4-5 hours prior to testing your basal rates.

You MUST stop testing basal rates if your tests go too low or too high... And you must treat appropriately.

In an ideal world with loads of strips you would test every hour, however every 2 hours is ok.

So an example is.... You wake up at 6.7... You havent ate all night or had a hypo.. So you can ideally skip breakfast and your bolus injection. You ideally test every hour or two.. Or if you feel levels are changing too much. You could carry this on past lunch time if you wanted.. Providing your levels stay in limits...
I will allow mine on odd, rare occasions to go up to 12 before I correct with a bolus....I then don't eat for 5 hours to check that my correction bolus brings me down to 6.5 at the end of 5 hours. If I get down to normal levels before 5 hours then I know I have given too much correction insulin and I would end up hypo within 5 hours.

This works for MDI and pumps... but, you must be able to monitor closely, and stop and eat or stop and correct if necessary.

Then you must be able to react and adjust as necessary according to your results.