Fizzy drinks and people who don't listen

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I bought a meal at a fast food restaurant and ordered a diet coke s I had seen they had a self serve bar and as I was helping myself thought it would be safe enough I took 1 mouthful and thought this doesn't taste right took it back and a staff member had hooked a coke box up to a diet coke line I was disgusted h dint seem a problem to the manager who just said she will sort it shrugged her shoulders and walked away, I hav not seen her there since

C burns

I had a similar problem recently. I usually get a KFC with my 2 kids on a sat after my daughters dance class. Started feeling unwell and kpt a food diary but only really noticed it was always on a Saturday. Last Saturday when I went to KFC I ordered our usual food but when I asked 4 my sprite zero (my usual drink) the girl told me they Dnt sell it n only had normal sprite. I explained I get a sprite zero every time I'm there, the girl double checked and to my surprise they have never sold it. I was furious that every week they had never actually listened but given a ****.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kfc service is rubbish.
And if you work there i don't care .

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

AnnaBanana

AMBrennan said:
It's a line I have used to make them understand how serious their their mistake can be.
My point is that the mistake cannot be that serious. Drinking a bottle of regular sugar cola will not put you in a state that requires an ambulance. The public is ignorant of diabetes already, and I don't think that gross exaggerations like that help.

One pint of regular coke sends my bg up to 38+. Imagine how high it would be if I spent an evening drinking it!! I actually feel b***** awful when I have had too much sugar, dizzy, blured vision, sick... even if the high BG itself isn't dangerous enough to require help it leaves me more at risk from having an accident.

People often use exaggeration and sarcasm when complaining, it tends to get the problem sorted far quicker and it sticks in the bar tender's mind too. So long as it brings it to their attention and emphasises how important it is to get it right every time is what matters.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope I've not missed something here and I genuinely apologise if I've got it very wrong but my understanding from looking at regular coke is that it contains about 10g carbs per 100ml, which makes it just the same as fruit juice (although I do realise it's different types of sugar etc).

working on the basis that 10g carbs = 1 carb portion = bg increase of 3
Even if you did end up with a pint of regular cola and did drink it thinking it was diet cola,that would equate to 5 or 6 cp = BG increase of 15-18. To have your bg at 30+ then you must've already been quite high. surely if you're checking your sugars levels regularly then you'll spot this very quickly?

like I say I don't know, I've not been on DAFNE and despite being t1 for a very long time, i have had extremely little education about how to work it so you guys probably know a lot more about it than me.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Alasdair, 1 ch does not equal a 3 unit rise for all. Everyone has different carb ratios. For me 10 carbs would raise my sugars by 4 units. So I point of coke would send me probably of my meter as it is also very quick to work . Also 1 unit would drop me by 3.5 so insulin sensitive also. Other people might see a higher rise again some a smaller rise.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
fair enough Brett, as I said, I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to some of this stuff in comparison to others

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Alasdair said:
fair enough Brett, as I said, I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to some of this stuff in comparison to others
No problem, that what makes controlling it difficult, simply cause everyone is different there are no set rules but more general advice.

AnnaBanana

brett said:
Alasdair, 1 ch does not equal a 3 unit rise for all. Everyone has different carb ratios. For me 10 carbs would raise my sugars by 4 units. So I point of coke would send me probably of my meter as it is also very quick to work . Also 1 unit would drop me by 3.5 so insulin sensitive also. Other people might see a higher rise again some a smaller rise.

Thank you!! At least someone realises that we are all different! I too am highly sensitive to both high GI sugars and insulin. When my reading is 10-12, I have to eat something small in order to take one unit as it drops me down to 3.5 - 4 (not by 3.5 - 4 units but actually down to 3.5-4!) It's a royal pain being so sensitive to both, but at least any hypos are easy to deal with, with minimum carbs!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in disbelief last night as the pub that I go to regularly know that I am diabetic, but they gave me a normal pint of coke by mistake and I even had to ask one of my friends who is type 1 if i could test myself as I recently had my meter taken away from me and cannot afford to buy one. Anyways my sugars were at 23.5 last night and this morning now at 18.3

destiny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree, its unbelievable how often this happens. I can taste the difference in a large measure, but not so much as a mixer with alcohol. At least the alcohol drinking is rare, but ll the same, it bothers me and I dont have the luxury of an injection to counter-act it. :problem:

AnnaBanana

destiny said:
I dont have the luxury of an injection to counter-act it. :problem:

You obviously don't understand the complications that come with injecting insulin if you consider it to be a luxury. Try having to change it all the time for different meal sizes, infection, illness, counteracting the effects of other drugs which change BG, stress, exercise, how recent the long acting insulin was used...... yeah life of pure luxury we lead!! :clap:

skhwoody

i have fallen foul of this couple of times, when suddenly feeling terrible. After that the offer of a free diet one doesn't really matter, as i feel so **** i just gave up.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
destiny said:
I agree, its unbelievable how often this happens. I can taste the difference in a large measure, but not so much as a mixer with alcohol. At least the alcohol drinking is rare, but ll the same, it bothers me and I dont have the luxury of an injection to counter-act it. :problem:
I found this too.
Ace avatar you've got there.:smile: artistic!

lynde89

I can tell sugar coke from diet easily, & some of the reactions after returning it when it's wrong after just taking 1 sip is crazy, most of the times they are great, but others just don't believe you! Once I tell them I've been diabetic since 4, so I can tell the difference, most get the picture :)
I have even had people tell me I don't want or need diet as I don't look like I need it! Appearances have nothing to do with it, I'm asking for it for a reason. Plus sugary coke (& all soda) I think is ewwwy, & it would send my sugars crazy :/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Susiebabs

Strangely I never liked the taste of normal coke so was fortunate enough to be able to tell the difference easily. Now however I'm far more worried about the chemical content of most fizzy drinks so for refreshment drink plain delicious water and for a mixer I have soda water (or else I drink red wine). It's effectively eliminated the problem. Prior to the change though there were a few occasions where I got the wrong pop - either through careless servers or through friends who forget to ask clearly for diet when it's their round!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been fortunate that I get what I order but once on a date the guy got me a regular coke even though he knew I had diabetes. Felt really sick and strange. His excuse? He didn't realise there was a difference! Inconsiderate and slightly stupid so Very short relationship. I was a diet coke addict. Couldn't get enough of the stuff. But one day I had a glass in front of me and just realised I was basically drinking a glass of chemicals. Do scientists even know the long term repercussions? I have cut way back but must confess I still lapse occasionally!!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure there's a natural cola out there, we used to stock one at Harvey nicks but I'm going back 3 years there.
I've seen one in Holland and barrett too, but haven't read the label.

dianne1966

very interesting reading on some of these posts about fizzy drinks on a good few occasions when i have got a so called diet coke out of kfc or such like i know it is not diet as i always check my bloods before i go in last time i went i was 4.9 and took the drink as i assummed it was diet coke like i asked for after a few mouth fulls and maybe 15 mins later i checked it again it was 10.3 i took it back and complained i got talked down to like a child but i certainly got my point across not all is what it seems in some of these fast food places there so called drinks are syrup and watered down so there will be some form of sugar in it now i give up and drink water lol :lol: