Degludec

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Is this new basal insulin here in the uk yet and if so has anyone used it :?: :?:

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to the MHRA website it seems to be available in England although a letter has been issued to all health care professionals warning that Tresiba (Degludec) comes in 100U/ml and 200U/ml strengths.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/comm ... 228797.pdf

I live in Scotland and mt consultant says that the SMC is unlikely to approve it before April.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In my area (greater Manchester) a few of the people on levemir have been swapped to this 2 weeks ago. I'm choosing not to as I'm so far doing well on levemir and don't want to fix what 'aint broken so to speak

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nessals

I was told that no one in my area is getting this new insulin.I live in Swansea,South Wales.Im very disappointed,i was hoping that would give me better control.Im currently on novorapid and levemir,the levemir is split into 2 injections 12 hours apart.Im eligible for a pump and am wearing one on a trial basis,with saline instead of insulin,to see if i can stand to have it attached to me 24 hours a day.so far im not loving it :(

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
I asked about it at consult but she did not even acknowledge the question :roll:

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The SMC has pontificated and decided that Degludec holds no significant advantage over other long-acting insulin analogues. It is therefore not being recommended for use in Scotland.

Eponym

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 diabetic living in Cardiff in South Wales and was originally on Lantus and NovoRapid and used to suffer from scary night time hypos all too often. About a month ago I replced the Lantus with Tresiba (Degludec) and I think it's great. It's very stable and my waking blood glucose results are always within 1 unit of my bedtime blood glucose results.

My last night time hypo (2 weeks before being prescribed Tresiba) involved an ambulance and two paramedics parked up at my house for 90 minutes whilst they brought me round and stabilized me. I think that the SMC are being very short sighted, the advantages of this new insulin are many and span economic and life quality matters.

The stability of this insulin has meant that I've not suffered one night time hypo since transferring to it indicating that I'm less likely to result in costly emergency calls. I feel less scared going to bed, which results in a tighter blood glucose management. This, I hope, will allow me to lead a healthier life with fewer costly diabetic related complications.

Of course, Tresiba won't be right for everyone but for many of us it's the answer. How unfair of the SMC to play God.