DAFNE Carbohydrate System

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, i'm on day 2 of a DAFNE type course (a 3 day course but specific to my area)
So far i have found it excellent, thankfully i've learnt so much on this forum, and on the internet in general, so most of the information about diabetes wasn't new to me, so i found it easy to sink in etc, but i have never carb counted before, (haven't been told to, was always told to take 4units with each meal!) and whilst it does take abit of effort to begin with, i can see how more accurate my readings have been since counting carbs. There is alot of info to take in on the course, so it can be mind boggling if you are starting from scratch information wise, but its been great, looking forward to tomorrow!

Andrew40

I have been on the DAFNE course and did learn a bit from it. I think DAFNE is a good idea but as for taking more injections and eating foods that were always a treat for me I find it difficult to cope with. I have always taken the odd injection when the blood sugars needed correcting but under the DAFNE idea they expect you to take more injections just to eat normally thus causing more side effects from the injections ie: lumps on the injection sites. So far all the DAFNE course has done for me is to take my food away.

trevorfather

I too have just heard about DAFNE. I must say that I was furious to find out that my daughter had been attending clinics/gps regularly for nearly 20 years and NOBODY had ever even mentioned this to her before.
It seems a bit of a lottery as to which health areas are interested (or can afford to provide?) DAFNE courses.
My daughter feels hurt and cheated she has wasted so many years using a regime that was (to say the least) old fashioned and ineffective.
We recently got an appointment at a London Hospital (as nobody here [in Berkshire or Oxford area] could help my daughters problems) and here they were astonished that she had not been offered a course or even been told about this method.