Pretty medi alert bracelets. .do emergency service staff not

violet6763

Hello. Newly diagnosed type one since December. I am doing well but I do have a few sudden hypos. I had a pretty bracelet with 'DIABETIC' beaded onto it. I've lost it already so I need to get a replacement. I was wondering if emergency service staff actually notice these ones? I don't really like the proper alert ones.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

misslotty1

Re: Pretty medi alert bracelets. .do emergency service staff

Hi x I too would love a pretty medic alert bracelet. I really dont think the current and fashionable ones are very clear :( im going to keep looking. I have seen some alert tattoos and they seem to becoming more common. Im still not sure if the delicate ones I like are going to be recognised very easily.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hello Violet6763 .

Here is a link to browse through , medics do actually prefer a diabetic to wear an
medic alert bracelet as it 'can' save them precious time on correctly diagnosing and
treating an 'unconcious' patient more quickly and efficiently.
It can save them precious time , without the need to do "numerous" tests to work out a diagnosis
on an unconcious with no injuries [possibly] patient arriving at the A&E dept .

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=33393&hilit=medi+alert
Hope this can help you.

Anna.

violet6763

Thanks Anna. I had a read. Just remembered that one ofy husbands friends is a paramedic. I will ask him if he notices the pretty ones or just the obviously medi alert ones. Oh and I'll ask about a wrist tattoo too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I don't think they look for alert bracelets. They certainly don't search wallets for cards. Some years ago t1 husband had a hypo fit in the street, when out with our 4 year-old. She was able to tell a local shop manager that Daddy needed sugar. They gave her sweeties instead and called the ambulance. She also gave our phone number and I spoke to the shop, which sent the ambulance down past our house and picked me up too. I took sugar cubes and gave them to T1, who was recovering rapidly. At the hospital, they kept him in, because he had had a seizure and his bg was not hypo, so it was a mystery to them. His alert necklace was on the bedside table beside him andthe ambulance folks hadn't told them about the sugar. No-one had added up the evidence. Not ambulance, nor shop manager[a qualiied first-Aider] not hospital A&E personnel! Still despite them he got better. Daughter is now just coming up to 34 and I bet they are no more on the ball nowadays.
Hana

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My GP often comment on my alert necklaces, got a few different ones, I get mind from ice gems online, they do different from typical med alert items

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Emergency responders are taught to look for medic-alert bracelets as part of their basic training. However, I have seen occasions where they get missed. Generally because they are focusing elsewhere or just simple mistake. This is not common though. The majority would certainly look, especially for unexplained medical responses. To summarise, occasionally they may get missed but I would still advise any diabetes sufferer to wear some form of alert, bracelet probably more so than necklace.

Lyndesay

Have gone through numerous bracelets/necklaces over the years! I now wear 2 rubber bracelets, 1 that says Type 1 Diabetic and the other says Insulin Pump user, both have been recognised by ambulance crew and alot cheaper than other accessories

violet6763

I was considering just getting those, but the sparkles got to me. I like the metal engraved tags with a pretty beaded bracelet but for what they are they cost a lot. I have ordered lots of bits to make myself. I think I can make ten different ones for the price of one online one. Quite excited to get my parcels now :)

violet6763

I've made my own bracelets. I made twenty and took them to my dafne course and sold them all. The diabetic nurses have said they will put up posters and cards for me. Anyone interested can pm. The tags are £4 and then the interchangeable bracelets are £3 each.

Attachments

• 1375789025597.jpg
    1375789025597.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 683
  • 1375789063003.jpg
    1375789063003.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 675

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

They're really nice! What metal is it made from? I have allergies and after 2 months of my bracelet I became allergic to it too :(

chrisbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I am t2 on insulin, I wear a medical bracelet with a brief outline engraved on it, I also have a medi card which I carry at all time in my wallet, it gives my gps name and phone number, next of kin number, all medication details, and all things I am allergic to, worth every penny of £19.99.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea

I got my new one from laurenshope.com its an american site but they are more sturdy than icegems as mine broke within a few months i got a stainless steel one with a pink logo

Attachments

• 1376176123996.jpg
    1376176123996.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 489

Netty70

Cupcaake32 said:
I got my new one from laurenshope.com its an american site but they are more sturdy than icegems as mine broke within a few months i got a stainless steel one with a pink logo

Ooooo very nice and modern
Nice that you can get a more trendy one especially when your young