Confused

mickthered

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Measured my BG before dinner 4.6 had a lancashire hotpot for dinner and measured a couple of hours later came in at 4.4 shouldnt it be higher after eating

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I would have thought so, but did you carb count?? And if type 1 under estimate how many carbs you had (we have all done it), but I thought it should have been higher.

mickthered

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
type 2 but as newly diagnosed not sure or really got a clue about this carb counting

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Right I'm type 1 and don't want to confuse you, so I'll bump, in the fact to keep you at the top, in the hope a type 2 will see and help.

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mickthered,
I'm type 2 but BGs a lot higher than yours. I haven't heard of a newly diagnosed type 2 with such low BGs before.
Sorry but can't help. I would have thought your BG levels are normal, not diabetic.
Anyway, bumps you up again. Hopefully, someone with a bit more experience than me can answer you.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mickthered, as a type 1 with problems keeping bs in the normal range, I would kill for your readings :wink:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mickthered said:
Measured my BG before dinner 4.6 had a lancashire hotpot for dinner and measured a couple of hours later came in at 4.4 shouldnt it be higher after eating

That's happened to me before when I have had lamb and barley stew or a beef stew with only a very small amount of potatoes. They can be low carb and what you take in is easily dealt with by even a poor insulin response. It will have risen after about 30 mins but the rise was easily dealt with. If you have been exercising in the last 24 hours, you usually have a number of different enzymes and hormones in your blood which also help your insulin sensitivity. Eating carbs generally triggers off insulin production it's just that with type 2s, it doesn't work too well. But, if what you eat isn't much carbwise and, depending on what other things you eat, it can be enough. Sadly, vinegar on chips doesn't bring my BG down but a teaspoon of cider vinegar will counter other things that would normally raise my BG 2 points. Combinations are difficult to work out, it's all trial and error. But, stews can be very good for keeping BG down.

mickthered

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Julie1471 said:
Mickthered, as a type 1 with problems keeping bs in the normal range, I would kill for your readings :wink:

may be I should bring out a Mick's don't really have a clue what I'm doing diet but it seems to be working

H ave so far worked out that this low carb diet seems to be something like the Atkins diet you can eat so many carbs I think but it should be limited to I think so many grams a day but how many I don't know

So far my diet has changed by just cutting out stuff like fizzy drinks white bread sweets chocolate chips and any fried foods (deep fat friar has gone in the bin)pies and cakes

and not forgetting the beer and cigs

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Hi Mickthered, I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago. Type 2. I started low carb diet and many of my readings have been in the 5's. I have to say I totally cut out potato's, pasta and rice after the first week as my readings were higher. I have found that time of day also can have an effect on your readings. an example of this being just last night. If I have a small bowl of cereal in the morning with some fruit, my readings are around 5.6 -6.3. last night around 9pm having had no dinner I decided it was to late to start cooking, so I had a bowl of cereal. reading 2 hours later 9.4. needless to say I will not be doing that again.

There is a lot to take in with diabetes, I have read so much on this site that has been very helpful. but I think to start with we (newly diagnosed) need to take in as much as we can but also need to know when to take a day or two to let it all sink in.

You seem to be doing the right thing, cutting out all the things that will put your bg up. you are also right in low carbbing is like Atkins although not as drastic. having done Atkins a few years ago my partner is quite happy that low carbbing doesn't give me dog breath :lol: Trial and error is what seems to work best.

I'm sure you'll get to a point where you will know what will put your bg up and what won't. keep asking questions though.
good luck
vonbon :thumbup:

Finzi

mickthered said:

Blimey mick, some people have all the luck! ;)

4.4 post prandial and you're WORRIED?! I'd kill for that even fasting :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you think of your blood sugar as being recorded on a graph then after eating the level will rise and after a time will fall down again. How high it rises and how long it takes to fall back down will, in part, be due to the glycaemic index of the food you eat as well as how many carbs there are in the meal.

If you had plotted your graph every 15 minutes (for example) you may have found that the curve of the graph was a spike of short duration. Also you could have just had a dodgy reading. It happens to us all at one time or another.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
mickthered
I haven't read the whole thread carefully, but did you take some medication to match your meal?
The difference in those 2 readings is too small to matter within the accuracy of a BG meter. So you seem to have had the RIGHT amount of carb for your response. There's no requirrement for your BG to go up after meals. There's just an amount by which it shouldn't go up too much. For myself I'd be happy with those readings. Since I have to fund my own test strips, I rarely test before and after a meal. A non-diabetic normal blood glucose is about 4.7, so You're right on the button.
Hana