Advice. Run out of insulin.SORTED now thanks.

chocoholic

Hi all, forgive me for popping in, when I rarely do to chat these days. Have just had so many family members with poor health that finding time to do anything other than help out family is difficult these days.
Anyway, to cut to the chase I have been in bed with flu for the past week or so and totally forgot that I have a prescription to pick up for myself.It's only tonight, as I realised I will need a new Novorapid pen and headed for the fridge, that I remembered I didn't pick up that prescription and the chemist where it is waiting for me will be closed until Monday.
I know I'm a stupid,stupid woman but what should I do? Normally, I always make sure I have one spare insulin pen when I re-order the next batch but because I've been flying around from hospital to hospital for one family member or another, it just got overlooked.
If I try and have a carb-free day, do you think I could manage until Monday without the Novorapid altogether? I can do bacon and egg for brekkie, have roast beef and just veg for dinner and maybe more eggs and smoked salmon or something for tea.Thing is I am still feeling a bit weak after the flu,so did up my carbs. a bit this past few days whilst trying to get my strength back.
Any thoughts on this one folks....other than to send me a virtual slapped wrist?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Advice. Run out of insulin.

You should really go to A&E and get some NovoRapid. As a Type 1, very sure you can't low-carb out of this one ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Your gp may be like mine where they have an out of hours gp who can do a script after talking to you. Mine did and sent script straight to tesco, where hubby collected it.. It wasnt for insulin though, but another medicine that if I didnt have I would have ended up in A&E...

chocoholic

My nearest A & E is a nearly a 30 mile round trip, Robert, so are you sure they'd let me have one. Don't want that drive if they turn me down.
I wondered about exercising after each meal.I am a walker, so could try a short walk or I have a cross trainer in the garage. I don't think I'm up to exercising much at the moment but I'm just trying to be practical about dealing with things and thinking of alternatives for one day's coping without it.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Once I forgot to take the pen with me when went to visit my friend for the whole day. It was a bit far away so I decided to try a day without insulin. I ate cauliflower only for the whole day :) and did a bit of walking. my levels were ok. As long as you have basal should be ok but avoid fatty food and protein. Its a day of real diet.
I dont recommend that to anyone. Who knows how you will react but thats from my experience

chocoholic

Oh, I could try the out-of-hours doc. donnellysdogs. Thank you to you and Robert for your suggestions.
My hubby has suggested I got to Boots in town to ask if they can help, as it's a smaller Boots in my village where the insulin is sat and he wonders if they might help out, as their system probably shows I need insulin. :thumbup:

chocoholic

Thanks for your reply ewelina. When you say avoid fatty food and protein, why do you suggest that particularly? I thought they would be the very things that would be okay, along with lower carb veg. I'm really grateful for any advice here, so thank you to those kind enough this time of night to give me your tips. Thank you.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Fat and protein can be converted into glucose. Ive discovered that quite recently and that explained why some low carb meals require more insulin than i thought. for example with my typical breakfast of big slice of bread with 2 eggs (20g of carbs) I take 3 units (with ratio 1:10g). I guess i need that extra unit for protein.
Have a look at this article. Very useful
http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspe ... /pg132.htm

sassywriter43

I'm glad someone managed to give you some advice. Can you also phone NHS out of hours advice Chocoholic and explain your a type 1 who has been ill with flu and did not realize had forgot to pick up your prescription last Monday? I am sure they can advise and send you to a chemist this once.

Sassy.

iHs

I am hoping that a pharmacy that is open on Sunday should be able to dispense an emergency cartridge of insulin as long as a copy of the repeat prescription is taken to prove that you are an insulin dependant diabetic.

A good tip from me..... keep some of your used cartridges in the fridge instead of throwing them away.. They contain about 10u of insulin and can be withdrawn using a syringe to use in the emergency times. Insulin may be a bit weaker in strength but weak insulin is better than struggling with no insulin :thumbup:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Are you near worcs ? If so I have a spare and can drive over with one ?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

Same here. If you were anywhere in Mid Wales I could drive it to you. Hope you get ok today. As others have said maybe out of hours NHS will be able to get something organised.

iHs

Searching on the forum for Tendring brings up another person who might be able to help.
Maybe a moderator can contact the person by email with any luck......

chocoholic

What lovely people you are. I am so touched by your kindness. I am on the Essex coast but really appreciate the offer of help from those further afield.
What I intend to do is go to the large Boots in town when it opens at 10.00, to see if they might help. Hubby is pretty convinced they will, so I will give that a go first and see how I get on.
Hubby also wondered if upping my background insulin a little would help but I am not keen on trying that because obviously the two insulins work in totally different ways and I think I'd rather run a little high for a day than risk messing up big time by tampering with my Lantus.

iHs

Hi G

I would think that Boots in ConS should be able to dispense as they will have your details come up on the database.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

No worries - its would help to know how you get on in case this happens to anyone else, good luck ;)

TonyTruthful

Done this a few times, If you go to your usual chemist they will give you one viral because you will either have/or be ordering a repeat which they will dispense less one viral.

If you go to an emergency chemist they will charge you for your insulin (£30 for 5 vials) and when you get your repeat script take it back to the chemist and they will give you a refund. :crazy:

iHs - wicked idea never thought about that. Emergency 10u there, if you have get a syringe. :thumbup:

chocoholic

Phew. All sorted. The pharmacist at the larger Boots in town was so very helpful and gave me a full box of Novorapid and is messaging the smaller branch that is sitting on my prescription and closed, so that they won't need to supply me with a box now.
He really was such an obliging man and I am so grateful to him.
I am so grateful to members of this forum too. In situations like this, it's always reassuring to seek advice from my fellow diabetics and I do so appreciate your kindness with all your replies. THANK YOU. :thumbup:

AMBrennan

As a Type 1, very sure you can't low-carb out of this one
That's not correct as OP is out of QA/bolus insulin; if nothing else you could keep taking your basal insulin and fast over the weekend.
My nearest A & E is a nearly a 30 mile round trip, Robert, so are you sure they'd let me have one.
Yes. A&E will not send a diabetic home without insulin (imagine the headlines if they did)
I wondered about exercising after each meal
Exercising increases the effectiveness of insulin your bloodstream (in this case your basal insulin), so that would work too. This is the reason you need to eat extra carbs or reduce your insulin dose for exercise.