Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Re: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pum

Oh pump by far. Having been on injections for 49 years, pump gives me more control and freedom

morrismen

I've had diabetes since 1977. I asked for an insulin pump. The community nurse told me I could not get one as they were too costly. :cry: Shocking.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes

morrismen said:
I've had diabetes since 1977. I asked for an insulin pump. The community nurse told me I could not get one as they were too costly. :cry: Shocking.

Hi Morrismen, you cannot be refused a pump because of costs. The Input website will be able to provide advise on that: http://www.input.me.uk/

If your Doctor or Nurse agree it would be beneficial for you, then it cannot be refused due to costs.

Rachel91

I am currently having to fight for a pump from my hospital my last hba1c was 10.5 and the lowest its ever been is 8.6 i need to lose weight also. I have actually changed hospitals to be able to ask for a pump it has took me a while but there starting to listen to me, currently i am on 185 units of insulin a day and i am still all over the place, i cant take.metformin as its makes me sick and gives me headaches, i have tried everything i have been asked to do. I have swaped and changed insulins i have done sugars all through day and night i have done the carb counting course and nothing seems to help my own gp and SN Thinks i need a pump but trying to convince a consultant is difficult its almost like because the pump costs so much money they wont give them out but i honestly feel this would help me dramatically and it shouldnt be about money it should be about peoples lives! I knew a lady in a similar boat to me that passed away at 44 due to " diabetic complications " so yes i think for certain people the pump is a fantastic idea and i realy hope if i carry on fighting i shall get mine! :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes

Hi Rachel91

Money can't be an issue for PCTs when it comes to pumps, they need to have a very good reason why you can't have one, but, if you fall within the NICE criteria and your consultant agrees it would beneficial, they cannot refuse on grounds of cost as there is no set budget on pumps and the PCT are required to fund as necessary.

Good luck!

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Hanmar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic!

It's a personal thing - I guess until you try it you don't know... Unusually I went on a pump when I was pregnant as I was sure it would help my blood sugar control. As with all methods, the machine is only as accurate as the information you give it, so if you carb count accurately and have a 0.5 unit insulin pen my personal preference is definitely injections. The pump is pretty complex to learn to use, but the main thing that put me off was the size and weight of the thing - it's like having a mobile phone strapped to you all the time.. It is NOT discrete - everybody asked me what was that thing I was trying to hide down my top and I've read many comments saying it doesn't get in the way in bed, but I have to say I hated it! Needless to say I'm back on needles and multiple injections, and happy about that!

Wocko

I have found this very useful for my current situation.

I' have been told that I can go on a pump in 5 weeks time. I currently have no worries about this whatsoever as I am on 12 injections a day which over 22 years have scarred my legs and stomach, testing 8 times a day in already bruised fingers plus following a strict diet and exercise plan to keep everything as controlled as possible but my body just seems to be backwards despite all the efforts I make every day.

I have spent the last 10 years with difficulties whereas before I had no issues at all. I have had 3000 retinopathy burns on my eyes now as a consequence of my levels and have no peripheral or night time vision at all. I have been told my sight will begin to deteriorate completely unless it sorts itself out. I lost the ability to walk for 6 months after neuropathy set in which I now take tablets to minimise the pain. I don't want anyone to think I eat loads of sugary things and sit on my bum all day etc or that I am really lazy with my monitoring. Believe me I am very meticulous in every move I make and it's possible impact on sugar levels but I am stuck until this one last bit of hope appears in the form of a pump. The pump is my last option and I can't wait!!

Is there something about the pump that I should take into consideration as at the moment I can't wait. Especially seen's funding is scarce where I live and we only have 5 available a year.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I just dont know how some hospitals limit tbemselves to 5 patients a year, when I know when I was given mine 3 years ago my particular hospital had bought a bulk stash of them in advance..which was very forward thinking of them.. I was pump patient 14 I think and they were only halfway issuing their pumps.

How can a hospital say that that patient number 6 cant have one for another year when they may be in far more need than patient number 1... But may not have been seen by a consultant for 6 months

To me all this postcode lottery for pumps is horrendous for patients, costs to nhs and families.

I like my pump and would hate to ever go back to injections...

EpsomNicole

Hi. Well at the outset i would say that over the past 5 years the majority of people in my support group are on a pump and those who are rate it very highly because although it doesn't give them perfect control, it does make them feel more 'normal'.
I have been on injections for 32 years and although I have seen lots of improvements in the way I can measure my blood sugars (from urine tests only though to my current meter which advises me on dosage based on CHO intake and other factors), I have really only ever had crude tools when it comes to insulin and its delivery i.e. a long acting (only variable once or twice a day) plus top ups with short acting insulin. The latter regime doesn't help me cope with exercise (balancing the risk of going hypo against running sugars high because of my body''s response to exercise). I also have had some lumps in my legs due to injections.
So I was really pleased to be offered a pump on my last check up! Apparently NICE guidance on who qualifies for one has changed somewhat such that I qualify just because I have had a few hypos even though I do get good warnings of these and my control is not brillant but not abysmal either (7.4-8.1 hba1c). Conversely I am told that if I don't use the pump wisely and see an improvement in my results, it will be taken away. Fair enough. In addition to getting the pump this March (a great birthday present from the NHS!) I will be running a marathon in early April so I am hoping I can rise to both challenges. Have done a carb counting course and use a bolus advice meter already so am slightly more hopeful of sucessfully transferring to this treatment than I am of running 26.2 miles with a dodgy heel injury!

Having done Dafne week long course I've been frustrated with the maths often not working (with pens). Had a 2 week trial with the omnipod last month and it all made so much more sense. My results were 80% in target rather than 20% in target and my insulin requirements were 30% less. The ability to do things like deliver a bolus over an hour rather than 2 seconds or reduce a basal by 20% for 2 hours of activity make the pumps a lot more like the pancreas and a lot more effective. With the pod I could leave it on during showers and hydrotherapy which is part of my job. Hoping I can now get funding and get off the pens for good.

kayla1

How does the insulin pump work? I have trouble controlling my sugars as i am a mum and student, i also work from time to time. how does thr pump control your sugars any better than the pens? sorry to ask such basic questions..

I despertely want to get better control of my diabetes :thumbdown:

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1

THE PUMP. I got it last year. So much better :D

cranium

Not sure, not fully explored the pump as yet, would like not to have to inject my Insulin, even though the needles are very tiny

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

leahkian

The best thing I did was to go on the pump. Mind it does take a whole for you to get the correct amount of insulin. So if you are just starting out on a pump give it time[took me about 4 months]. Like having injections you can have problems with the pump and you must change the site at least once every three days. It is also strange when you first have it on when you go to bed but in time it gets easier. I would now be lost with out it and the support I get off Prof Shaw and the rest of the staff at Newcastle diabetes centre :D

nessals

im wearing a pump on a weeks trial,with saline,to see if i can cope with having it 24 hours a day.Having read other peoples desire to go onto a pump i feel i should go for it,but i hate having this thing attached to me.Ive been diabetic for almost 37 years,diagnosed at 6 years old,and am currently on 5 injections a day.I really dont mind injections but the huge swings of high and low blood sugars are something id like to get to grips with.Where do you keep the pump when its on you? The one id be getting is a minimed paradigm veo from Medtronic.I dont want to regret turning it down because it seems so many people have to fight for them in the first place.

AndyVoakes

Hi I'm going to look into getting a pump and would like to know more about using a pump. So be cool if anyone can let me know more. Many thx Andy x

cezzle

Romany age 7 wants a pump. She's on 5 injections minimum a day, usually more with corrections. Even with rotating the sites she's starting to get sore :( She was told by the Consultant last time she went in November that she would be put on the waiting list for one and that the DSNs would give her an old, non connected one to wear for a week to see how she got on - never materialized surprise surprise. If we get fobbed off at her next appointment at the end of the month again we will be moving hospitals. My daughter's long term health is the most important thing to me and I think a pump is integral to managing this condition.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DarkForcesRebel

I prefer my Injections to be honest, I dont really want a pump, as At my School there is alot of shoving around in the corridors, im scared it will mess something up

TonyTruthful

jopar said:
Injections can't deliver insulin in a way to match my needs, pre-pump I was injecting over 2200 times a year, with a unreasonable high end input on management and couldn't go to bed before 11pm, and had to be up for my morning timed injection..

Hi Jo, how come you couldn't go to be bed before 11pm?

Is it becuase you have to wait for the fast acting to run it's course?

It's one of the things that really gets me about this condition!

TT