Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hilary52 said:
Hello

I am a type 1 and getting a tattoo should I watch for any drops in blood sugars as it is being done? Anyone had one ?

Cheers

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hi Hilary.

Are you getting a medical alert tattoo done?
Or just an artwork piece done?

If its a large-ish size tattoo being done, yep best go prepared for a possible drop in
your blood sugar levels.
Take your usual 'treat a hypo' gear along with you...
Best to play safe than sorry :thumbup:

Discuss all of the diabetes and hypo risks with your tattooist prior to your tattoo
being done.
I 'did' this with ryan my great tattooist - a good one will be happy to get all
issues/risks discussed with your concerns .
Not even thinking you are being odd or difficult to please .

If you are thinking of getting a medical alert tattoo done, we have had some good thread
discussions on this .
Worth taking a peek at as well as the link nigel has posted.

Hope this helps .

Anna.

jimidewhurst

Dislikes
people saying i CANT do something cause of my condition
hey just reading ur posts ive had 11 tattoos and ive just booked another one now ive tried differnt things when having tattoos ive had extra food and less insulin but it didnt wrk for me i found that after a 4 hour sitting i had a bite to eat after doind a blood test and that seemed to work better for me but it also depends on what time the appointment was good lick with the new tattoo

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly off topic but if anyone knows where i can get one of those tattoos i heard of being trialled that change colour to reflect your blood sugar?

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

volvicwater22

Keep it clean and you will be fine :) and during the tattoo just adjust, eat a mars bar before it, get your sugar to like 12-15 and if it lasts about an hour you will be fine. They can stop during though if you want to drink lucozade or something

AMBrennan

Seriously? You are expecting a BG drop by 10 mmol/l? I went to have mine (30min) with 5ish mmol/l and did not notice a drop. Just know your hypo symptoms and have something to treat nearby.

LauraJayType1

My bloods have always stayed stable during my tattoo's, although they have usually only lasted 30-45 mins. Just take extra care of your new tattoo as i've had two infected tattoo's, good luck! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 infected tatts?
I'd change my artist:cry:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

highdown

Prior to getting my tatt, I went and bought a couple of full sugar colas and a snickers bar, plenty of non sticking dressings and microphone tape. The tattooist at the end usually just covers the tatt with kitchen roll attached with sellotape. In order to keep the tatt moisturised I had aloe Vera applied to it. My first tatt which was on my back, was kept an eye on and dressed by a friend as I couldn't see it. The healing was quick, however my second, a daisy and forge-me-not chain around my ankle wasn't quick to heal As the skin there is very thin over the bone. It took over three weeks to heal, but there was no infection. So my recommendation is to buy full sugar drinks and snacks, sip and snack on them if needed, and buy aloe Vera cream from Holland and Barrett. And good luck.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
I was advised to use Bepathanthen nappy ointment on my tattoo.
Bepathanthen keeps the tattoo area well lubricated and moist also acts as a barrier too .
Was instructed to bathe area 4 times daily and reapply the bepathanthen .
Ryan used clingfilm with micropore tape to cover my new tattoo.

My tattooist ryan took his time when did mine and allowed a break for me to check
and test my blood sugars before carrying on ... [I was fine :) ]
He offered a free no cost , check 5 days later to examine my new tattoo and see if the
healing process was going well .

It really DOES help to find and get a GOOD tattooist who knows what the 'risks can be' :thumbup:

Anna.

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)
I have had a cover up 2 weeks ago and like the first everything was fine. I am going back in a week and a half for another 3 hours work. I would suggest just going about your everyday routine. I had a bottle of lucozade whilst having it done and when i got home my blood was 18, so i think i was being over cautious...my average blood from doctors is 6.7.
Next time im going to have a little more cereal before i go and thats it...although im going to take some lucozade..I dont want to start shaking on the vital lines of the tattoo lol

Diagnosed 21 years in 9 days time :-(

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)
I dont think i was cautious first time...My bloods today during 3 hours of tattooing came down extremely slowly...I think its the pain/trauma that keeps your blood high lol ...God i was hungry at tea time...That lamb never stood a chance!!