RAF

Newts722

Hi all
I am a type 1 diabetic have been for about 2 years now, I have been in the RAF Regiment for 5 years, I am going to medical boards in April, and have already been told by doctors at own unit that I will be medically dishcharged!
The question I want to ask is what I will receive if anything after being dishcharged I.e payout/pension?
It's a daunting prospect especially with a family to provide for!
Thanks in advance

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newts I am sure its all changed since my ex left the RAF (it was 16 years ago) but he got a relocation allowance and re-training. Make an appointment to see the families officer (or whatever the title is these days) and find out if your are entitled to anything.

Best of luck and hope everything works out ok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Newts722 said:
Hi all
I am a type 1 diabetic have been for about 2 years now, I have been in the RAF Regiment for 5 years, I am going to medical boards in April, and have already been told by doctors at own unit that I will be medically dishcharged!
The question I want to ask is what I will receive if anything after being dishcharged I.e payout/pension?
It's a daunting prospect especially with a family to provide for!
Thanks in advance

Hello Newts722 :thumbup:

I can't understand why you would be medically discharged from the Armed forces?????? I asuming yoiu have vision and hearing,all 4 limbs in good working order? It sounds like discrimanation to me( but saying that, I do not know the rules and regulations of the RAF, my DD's grandad was in the RAF and my dad was a Paratrooper in WW11)

Surely you could still work for the RAF, maybe in another capacity. I would fight tooth and nail and explore every avenue,if you stil lwant to stay in the Armed forces. I think its shocking that they can dismiss you like that, when a diabetic can do so many jobs, extremly well. Diabetes is a chronic medical conditon, but that doesn't mean you'er inadaquet in any way at all :shock:

Good luck with best wishes RRB

AMBrennan

Diabetes UK says:
Myth: Having diabetes means you can't do certain jobs
Having diabetes should not stop you from getting and keeping a job. However, despite the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA), people with diabetes still face blanket bans in some areas of employment, including the armed forces. Diabetes UK campaigns to lift discriminatory blanket bans.
The RAF explicitly lists diabetes as precluding entry.

I can't understand why you would be medically discharged from the Armed forces?????? I asuming yoiu have vision and hearing,all 4 limbs in good working order? It sounds like discrimination to me
Edited: Depending on details we do not know, it is not *necessarily* discrimination (that what I meant by "generalisation"). I apologize if that came across as harsh.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
AMBrennan said:
Diabetes UK says:
Myth: Having diabetes means you can't do certain jobs
Having diabetes should not stop you from getting and keeping a job. However, despite the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA), people with diabetes still face blanket bans in some areas of employment, including the armed forces. Diabetes UK campaigns to lift discriminatory blanket bans.
The RAF explicitly lists diabetes as precluding entry.

I can't understand why you would be medically discharged from the Armed forces?????? I asuming yoiu have vision and hearing,all 4 limbs in good working order? It sounds like discrimination to me
To be frank I disagree with that sweeping generalisation. I don't know your job, but there are roles in the armed forces where diabetes is a clear liability (e.g. being prone to disabling hypos from exertion puts them and others at risk - the problem with unplanned exercise taken to it's absolute extreme).

I'm sorry you find the statement 'sweeping', but thats how I feel and I don't regard it as 'sweeping' sorry if its upset you in any way.

If it was me, as I said,I would fight tooth and nail, to find out if I could be relocated or put into another area where diabetes would not be considered 'high risk' to anyone's health or safety :!:

A vast majority of people take the view that even with diabetes we can do so many jobs and it shouldn't be discrimanated upon.

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Things that make me unhappy
Hello RAF,

I had the same happen to me in 1982, I was told that I could not carry on with my job as an Engineer on the Railway as it was to dangerous to be near live electrical equipment. They tried to palm me off at first but I dug my heels in and refused to be shoved to one side, especially after 4 years of training. I'm still working as a Railway Engineer with restrictions on what I can and cant do (office based most of the time, but still get out on site), so dont give up on your career (unless you want to get out?).

Good luck.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Newts
contact the diabetes Uk Advocacy Service. They know the law and should be able to help you get all your rights. Your pension entitlement should be safe if your discharge is "honourable". However there may be some roles that you can fill that don't require discharge. Obviously therre are some you may be excluded from.
Hana

fractureman

It's the law you can't be a member of the armed forces if diabetic. I would seek help from the liason officer with regards to any re training or pay off you will recieve. In the old days diabetic couldn't be fireman, police etc but that has now changed. Still have to pass more stringent medical for class 1 hgv or pcv. I did my medical to get my 7.5t back on my license & isn't too bad just have to pay that's all

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lynde89

Hey Newts!

My younger brother is going through something very very similar ;).

I still think that they could transfer you, to being a mechanic or something? Whatever else you enjoy that is less 'frontline'. Definitely get in touch with people as recommended, you enjoy you're job, you're good at it & the people you work with know it.

I hope you get more suggestions! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I asked OH(retired Eng Off RAF) to comment; his response is ' go see OC PSF.'
He/she will know what your entitlements are.
As a wife (so seen things from the other side where perhaps worries get discussed more), I would say that it would be a very good idea to contact SSAFA. They can give advice on entitlement and most importantly can give on going advice with resettlement.
http://www.ssafa.org.uk/how-we-help/

and sorry folks, I've thought very hard about this one. As regulars will know, I'm all into doing as much as you can with T1 but have to agree with the conventional armed services view on this one. I know I'm fit and do stupid things like running 26 miles but I also know that there are times that I could be a liability to others. if we lowered the percentage of the armed forces that were fit for operational duties (and there will always be some who are temporally unfit ) then the rest would have to perform more operational duties because they couldn't be replaced. Where do you draw the line? There are jobs that can be done by someone who is a civilian...so don't use the armed forces for those jobs

Edit: We were discussing this and just a possibility (and would need careful checking) Since you haven't actually gone to the board. Can you volunteer for redundancy, since this usually has a good package?

mickthered

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
left the RAF IN 2004 had suffered with a bad back since 99 was told that I would be allowed to stay in until my time was up had signed on for 15 I would not be medically discharged but also wouldn't be up for promotion or be signed on it was a case of just seeing my time out

Unless the rules have changed it was a case of applying for a war pension when I got out applying for it was quite straightforward phoned up answered a few questions a doc was sent out to examine me at home more a case of answer a few questions couple of weeks later received a letter saying I would receive a pension and how much it would be

You can claim a War Disablement Pension if you are no longer Serving in HM Armed Forces and you have a disablement (i.e. an injury, illness or disease) that you consider was caused or made worse by service before 6 April 2005. If you think your disablement was caused by service on or after 6 April 2005, you should claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme . Claims can be made for both physical or mental conditions.

There are no time limits for claiming under the War Pension Scheme but claims can only be considered once your service has ended and payment will usually be made from the date of claim

you can find out more info on here

http://www.veterans-uk.info/pensions/wdp_new_index.html

Newts722

That you all very much for your comments!
They have been a great help! I will start ringing
Every one tomorrow!
Thanks again :)