Blood squirted out from pricking finger.

Ryan1982

I just pricked my finger to test before bed and blood squirted out like a fountain for a few seconds and nearly hit me in the face! :lol:

I'm not really phazed by blood but this kind of shocked me as it's never happened to me before. Has this ever happened to any of you? And Do I have cause for concern?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I've found that when my blood spurts like that it means my levels are nice and low. I do take an anti-clotting drug which means my blood does have a tendency to flow a lot when I prick my fingers.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would be quite alarmed if blood squirted out of my finger after a finger prick test, I would guess that you have your pricker set way too deep but even then blood should not squirt out, do you have particularly high blood pressure?

shop

Mine normaly does it when Ive been busy running around, guess the blood is pumping quicker round the body. ( It is whe I squeeze to get blood on strip, not straight after pricking! )

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not happened to me but when I got a new testing kit my friend tried it out and that happened to her think if it happened to me I would faint!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Only ever happened to me the once!
Was messy as splattered all down a great book I was reading at the time...
This annoyed me quite a bit , it squirted when I squeezed my little finger [even remember which
finger it was too!]
I was very low BG level at this time and it made me jump up and get it sorted.
As had been sat in a clinic on a sweltering hot day , starting feeling woozy lightheaded etc...
Never happened since thankfully.
Anna.

Reactions: 2 people

evilhamster

only happened to me once but it did hit me in the face
was in the staff canteen at the time so put a few people of there lunch :twisted:

Linzjk

Hi
This has happened to me twice recently. Both times my bs was low and it was a hot day. The last time it went everywhere! Quite a shock. :lol:

ChloeType2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This just happened to me and spurted all over my face it was like a hose pipe freaked me out as this has never happened before!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes .. Me to ... All over my face ... It was also my little finger ... And like others my sugars were nice and low .. The wife says my blood was so happy to be low it shot out to give me a kiss ...
She is an artist ! With a wicked and sharp sence of humour :nurse::doctor::arghh:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
omg i'd pass out, I hate the sight of blood! But at least if it does even happen to me I know now not to worry! ;)
I have the opposite problem, have to squeeze and cajole even the tiniest amount out, even after adjusting the needle depth several times!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
omg i'd pass out, I hate the sight of blood! But at least if it does even happen to me I know now not to worry! ;)
I have the opposite problem, have to squeeze and cajole even the tiniest amount out, even after adjusting the needle depth several times!
Try marching on the spot for a few moments and warm up your hands before stabbing .. Then I find if you squeeze open the stabbed area .. Rather than pinching closed .. It can help ... Also ...... RELAX ... The wife says if you are tence the blood flow to fingers and toes slows down .. And it is directed to your internal organs ready for you to run away .... (Don't know if she is right about this .. But it seems to be working for me ! I am so layed back now ... Its unreal )

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have problems getting enough blood as well - sometimes I have to use 3 fingers before I get enough I have even been known to give up trying and leave it!!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I find my little fingers the most generous with blood and usually when my reading is low, It pumps out but never had it catch me in the face. Some fingers are difficult to bleed but I find gentle massage towards the pinprick site helps

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to war my hands forst becasue they're always so cold! But I do pinch the skin so will try stretching it out, seems it will hurt more that way though - I know I'm a wimp! I get psoriasis on my fingertips too which doesn't help, it leaves my skin very delicate even if not flaring and it hurts like hell sometimes

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has happened to me a few times I always thought it meant id just hit something in my finger like a vein or something. Nothing major it soon stops! hah bit weird though and man you get some weird looks xx