Any T2's out there who are 35 or under?

mimo

Hi All
Just wanted to know if I was the only T2 out there who was 35? Feeling like there is no one a similar age to me that is. Every where I go or read about T2 it's always talking about older people. Please get in touch if you are about the same age as would like to share experiences and how you are managing with things. I am in a bit of a lull at the moment after doing so well after diagnosis. Need to get in the zone again or it's insulin for me in the near future.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Mimo

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
39 going on 25:grin:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi, Im 34 was diagnosed at 31. Was threatened with insulin last may, but then I found low carb and now my DSN is trying to take all my meds away!

mimo

Hello there!! Nice to know am not the only one!! Thanks for replying.
Dont we all wish we were 25 again? I would do so much differently now!!
Thats interesting about the low carb. Am trying that at the moment and hoping it will help. What meds are you both on? Am in SR metformin and now 2 gliclazide along with new statin because too much muscle ache with the last one.
How have you both been managing with T2 at such a young age? If ine more professtional says "your very young to have T2, thats strange" I might have to say something in return.
Mimo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I'm not long 36, got diagnosed in November last year, month before my birthday.
It is nice to keep hearing drs say, you're quite young and you're not overweight :)
I was on metformin, but couldn't cope with it, then went onto 160mg gliclazide and now on 80mg gliclazide, apparently as an experiment. Dr keeps trying to reduce meds, nurse keeps saying go on insulin.

Cub

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Self control ( laura branigan?) :lol:

Lolagirl

Im 33 and diagnosed with T2 in January. Doctor is keen to put me on every medicine going but the tablets dont agree with me.

Managing to control through low carb diet despite being told it was impossible (HBA1C 9.7) and i've lost almost 2st. Now he says I have high BP (130/78) and high cholesterol (5.8) and wants me on tablets for that now. It appears I also have reduced kidney function (81%) so we are keeping an eye on that too.

My diagnosis was the kick up the behind that I needed to get my weight under control. I have never eaten so healthily and feel so much better. My clothes are getting very baggy which is a lovely feeling. Im not going to let Diabetes beat me.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lolagirl said:
Im 33 and diagnosed with T2 in January. Doctor is keen to put me on every medicine going but the tablets dont agree with me.

Managing to control through low carb diet despite being told it was impossible (HBA1C 9.7) and i've lost almost 2st. Now he says I have high BP (130/78) and high cholesterol (5.8) and wants me on tablets for that now. It appears I also have reduced kidney function (81%) so we are keeping an eye on that too.

My diagnosis was the kick up the behind that I needed to get my weight under control. I have never eaten so healthily and feel so much better. My clothes are getting very baggy which is a lovely feeling. Im not going to let Diabetes beat me.

Have you tried fenugreek to naturally balance your cholesterol?
African mango works wonders too.:smile:

blackcat79

Yes im 34 well in 8 days lol. Diagnosed last May bn on metformin x3 glaclizade 80mg x2 both drove me mad as got hitius hernia no pill for that. Was doing ok BS wise till recently so bn gaven Javuain (sp) which hasnt done anything n changed to sr metformin. Bn refered to diabetic clinic saw them on Thurs wasnt impressed by the gp or dietician who both told me to up my carbs from what im having (70g a day) to 130-200g a day!!! Gave my yet another pill to take with the others but stop the glaclizide even tho i told them its hard on my tummy hut the answer was well u should to getting lots of pain like that from a hernia! U need to take these pills i cant do any more for u as ur young tpye 2!!! Il refer u to gasto see what they say re pains. Its a joke no one listens! So new im on glimperide 2mg a day then up it to 4mg in few wks. The extra carbs will b balanced out by this in 2 days do im told erm we will see.
Sue

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for ground seeds (fenugreek) not the leaves :smile:

Try ebay item number : 160883570130

A teaspoon a day should do it.

Indigo

Hi there!

I'm 35 and diagnosed in October after also being diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy - double shock!!

Anyway, it has taken a while but I'm finally feeling a lot better as the meds (metformin and gliclizide) were making me ill and not controlling my bg levels as they should in spite of me cutting down dramatically on the carbs. Anyway I persisted with the GP as feeling that bad is well just not right, as it should make you feel better not worse, and was finally referred back (after trying switching to sr metformin and then just upping the gliclazide) to the to the consultant at the hospital. Result being I'm on Insulin now and as I say feeling much more like myself, as well as feeling more in control of my bg and that hopefully will help with my eyes too.

Nice to hear from you all!

Indigo x

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 35 in December - diagnosed at T2 at 19. :(

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 35 in a few months. Diagnosed at 25 but prior to that I was told I had impaired glucose tolerance. It is difficult. Most of the years the control has not been great. I am running quite high values right now but scared to go to doctor cause I know they will put me on insulin....so watching what i eat and hoping it will make a difference

clay

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder how many of the people posting on this thread are in fact mis-diagnosed Late Onset Type 1s and not insulin resistant T2s? It's quite a common problem as GPs are reluctant to recognise it and do appropriate tests such as GAD and c-peptide and hence insulin treatment gets delayed. BTW Claymic I had my first insulin injection today and I didn't feel anything at all so don't worry about going onto insulin from that viewpoint.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am 31 and have been type 2 for the past 2 years. I have had about a year of denial though. I think I am finally getting over the denial but am now worried about going for my annual review as to say my doctor is a dragon would be a severe understatement :cry:

Indigo

I think Daibell is right the GPs etc dismiss you and all assume as you are that bit older etc., that you are T2. I had the GAD test but that did not not come up with anything and as I'm on insulin now I'll propbably never know as the c-peptide test would not determine how much insulin I'm producing from what I'm injecting. So I'm always going be classed as T2.

Anyway, insulin is not as bad as people can make out and I feel a lot better now that I'm off those tablets as well as more in control of my sugars. Getting back to normal is a great feeling and whilst it seems daunting at first, it is less painful than lancing to test your BG levels and easy to fit in to your day to day activities once you get used to it. I did my first 'public' injections the other day when I was out and about and it was not as bad as I thought plus much better than going to the loo to do it.

Indigox

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Indigo. I decided to pay for a private c-peptide test as my HBa1C was going up and up and my GP wasn't really keen on insulin. It proved what I guessed already i.e. I had very low natural insulin and hence was not insulin resistant despite being labelled as T2. My GAD test also done privately was negative. I've just started insulin as my GP finally realised it was necessary and I'm being managed by a fantastic DN. As you say I can't believe how easy the injection is and it's painless. I wish I had been put onto insulin 2 years ago when I asked. So, what I learn from all this is that there are many different causes of beta cell death and when it happens without being insulin resistant then an early move to insulin rather than a futile long-term battle with tablets may be of benefit.