Finally on DAFNE - Pump questions

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Hello everybody , been a while since I have used online forums , however always read on here via android app.
I'm a type1 , diagnosed 6 years ago on Novorapid & Lantus. Since losing my job a year ago , my levels have gotten a little higher than usual and my latest HBA1C was at it's worst it's been since diagnosed with an awful 10. I visiting my own GP a few weeks ago , as struggling to keep my levels lower than 14 for more than a few hours. This week I finally had confirmation that I have been booked onto DAFNE for early May. When speaking to my GP , pump therapy was mentioned and I was a little shocked when he told me funding wouldn't be an issue , aslong as I attended DAFNE. My question now is , what is my next step , do I book to see my GP , let him know I have been booked onto DAFNE and ask him to get the ball rolling for pump therapy , or wait until I have done DAFNE? I'd like to think when I ask him he will get the ball rolling and i'd be set up on a pump after DAFNE , is it a long process ? Am I easier to get the ball rolling now , or wait until after DAFNE ? :think:

Bombshell13

I'm not sure what you do about the pump but just wanted to say I have done 2 out of 5 days of DAFNE so far ( I'm doing 1 day per week) and I have to say its brilliant! I don't think I would even consider the pump now as its made such a big difference in the flexibility I have already and much tighter control. I was so nervous about going but can't praise it enough!! Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
After the Dafne course I asked at my hospital appointment about the pump and was put on a morning course (no commitments) to look at three different types to see how they worked. We were all then given the option to go on a pump or to stay on injections. We got to choose the pump we preferred and the hospital arranged training for each type of pump. The reps brought the pumps to the training and fitted us up and the diabetic nurse helped with initial basal rates etc. I was given loads of phone numbers to call for assistance if I needed it and I can't fault the NHS as they have been fantastic. My blood sugars are soooooo much better on the pump. You do get used to wearing it all the time and it does unclip for baths, sex, swimming. (not too long though (half an hour or so) as your blood sugars will rise quickly as there is no long term insulin to keep the sugar down while unclipped). Sleeping is not a problem with it attached.
The first three months are a bit like having a new baby! You have to adjust the basal rates to get it right and once or twice wake up to test during the night. It's well worth the effort though!

Hiya

I'd say go on DAFNE and see how you go because it might 'solve everything'. If not, I waited until my next consultant appointment so my sugars were 'still consistently high' after DAFNE. It really isn't great because they basically have a system where if you go on DAFNE and improve, they are a bit apprehensive about giving a pump, but if you're still struggling then they will. Well that's what I think anyway - look at the NICE Criteria. If your sugars are high, you have a strange work schedule, you have bad hypo's or little awareness, you think you might have a possible dawn phenomenon etc. they are also more likely. If not, book yourself a consultant appointment again and go for it, yeah.

I use the Accu-Chek Combo and hope a few of my posts on my blog help

http://undisclosedbeauty.com/accu-chek- ... mp-change/

Good Luck!

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
When I asked my hospital consultant about starting on a pump he told me to start off with testing my blood sugars 4 times a day, which I did! He put me on the DAFNE course which I attended and completed in October 2011 and there was a little delay whilst my Consultant and registrar got the ok for pump funding.

I started on the Medtronic Paradigm Veo insulin pump in May 2012 and have had some good success with it too! :D