Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finzi..back with a vengeance. You wear the crown:grin:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
MODY
Hello. I have been insulin dependant for about 10 years. Not sure if type 1 or 2 as they keep changing the rules.. I have had thrush constantely for about 16 years. I have tried everything that is available. even pile cream to numb it. I can be in tears and nothing helps. Any advice would be appriciated :(

avy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, Glad it's not just me then. I was diagnosed in 2006 and have had this intermitent problem on and off ever since but with time you learn to deal with it and like one of the comments says I keep a supply of treatment in hand. I have a really good GP and nurse who are very understanding. The medication is on my repeat prescription list and I have never had a problem obtaining what I need. Make sure if you are given Clotrimazole cream it is the 2% instead of the 1% as it works much quicker. Yogurt is very effective.
The most important thing is that you do not have to suffer. Go and see your doctor or bend the ear of your practise nurse and get the correct treatment(this is not nappy cream), you may have to try different ones such as the cream with a pessary or the tablets with the cream. You as a diabetic will not have to pay for your prescriptions so try them and see which one works best for you. Cut down on your carbs and before you know it, you will control it rather than it control you.
I hope this helps. :thumbup:

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had diabetes for about 11 years and had the same problem for about 10! It totally is to do with control. Do you find you get high spikes in blood sugar? I am much better controlled now and eat a lot less carbs. Drink lots of water to dilute your urine too. I haven't had it for ages now since being better controlled so good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cultivator

Just a word of caution... I tried to buy canestan over the counter last year and the pharmacist actually asked if I was diabetic and then said she couldn't sell it to me ! So I did get it from G.P - who never batted and eyelid and didn't give me any advice about it being connected to my sugar levels or anything - so that was a fat lot of use - apart from the fact that I didn't have to pay for it ! tee heee. Bought some more recently in a different chemist (yes, I could do with better sugar control - obv :( ) and this one asked me how old I am as, apparantly they can't sell it to over 60's !! Leaving aside a vague sense of surprise at her thinking I could be over 60 I suppose the best thing - and cheapest - is to get it from G.p. Supermarket is so much easier though :think:

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Or just tell them you're not diabetic! Also if you have had in last three months thy wont sell to you as if you have said no, it might point to diabetes... I got used to these porkies! But it's better to get to the bottom of why you are getting it rather than just keep taking medicine!

Alanej

I was suffering from Athlete's foot while skiing in France (this is relevant I promise!). Decided to get some cream from the pharmacy, so looked up Athlete's Foot in French - mycose. Asked for some "crème contre mycose", and got into a long conversation - was it for me? where did I get the mycose? Finally explained "between my toes". She smiled, and I got my cream. Once home, I looked up mycose in my dictionary. Seems it most often means thrush, but can be jock itch, athlete's foot etc. Explains the grilling!

eddie864

For guys ... I get thrush every now and then and it's awful.

Part of it is about hygiene where some pee stays on the penis after peeing. With diabetics (we handle infections less well than non diabetics) this pee can also be quite sugary and this opens the floodgates for Thrush as the fungus loves warm, wet areas and the addition of sugar is the cream on the top! Untreated thrush can quickly lead to Balanitis and Phimosis both of which us guys also need to avoid.

So, Cure and prevention. Wash and dry your "bits" every time you pee and wash and dry yourself in-between pees as well. This stops your penis being a beacon for thrush. I use Canestan Duo which offers a cream (clotrimazole) to apply topically and a tablet (fluconazole) that kills the fungus far quicker than the cream does alone.

Don't know about the ladies who seem to be more prone to thrush anyway but I'm sure the hygiene part is relevant too.

Finzi

Quite agree. And remember, it can be passed back and forward between sexual partners, so it's no good treating one and not the other. Ladies are more prone because it is a bit *ahem* warmer, darker and moister in there. I agree about the hygiene but never ever be tempted to douche because it disrupts the natural pH of the vagina. Unless its with natural live (sugar free!) yoghurt.

Jokeeble1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1 diabetic and suffer from thrush a lot :-(. Doctors diagnosed me with it, but offered no treatment for it. I stick to canesten cream.

pamela61

Remember that Cannestan comes in various strengths and for various uses. If thrush is caused by diabetes and not sexually, there is a different type of cannestan you should use.
Personally, I experienced a really nasty case after 'taking a break' from my diabetes meds (Metformin). It lasted for three months and the doc was not impressed when I told him it was not sexually caused. He gave me the one-off use tiny tube of cream, which sorted it out. However, my blood sugar continued to spiral upwards and I had to ask the chemist for the appropriate cream. Oh, heaven! I wish doctors would get some up-to-date diabetic training!
The chemist explained the different strengths and gave me 2% Clotrimazole (Canestan). But if you suffer often, maybe speak to your doc and request tests.
When you get diagnosed, there should be a sensible pack of information, explaining about how much diabetes loves fungus!
Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Jokeeble1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I got my results back they just said it was a "slight growth of thrush" and that was it. Nothing about treatment atall. Maybe I should go back :)

amandajane

I certainly used to have thrush a great deal pre diagnosis of type 2. However, my control is very good lately so I was surprised to be told that I had candidiasis in my oesophagus when I recently had a gastroscopy. I have now taken an antibiotic for a month which I hope has knocked it on the head but who knows?

I used to use acidophilus tablets to help prevent thrush, these worked well and also live yoghurt, used topically and eaten!

Morganator

I used to be plagued by thrush and continually using pessaries and various creams, when I mentioned to my nurse she gave me a prescription for a weeks course of fluconazole which worked very well. She also gave me another box to use if there was any flare up. I have used it a couple of times now and it really hits the itch.

kazwbb

I ONLY get thrush when I have been on antibiotics. It obviously knocks my system off kilter. I have to say my GP is very good about it and will add Canestan to my prescription on request (I live in Wales so that makes it free of charge) I am on antibiotics frequently due to a non diabetes related condition.

Anyone else have similar problems? I never used to get this reaction to antibiotics when I was younger.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Unfortunately, antibiotics kill the "good" bacteria as well as the bad ones; this causes an imbalance and gives the thrush a chance to flare up again.

If I'm given a course of antibiotics I always make a point of eating live yoghurt for the same time period; sometimes I also add a daily low-sugar pro-biotic drink as well. This boosts the intestinal flora and fauna.

Though I can't pretend to be an expert on this; as far as I can remember I've never had thrush in my life!

Viv 8)

kazwbb

viviennem said:
Unfortunately, antibiotics kill the "good" bacteria as well as the bad ones; this causes an imbalance and gives the thrush a chance to flare up again.

If I'm given a course of antibiotics I always make a point of eating live yoghurt for the same time period; sometimes I also add a daily low-sugar pro-biotic drink as well. This boosts the intestinal flora and fauna.

Though I can't pretend to be an expert on this; as far as I can remember I've never had thrush in my life!

Viv 8)

I eat live yoghurt and use a probiotic drink every day as I find they help with my IBS. Still get thrush when I have antibiotics though.

pollybostik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

Update for my original post. I went back to the Doctors and saw one of the Lady doctors who explained why I had gotten thrush so bad it was the fact I have had a double course of antibiotics. She gave me a single tablet to take and four tubes of cansten 2%. I went to the chemist with my prescription and handed it over and they tried to fob me off with the 1% as they tried to tell me there was no difference!! what tosh if there was no difference why do they put on 1% and 2%. Anyway stood my ground and got what my Doctor had put on the prescription. I sometimes think they see grey hair and think senile.

To cut a long story short the tablet and cream have cleared it up :clap:

Thank you all for the helpful advice.