Fed up

Denise02

Done my bg at 17.15 and it was 12.5 took 6novorapid and 6 Lantus checked 2 hours later and it's just went dwn 2 11.9what in the hell is going on today can't get it dwn at all :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

maxies-mom

Re: Fed up

Oh Denise there are days like this! I find with Max getting a high down is often a challenge on some days and not on others. It is the baffling part of the disorder. I get Max to drink at least a half litre of ice cold water which helps. Apart from that all I can say is strength to you darling. Sending a giant love from the forest which wont help the Bg level at all but at least you know someone out here is thinking about you and commiserating.
So, love from the forest
Philly
xxx

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Denise I feel your pain! before breakfast I was 7.4, brilliant!!!! Despite me carefully taking the right amount of novorapid to go with my porridge (the wee sachet so I knew the amount of carbs) I end up at 15.3 by mid morning and I've not been able to bring it down all day despite correcting on 3 occassions now! Sh**e isn't it?

Denise02

Thanks yeah it is just going 2 do my test the nw b4 supper and I no it's still high cause got a bit of a headache coming on nw glad I'm not the only one running high :(

iHs

Hi

Can I ask you both whether you are using the '100 rule' to work out your correction doses of insulin?

iHs

Ahhhhhhh :)

The 100 rule works out a correction factor for you based on what your average total daily dose of insulin is (this is the basal plus the daily bolus added together). The idea is that you do a bg test and if it is above what it should be, you calculate a correction dose using the 100 rule and then write it down on piece of paper and then work out your insulin to carb ratio based on the amount of carb that you are going to eat and then whatever that amount is, you then add the correction bolus to the carb bolus and deliver the insulin in one injection. If you haven't done it as yet, do look up BDEC as recommended by others which will help you.
Most people start off with carb ratios using 1u to 10g carb and then test their bg levels about 2hrs later to see if their bg level is ok or is higher than it should be and then if it is, like above 12mmol, they deliver a correction dose so that they can get back towards their target bg level. Targets vary from person to person though..... my target is to try to be 6mmol before my main meals, then 8.5 - 9.5mmol 2 hrs later. Look at the NICE bg guidelines.
It is thought that most people will probably need to use 1u for 8g carb at breakfast time and then by testing bg levels every 2 or 2.5hrs, they then start to adjust the ratios to deliver more or less insulin so that they dont have to use a correction factor. It does take time to get everything ok probably about 1 week but definately use a good bg monitoring book, write down insulin doses, carb eaten and carb ratios being used....

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Fair enough, sounds like a lot to take in but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I think my signature line will highlight why!

joshg123

Oh my! I struggle to get mine down once theyve rocketed too! mine are 24.3 at the moment, have been for a couple of hours, impossible! :shock:

joshg123

Alasdair said:
Fair enough, sounds like a lot to take in but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I think my signature line will highlight why!
Sorry for a double post, but out of interest, have you had many complications from that?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

joshg123 said:
Alasdair said:
Sorry for a double post, but out of interest, have you had many complications from that?
Yes josh, I'm now getting laser treatment in both eyes and my circulation isn't what it used to be, among other things