Type2 ..exercise..and BG readings.

milehouse

Hi I have been dx type 2 for over a year now. My HbA1C has gone down from starting at 49 to 43. I take 5oo mg Metformin.

I have recently bought my own BG monitoring kit. I have been increasing my exercise (fast walking and a fitness DVD) but unfortunately my readings have gone up from an average of 5.8 > 7.1 to 7.3 > 9.5. My diet has been the same so I can't understand why this can be happening.
I thought more exercise would bring my readings down not up! :?

Dupont

I am the same as you minus the metformin.

I find if I exercise vigorously and take my blood sugar readings then it sometimes comes up in the 6's or high 5's.

I can only assume the liver gives you a shot of glucose if you need it when exercising?

lavenderchild

I found when I first started exercising my BG would go through the roof. I found out that the body goes into shock and the liver does a little hissy fit and does a dump so to speak- but as you exercise more your numbers will come down as your body get's use to it.. this is what happened to me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I did a HARD walk on Monday and my BG stayed the same all day. I'm an experienced exerciser. I do 3 aqua mobility sessions, 2 gym classes, I seated exercise session and at least one hike per week. Exercise can put blood glucose up, especially if your body judges you to be Low, but I think we adapt if we keep it going and accustom ourselves to NORMAL blood sugars [around 5]
Hana

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
natural, are you a ladiesfinger grower ? by any chance ?

and how do you keep water lukewarm for 8 HOURS ?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive just checked my bloods and for the first time ever without exercise i was 5.4.
There's a coors lite in the fridge with my name on it.:smile:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
milehouse said:
Hi I have been dx type 2 for over a year now. My HbA1C has gone down from starting at 49 to 43. I take 5oo mg Metformin.

I have recently bought my own BG monitoring kit. I have been increasing my exercise (fast walking and a fitness DVD) but unfortunately my readings have gone up from an average of 5.8 > 7.1 to 7.3 > 9.5. My diet has been the same so I can't understand why this can be happening.
I thought more exercise would bring my readings down not up! :?

The fact that your HBA1c has gone down shows that the overall level of glucose in your blood is lower. The fact that you are getting higher readings from your plasma reading is a short term thing. That's up and down every 30 mins. That's why we test foods with it, to see what the short term effect is. As has been pointed out, if you exercise, your body needs more energy and so your liver dutifully delivers it. What exercise also does is improve insulin sensitivity and so that brings it back down, but not as quickly. But the initial ups are less than the belated downs and so the difference, over 12 weeks, is seen in the lower HBA1c reading.

You can get different finger prick readings by pricking different fingers and they are variable anyway. HBA1c is the accurate guide because that is an indication of how long the glucose was in the plasma before it became bound with the haemaglobin. The quick in and out glucose doesn't bind. That can change with as little as a teaspoon of cider vinegar.