The bread isle

Slesser1

I'm new to the forum so may be teaching granny how to suck eggs, but I make microwave flaxseed and almond bread. It takes literally a minute to prepare and a minute to cook, and can be varied with cheese or cinnamon etc. Im still experimenting. Approx 2 carbs per slice but 2g fibre, so = 0 carbs. The great thing is, I only make 2 slices at a time so only make what I need. It is actually really nice too x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AMBrennan

Nope. The British just can't make decent bread... Seriously, who came up with idea or making bread that's softer than butter?

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK Slesser1 - please give us the recipe and tell how you get slices!!

Finzi

I'm looking forward to seeing Slesser's recipe (hint, hint, Slesser....!) but in terms of getting slices, I find that quite easy with my microwave bread recipe

I mix 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of oil, two tablespoons of ground flaxseed (i pref golden because it gives a more bread like appearance) and half a teaspoon of baking powder very thoroughly in a rectangular microwaveable plastic container (the kind that you get takeaway meals in). This amount will give you a layer about thickness of a thickish slice of bread. Microwave for two minutes until dry on top. Take out of the container, cut it in half to make two slices and .... here's the key thing .... put them in the toaster. This transforms it from a slightly spongy creation to something that is really not that far off toast. I like mine slathered in butter and marmite. Or peanut butter.

Cals: 200
Carbs: 0.3

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just bothered that all that flaxseed will have me on the loo for days :)

Slesser1

You need 1tbs ground flaxseed, 1.5tbs ground almonds, 1/4 tsp sweetener, 1/2 tsp baking powder an egg and a tsp water. Just throw everything in a bowl and mix well. Pour into a bread shaped dish (i just use a plastic carton from a chinese takeaway) Nuke for 60-70
seconds, turn out and let cool. Slice as you would a bread bun and thats it. I sometimes add a bit of cheese (takes practise) or cinnamon (lovely toasted). You can make it by doubling the flaxseed and leaving out the almond but its stronger. Ive also used a rounded cup to put it in, and used it as a burger bun with quornburger and salad. X

Slesser1

Same recipe finzi, but the ground almond makes it just that bit sweeter and easier to handle. I like it with or without tho. Wouldnt worry too much about loo habits. Hasnt had any affect so far and ive been making this for a while. You can also add flaxseed to 1 egg omlette mix to make it go further without using another egg. This can also be done on a plate in microwave. Very versatile stuff! X

Finzi

I did the burger bun thing with a cup just the other day! (Then, the burger meal was so massive that I ended up not wanting the bun anyway!). Another tip is to make it the night before so that at breakfast you just have to bung it in the toaster.

I might try your almond one - sounds really nice. Might be lower in calories than mine too (the majority of my calories come from the tablespoon of oil). I know ground almonds are high calorie too though.

Flaxseed has never caused me a toilet problem!

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
co op does the warburtons seeded wholemeal bread. 2 for £2.20

kevinf1967

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
flaxseed wheres best to buy? i got mine from H&B and its ok just wondering if anywhere better... cheaper

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi have started doing it in milled form in a few varieties for under two:smile: quid a bag

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
kevinf1967 said:
oooooo will take a gander just round corner from me :)
With the cereals;-)

Slesser1

Finzi I dont use oil. Its the same without it. I dont make it with almonds all the time but prefer it for breakfast. I think the benefits of almonds outweigh the cons. You said you have peanut butter? I love this, but didnt think I was allowed. Do you just have it as a treat? Great to know aldi do the milled flax as it is a fiver a bag in holland & barrett. Love this forum already! Lol

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll try that recipe. Thanks .
I have seen the flax in Aldi but I thought it was one of their one off special offers. Good to know it is still there. I bought some unsweetened Almond milk from Asdathis week . It was only £1.05 and tastes very acceptable against the unsweetened soya milk (the ones that contain soya beans + water and none of the other ****!).

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slesser1 said:
Finzi I dont use oil. Its the same without it. I dont make it with almonds all the time but prefer it for breakfast. I think the benefits of almonds outweigh the cons. You said you have peanut butter? I love this, but didnt think I was allowed. Do you just have it as a treat? Great to know aldi do the milled flax as it is a fiver a bag in holland & barrett. Love this forum already! Lol

Consider a peanut butter that doesn't use palm oil.
There's a good one from Sainsburys called peanut butter co old fashioned crunchy. You mix it a few times as the oil resides on the surface, but its sooooo :)tasty

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not just buy Meridian peanut butter that contains peanuts and nothing else in it!! H & B and health food shops sell it.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How would you swallow it without choking though?

I imagine it would be very coarse that's all?

Finzi

I get my peanut butter from Wholefoods, where you just grind your own. But I don't think peanut butter is forbidden anyway, as far as I know. It's not something I'd eat loads of, but I go on 10g which is a heaped teaspoon full is just under 1 net carb. Even if you use a teaspoonful for each slice, it's not that bad. What are your concerns about it?

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Finzi

Re milled flax, to those who were asking, yes you can get it in H&B but you can also get it in sainsbury. I've not done a direct gram for gram price comparison but going on what H&B charge for other stuff, I'm guessing sainsbury is cheaper. Golden linseed, which is my preferred one for making the bread because its a nicer color, you can also get in sainsbury but I buy it in my local Indian shop. I grind it myself, some people use a coffee grinder, I don't have one but I have a vitamix, and that does the job beautifully.