Diabetic and Depression

FoxyRoxy

Dislikes
Ipswich Town, having diabetes and bipolar, intolerance, the Daily Mail, Twitter, bad music
PS - I would like to get in contact with any bipolar bears for some peer support and chats about managing the two conditions. I worry about managing my diabetes when I'm 'unwell'. :shh:

emmaLC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffer from bi polar depression anxiety I have 3 kids and often put my health needs on the back burner my hc1b is always 11 ish I just haven't got the time to stop and I feel that a pump would suit me better I know I shud put my health first but in reality it starts off well and fizzles out then I lose control and round and round we go 20 years I've been like this for grrrr I'm 41 and now it's worrying how would I get a pump????

FoxyRoxy

Dislikes
Ipswich Town, having diabetes and bipolar, intolerance, the Daily Mail, Twitter, bad music
Sounds like we've got a bit of a theme here relating to bipolar and pumps. In this situation, does someone undertake to pursue the issue on behalf of the forum?
Debs

Shaun IDD1970

I have not been diagnosed with depression, but we are prone to it: diabetic Stan Laurel famously had it.

Luckily I was diagnosed type 1 when aged 5. Now over 40 years later the diabetes is no big thing for me; I certainly say it does not control my life, though maybe it has a significant input. That view helps me keep a positive outlook, even though I could do with more work and ..... arrggh. Anyway I do what others do and diabetes is a tiny part of my life.

For me: I believe once you set the target of controlling the diabetes, blood sugars and hypos etc you have less fear and it may be a step off the vicious spiral. The diabetes has to be a pattern in your life. That is simplistic but true for me

Shaun

Tybir

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 15yrs old when i first new I had diabetes, I am now 37 and at the moment I am struggling with depression. I do my day to day injections and blood sugars which have been up and down due to colds or chest infections etc. as for my depression, i just wish I could get up in the mornings and feel like there's a purpose in life instead of feeling like a hamster running on its wheel and getting no where. I've had my anti-depressents (if they can be called that) changed time after time and still feel as if i'm getting no where. Today has been an eye opener and i am thankful that this forum is here so we can see that we are'nt the only ones feeling the way we do and hoping there's a way to see us all with bright and happy futures.

Brian

Dear Steph,,,

My names Tony and I've just read your story and situation??? Thanks very, very much indeed.. Anyway I suffer extremely bad with depression and even worse anxiety and also STILL after 7/8yrs now??? Don't have ANY sort of control over my Type1 'Mellitus' diabetes??? It literally tears away at my mind body and heart 'emotions' fear the full lot (nightmare)..! So like you I used to only really have my mum to confide an talk to about all the same stuff as you??? However the big 'C' cancer came and took my dear mum from me??? So long story short Steph..! Now 3yrs have passed... Leaving me desperate for all this time??? So no your not the only one in that boat!!! Anyway the one thing I have recently found is Church an it helps a massive part of my life??? Why??? Because it's belief and it tends to help us to help ourselves in a right way!!! So just know this Steph??? I'm still living that same nightmare as you!!! However something larger that than life seems to be guiding me along??? Hence going to church??? I've put my faith in GOD and accepted the gift of JESUS CHRIST our lord who loves us ALL and that I now believe is my saviour Amen,,! So Steph just know that your not alone in your despair..! Just never give up and try new ways and you will find a way through!!! Be lucky okay.. Kindest regards.... Tony:p, x

Werthepeople

Dislikes
Nasty people
MadameHope said:
hey guys,

again thank you all for your replies and support it really is nice to know i'm not the only person that feels like this and that other people with diabetes have felt down when it comes to this.

Although I havn't seen my gp yet (bloody NHS and waiting times) i'm slowly starting to manage with my control.
Not done any blood testing yet (lost my meter and not been able to get a new one) but i'm remembering to take my insulin more often which is helping less thirsty, less frequent bathroom runs and my temper is less fraied as it used to be.
I still havn't looked into any support groups or found any other diabetics within the liverpool area but once i look into it i'm sure to find somebody

x
Hi steph ad me on fb david atkinson would love to talk to some 1 in same position x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Werthepeople

Dislikes
Nasty people
MadameHope said:
hey guys,

again thank you all for your replies and support it really is nice to know i'm not the only person that feels like this and that other people with diabetes have felt down when it comes to this.

Although I havn't seen my gp yet (bloody NHS and waiting times) i'm slowly starting to manage with my control.
Not done any blood testing yet (lost my meter and not been able to get a new one) but i'm remembering to take my insulin more often which is helping less thirsty, less frequent bathroom runs and my temper is less fraied as it used to be.
I still havn't looked into any support groups or found any other diabetics within the liverpool area but once i look into it i'm sure to find somebody

x
Whats ur name il add u on fb ??

raffajaffa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gooseberries fish, medium to hot spices, strong alcohol as it does not agree with my liver
:D
MadameHope said:
Hi

talking to my mum about how I've been feeling lately she asked about my diabetes and do I think it's a cause to my depression. Personally I think it is but I also told her lately I've just felt isolated and abandoned when it comes to my health.

anyway I was just wondering if anyone else ever feels like this cause I just feel like it's just me would love to see what other people think

Steph x

MadamHope
Sorry I never spotted your posting earlier but it would be worth your while looking up Lantus problems on this site and you will find the answer
I was very gratefull to find salvation here.
As a fellow scouser I went downhill into depression quickly when this stuff and Apidra caused this side effect.
Unless people have been there I dont think they understand.It was totally out of character for me and I wasnt even aware
of it though others watching me noticed it.
I have studied db for years and reaction/side effects to lantus type insulins are not uncommon.
Ask to switch to levimir/novorapid which is made differently. It helped me a lot but I still have a mild brain fogging which is also quite common.
The diabetic nurses dont like to be told this.( It is as high as 5 percent in some cases)
They usually try to blame alcohol which I can only tolerate in small levels.
Best of luck. Dave

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Steph.

You are not alone. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I now suffer with anxiety and depression.
I don't know what can help but I found knowing I wasn't alone and what I was feeling was natural was a great help
K

Btw I am in the Isle of Man! So close and yet so far!!!

Lyndesay

Hi Steph,

Like the rest of your comments state, you are definitely not alone!

I have had type 1 for 27 years and have struggled from day one. There has never been a good control with it, poor control has lead to getting both eyes lasered.

I have suffered depression from late teens and it has obviously got worse over the years, leading to anxiety problems, having no symptoms with hypos would certainly make this worse. So it is very hard to deal with the condition itself, never mind the other issues.

Was very surprised to see so many comments with regards to this, it is a comfort in its own respect to know we are not alone.

Anytime you would like to chat, please message me.

Lyndesay x

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been Type 1 for 46 years. I have had periods of depression on and off the entire time. It is only in recent years that depression inDiabetics has been recognised. I am going through an horrific time with depression at the
moment. I live in Spain and support is virtually non existent. The comment about never getting a pack on the back is sadly oh so true. "normal people" who suffer from a cold or general malaise get more support than us
diabetics who have to deal with various problems which are related to diabetes on a daily basis. I have learned that the only help I can expect is from myself. As I look fit and well, dress well and keep going, people want to live their own lives and I just have to carry on. It is a lonely disease and diabetics have to learn to be stronger than normal. I am finding it almost impossible at the moment but I have to pull myself up the best I can......until the next time.

Knightwatch

I go roughly every 3 weeks to see my Health Care Nurse as I am on Byetta Injections - to cut a long story short its become a real bind this diabetic thing & one visit all is ok local testing is with in the guidelines & next week its out of sorts, nurse says its to do with my pancreas & when I test - yet I test at a different time evey morning. - So happens I was at GP on another matter he says all is ok & in fact no change within past 2yrs, now I will be having my annual MOT next week & can guartee my Hba1c/Kertones will be wrong & yet I eat almost same food every week - this means another moan from consultant who was unhappy at last checkup. It appears to me nobody knows what's right or wrong & to make matters worse my wife is at the end of her tether as to what to buy next when shopping, bought new Greek Yoghurt yesterday a sweet for after Dinner - todays test 10.2 - So it can become very depressing as to what you do next :D

Endoftheline

Hi Geoff, I am on a pump but they expect you to be very motivated prior to getting one . The testing regime is the same before meals and then 2 hours after and you have to be rigid with carb control. Also you would need to be comfortable with computers as the pump has to be programmed to suit your body. If you can prove to your doctor that you are motivated enough to visit the clinic regularly and control your diabetes they may reconsider. I had to do this before getting one and they arebquitenstrict if I do not keep my levels down but it does mean I only have to put the device in my stomach approx 3 times per week but do have to fiddle about with the pump including sleeping with it.

volvicwater22

They are deffinetly linked, for me its because i get jealous and annoyed that people don't understand it and think its **** easy. You need to get a diabetic best friend :) and try not to let it define your personality too much. on the brightside it makes us like superhumans, we are unique and strong hehe

MadameHope

Dislikes
MY FRICKING DIABETES, rudeness, obnoxiousness and just being a plain old douche !
Hey guys

Sorry for not replying back recently

Honestly since I posted this I've still have up an down moments about my diabetes but I do know I have a wide support group of people who can help me an understand how I feel and what I'm going through.

On a plus I changed my job to a company who are more understanding of my condition
And the therapy I underwent for anxiety and depression was a major turn in my life and I totally changed my lifestyle to more positive outlook and it has helped (even though I had days were I'm fed up of being diabetic)

Anyway great to hear from you guys

MadameHope x

Sharon Guy

I have just been put on anti depressants as with the increase in depression so has my control suffered. My hba1c is 10.6. I am totally fed up of it but have been trawling through various threads looking for advice and pointers to help me get through.

You and I are definately not alone and that is a comfort in itself.

bunzorunny

Hya Steph, :eh:
Aw, so sad to hear your news, even though you feel sad at the moment do not despair. I know exactly what you are talking about and I have had it for 55 years. When I was diagnosed 55 years ago diabetes was very rare indeed; I was the only one I knew with it, the support and help I got in childhood was brilliant! Then I turned 16/18 what ever age, I cannot remember now; things changed for the worse. By the time I had reached 45 things had got really bad, worse than ever, this lead me to do vast amounts of research, because I was very scared and did not know what to do - every where I went I got no help. I felt total abandonment after doing what they had told me for 45 years I felt the horrid feeling of desperation, hopelessness and what was the point!

I realised then that there has to be more to life than this and there is loads you can do and I know I have done it and had remarkable results! I felt so strongly about it that I have done my own web page on it. I have tried the traditional approach for 45 years and it failed me dramatically leading to other complications. So, that is what made me think there is more in life than just traditional medicine. I prefer the natural approach and it has changed my life completely! myhealth4life.wordpress.com
I am always learning about new stuff. If your interested please take a look and leave me a comment.
Kind regards
Lyn
Never give up Steph - you are not alone! I am looking to find a support group or start my own if anyone else is interested? Any ideas anyone?

Mbmdp

I am a type 2 and suffer from GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) diagnosed by a psychiatrist as I thought I had Bipolar.

I also suffer with depression and if someone would shake me I'd rattle with all the pills I'm on.

You are deffinetly not alone although sometimes when I'm very down I feel like I'm on my own.

Don't suffer in silence hun xx

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lyn,
Please can you post a link to your website - I would be VERY keen to read it.

Thank you. :)