BS low teens

N

NicolaB68

Would running my bs at around 10,11,12,13 etc make me feel tired and sluggish ?
These days I am totally worn out and could sleep forever xx

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, Nicola,
Yes it could is the short answer, however there are many things that could also be making you feel tired. It might be worth having a check up with your GP but also trying to get your blood sugar lower. Is there anything that you are struggling with that makes your bs run a bit higher or does it stay at that level all the time?
Laura

N

NicolaB68

I am desperate to lose weight without becoming constipated so am eating carbs and not having the correct amount of insulin as insulin is fattening, silly eh x

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nicola,
I can see where you're comming from but the easiest way to lose weight is to balance the amount of carbohydrates, excercise, and insulin that you have. There are lots of on here that stick to low carb I have nothing aganist it but if you want to eat carbs it is still possible to lose weight. It's all about a good balancing act. I would try and reduce the amount of carbs and try and replace them with veg. You definitely won't be constipated then :shifty: . It might be worth increasing the amount of excercise you do as well. There are quite a few posts on here about how to adjust your insulin so that you're not going low during excercise. That way you can burn off calories and reduce your insulin amount without having high blood sugars. It's much easier for me to do on a pump I can just temporarily reduce my basal and off I go. If I do fancy some chocolate or some pasta for lunch I like to have them on a day where I then have to cycle into uni from work (7 miles) that quite nicely burns off a kitkat chunky for me. If I'm having some carbs for tea I try not to give myself big portions especially if I'm having a slow day (sitting on my bum all day at work/uni) instead I would in the case of spag bol have lots of veg in with the mince bit and have a smaller bit of pasta. If we have large lots of carbohydrate and don't utilise it through excercise it will go straight into fat stores. Do you carb count? or are you just on set injections? When you manage to get your bg back in control it hopefully will give you more energy as well so you feel like excercising. I hope that helped a little good luck Laura. xx

N

NicolaB68

Thanks for your advice and as all advice from this site makes sense. I sit on my bum all day at work and drive to and from the office so exercise is definitely a requirement for me. I do know how to carb count but I don't.know how many to eat to lose weight. Xx

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't really answeer that for you everyone is completely individual someone could be the same height and weight to another person and eat exactly the same thing and do the same amount of activity but loose and gain weight at completely different rates.

This is what I do all completely personal to me.
I know I need to loose a bit of weight I'm on the boarder line of normal to over weight I'm about 5'9 and 80kg. I would like it to be about 70-75kg. I'm not all that determined as I believe I have quite a healthy lifestyle so I'm gradually getting there just slowly as i love my food and eating out!! If I'm having a lazybum day in that I know I'll be stuck at work doing stats and graphs on the computer all day I tend to limit my carb intake to about 150g roughly 15units I'm on a pump so my basal can be altered really easily. With that I will at least have half an hour walking my 2 dogs. If I'm having a bsy lab day at work hauling stuff around running up and down the stairs then I have to cyle 7 miles to uni and back again I double the amount of carbs I'm allowed and increase my insulin but not all the way to 30 units as I said before if I fancy having some chocolate or carby thing for lunch I can then just cycle it off. I can also adjust my basal if needed depending on what I've eaten what I'm doing etc etc. If I'm having a full blown all out excercise day where I go hiking/climbing somewhere in the morning and kayaking cycling swimming somewhere in the afternoon I increase the amount of carbs again to about 350 but I try to have stuff like porridge, fruit, low gi grains to keep me going all day cause you get pretty hungry even if your bg isn't low. Also I'll adjust my basal to stop lows as well.
This works for me and If I stick to it I know I could get to 70kg no probs I was 78kg this morning. I just don't like sticking to it all the time If I get a craving for something then I just have it otherwise I fantisize about it then binge.
I don't know if that's helpful to you or not.
Laura

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi nicola , running sugars consistently at those levels would make me tired but as already said may be something else and worth mentioning to gp. As for weight loss there is some advice I could give you all be it not proffesional. The average lady would need 2000 cals a day so to reduce that by 500 cals for a daily total of 1500 cals. Half of these should be from carbs so 750 cals from carbs would be approx 190 carbs a day with the other 750 cals from low fat protein and a small amount of fat. You should use the correct insulin for your carbs so your body can process them efficiantly and not think its starving. Also even a small amount of excercise every other day will increase your metabolism causing you to need less insulin as.your body will utilise it better. When starting any excercise always test before during and after to get your ratios correct. Hope this helps and good luck.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app