Hypo after taking levimir, anyone else had this?

LaughingHyena

I've had a few occasions now where I've tested and got an OK result, then taken my levimir as usual and found myself hypo not long after. The other evening I was driving home so tested before getting in the car, 8.2. Drove the 5 minutes home, made a cuppa and took my levimir. Around 15 minutes later I felt not quite right so tested again, now 2.6!

My first thought the first time this happened was that I'd taken novorapid by mistake, however I now have a novopen echo which records the last use so I know that at least the last couple of occasions that is not the issue. The two readings the other night were on different meters, but even so, I have checked them out with control solution and both are fine.

Could I have have hit a spot where the levimir was asborbed to fast? Is that even possible with long acting insulin?

iHs

Levemir shouldn't cause you to go hypo as quickly as youve stated as its meant to be just 'background'.

Where are you injecting it? Tummy, legs, bum? I always found that the bum was best place for background because it;s absorbed a bit more slowly....

LaughingHyena

I usually inject it in the top of my leg/bum.

I know levimir shouldn't work that fast, I just end up wondering if somehow it is anyway. I've never been one to do things "by the book"

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you accidentally inject into a muscle this will speed up the rate at which insulin is absorbed, like iHs I always inject my basal in the buttocks which I find more comfortable.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Be careful blaming your basal shot.... I would personally tjink it would have been part of the previous bolus.. Especially if this isnt a one off and in the evening.. Its probably just coincidence that you have just done a basal shot..
What was the time of your last bolus injections prior to these two incidents

I really dont think this will be the fault of your basal injection.

Blondie153

We have found that as well. Just double check that there is enough time between your novorapid and taking your Levimir. The DSN advised 1 and a half hours if possible. We can only do this at night not morning

LaughingHyena

With all the kids evening clubs we usually have dinner fairly early, 5:45 at the latest, I don't usually do my levimir till 9:30 ish. I would have expected a hypo from the novorapid to have been a bit earlier in the evening. I test before the eveing jab to check I'm OK to go to bed, so again I would expect that reading to be low if it was a case of miss counting carbs at dinner.

Usually I can work out why I had a hypo, mostly when I've had a meal our or something tricky to carb count. Just these couple of evening ones I haven't been able to pin point and got me wondering. Fortunately it's not often, just noticed it a couple of times in the last 6 months or so.

LaughingHyena

Hmm, it happened again this week, test at 6.9 before a drive home, then an hour or so later tested again at 3.8. This time before I'd injected anything!

Looks like it's not the levimir then, Tuesdayits it is. Both the recent events have been tuesdays, now just need to work out what I'm doing differently on Tuesdays. Admittedly busy day, though I can't quite see why watchng the kids swimming lessons would drop my BS level :crazy: stragner things have happened. I also don't knwo why hoovering the stairs seems to make me hypo.

Still it's the fast drop that puzzles me.

cezzle

Yep even though they say it shouldn't happen my daughter has a large drop every time she takes Levemir within an hour. I just think everyone is different and some people react differently to others ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App