Carb counting

katto

Hi all,

Ive never been taught to carb count...I do the guesstimating thing and tend to have same kind of things to eat but do correctional doses if not within range after eating. My latest hba1c was 6.4 which Is within range. Just wondering does anyone else not carb count on here?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pearsall85

Carb counting isnt difficult, there are lots of books you can buy which will give you the value of carbs in different weights of food. There are phone apps that you can scan bar codes in to tell you the nutritional information but the easiest way is to just look at the back of the packet of what your eating.

Stu.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
katto said:
Just wondering does anyone else not carb count on here?

By ''guesstimating'' you are indeed carb counting (albeit roughly) and your Hba1c of 6.4 is pretty good..... so not sure what your asking Katto :?

I do, but not very often estimate the carb content of my food, typical example is eating out in restaurants or buying take-away food when out for the day, other than that I do try and weigh and calculate my food so that the insulin I give will closely match it as far as possible, even when I don't cook myself my wife weighs out my food and tells me the carb content of my meal.

This is an on-line carb counting course similar to DAFNE, you do need to register first but by all accounts its very useful:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

you've maybe learnt to in a way carb count for your regular meals by trial and error over time.
i may be wrong, but an HbA1c can be within target even if BG levels through the day are fluctuating between high and low -it's not a foolproof marker of control, just a guiding indicator.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
Theres a quick intro into carb counting on the diabetes scotland webby I pasted a link in another post yesterday. Its a basic intro to give you an idea of what to look for and how to start carb counting.
Obviously doing the online course at bdec or a DAFNE type course is much better.

http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Pu ... unting.pdf