Good Fruits For Diabetics

MYY

I hear Apples and Pomegranates are good as the sugars in these fruits do not contribute to increased sugar levels significantly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Virgo123

A lot of D people I know dont eat apples. I will eat a small one or half.
A small one is approx 10g carb.

Berries are usually recommended in small doses with yoghurt or cream.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm a T2 and have to be careful with fruit.
i think the key is in portion size. If you know how many carbs you can handle, look up your chosen fruit for carb content and work out the appropriate portion size.
Hana

hallii

We all vary, I can now eat most fruit (but not bananas, grapes, melon ) apples have to be Cox's or similar, they seem to have less sugar in them. Oranges are OK but if it's a large one I halve it, I can eat a whole pomegranite but the seeds are a pain, I
eat all sorts of berries without problems.

Back in th early days I would struggle with oranges and apples so maybe my pancreas is coping a bit better nowadays.

H

MYY

hanadr said:
I'm a T2 and have to be careful with fruit.
i think the key is in portion size. If you know how many carbs you can handle, look up your chosen fruit for carb content and work out the appropriate portion size.
Hana

Thanks for your reply Hanadr.

Do you have the link for a website which gives out the carb content of different fruits?

Tybir

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i've always wondered abt carbohydrates in fruit. I was lead to believe that we were able to eat as fruit as we wanted because it would'nt effect our blood sugars. How wrong was i!!!! I can eat melon no problem but as for the rest, they raise my blood sugars a good deal. I would like to know if this is the case for anyone else or do you think it depends on insulin types....some times i find diabetes an enigma, very hard to understand!!!!

hallii

Tybir said:
Hi, i've always wondered abt carbohydrates in fruit. I was lead to believe that we were able to eat as fruit as we wanted because it would'nt effect our blood sugars. How wrong was i!!!! I can eat melon no problem but as for the rest, they raise my blood sugars a good deal. I would like to know if this is the case for anyone else or do you think it depends on insulin types....some times i find diabetes an enigma, very hard to understand!!!!

I think it just goes to show that we are all different, maybe someday the docs will have a lot more knowledge about diabetes, until then we just keep doing what we have to!

H

FrancesB

I found this using the search function because I'm curious about fruit, and I see that this thread was abandoned in 2010, so I'm just wondering if there is a list somewhere concerning fruit, even if it's: Generally Good/Generally Bad.

I had some honeydew melon last night, which has always been one of my favourite diet desserts. Now, I don't know if that was the right thing to do. I also bought some apples, pears, and oranges.

And what about tinned fruit? Is it okay if it's in fruit juice, because I like to put it in sugar-free jelly.

Sorry if all these questions/concerns seem ignorant, but I'm just a bit confused.

Frances x

ETA: Really sorry everyone. I've just realised this thread was in the "Type 1" bit. I'm in the wrong place. *sighs*

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find this website very useful. Its a US website so when you check carbohydrates you need to subtract dietary fiber from total carbohydrates (they have it a bit differently than in UK)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Another way is to go to Tesco/Sainsbury/Waitrose/Asda website and check the product you are interested in (as if you were buying something online). There is always table with nutrition values

These are my favorite ways of checking carbs. I havent found any good website with full range of products (only the one from US) but if someone knows let us know please

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am fairly certain that blueberries are good for diabetes - at least I eat them daily with my breakfast they are full of antioxidants - do cannot be bad. Bananas and grapes are not supposed to be good as they contain quite a lot of sugar.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

FrancesB

Hi,

Thank you so much for the info and site links. They are really useful. Again, thank you for helping even though I was in the wrong bit of the site - you're awesome!

Frances x

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DarkForcesRebel said:
I love having apples, as with my regime, it doesnt requirr having an injection
There's truth in an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
In a way similar to apple cider vinegar they can reduce blood sugar:smile:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app