Looking for some advice

curly_caz5

Hi there, am type 1 diabetic i was 11 when i was told i had it, my world wad turned upside down,
Now am 22 i have my own house and a stable relationship i want to plan for a child, i know its harder for someone with diabetes to get pregnant ect...
Am hoping there are others in my situation willing to talk to me about this,
I need to know how long it would take to gety hb1c down from 9 too 6? :smile: hope theres someone out there who will want to help me out xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AMBrennan

i know its harder for someone with diabetes to get pregnant ect...
That's not strictly true; however, poorly controlled diabetes does increase the risk of complications during the pregnancy. If you are having trouble getting pregnant, go see a doctor and don't just assume that it's due to the diabetes. (Mayo)
I need to know how long it would take to gety hb1c down from 9 too 6?
HbA1c is a measure of average control of the last three months, so if you manage perfect levels from now on you will have a perfect HbA1c in three months time.
Of course, the question is how quickly you are able gain good control, and it's hard to put a number on that because it depends on lots of things beyond our control (do you have idiosyncratic reactions to certain foods? Do you have varying basal requirements that can't be matched with Lantus? Etc).

Just do your best to control your BG levels. Consider looking at carb counting/DAFNE if you are not doing that already. Ask if you have a problem with anything.
Edit to add: BDEC covers the basics of carb counting.

curly_caz5

Thank you, :)

My bgs are doing not bad just now, between 4-12 and a few hypos, i just need to get total control over it, from going from doing no bgs to doing 4-6 a day now am doing well,
Am not yet tryig for a baby, :) i want the all clear from my nurse first and a good hb1c :)
I wouldnt know where to start with carb counting or that i havent really took a great intrest in my diabetes ever, :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm no expert on Type 1, but having a low-carb diet will enable you to reduce your insulin dose (which must be done in conjunction with your nurse) if you are on a 'normal' diet currently. The result of this should be smaller blood sugar swings and I would hope better overall control. I'm assuming from your post that you are not currently trying to have a low-carb diet, but I may have guessed wrong. If you are a bit overweight then reducing carbs & insulin a bit should result in weight loss and sugar reduction and as I understand it having a good BMI improves the chance of getting pregnant although that's a generalisation. Note I'm not a medical person so my comments are only my suggestion for thought.