Legs

bigladpete

Can any one tell me if you are getting problems with your legs, like pore circulation, swelling, joint pain and discolouration of the skin. :wave:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bigladpete said:
Can any one tell me if you are getting problems with your legs, like pore circulation, swelling, joint pain and discolouration of the skin. :wave:

Yes, I do and judging from other posts, it is not uncommon. I had tingly toes for many years, a side effect of ramipril I was told. It restricts the capillaries. However, last year I was getting some sharp shooting pains, bits of numbness and so on and then I started to get bad cramps, especially at night. I've also got a touch of arthritis in my ankle which made it difficult to work out what was going on.

Pampering yourself, ie keeping warm, wearing slippers and not walking around bare footed or in socks alone and even wearing bedsocks makes a big difference. Washing feet in warm water with a long handled brush makes for a nice massage. Calf stretching exercises improve circulation and then by reducing blood glucose levels you should in time, reverse any early damage, if any has occured that is. Losing weight too is a big help. Best of all, it is actually worth putting in the effort because you feel so much better when your legs and feet aren't aching. Treat yourself to some nice warm socks and well fitting slippers:

http://www.cosyfeet.com

You are not on your own!

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About 6 months pre diagnosis i used to have to take 2 painkillers every night at bedtime or i couldnt sleep it was put down to the statins i was taking the pains were really quite bad heavy aching feeling and sometimes shooting pains my feet also hurt but since low carbing and now lost over 2 stone the pains have gone and im still on the statins looks to me that the advice i followed from this site has worked wonders for me :clap:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gally said:
it was put down to the statins

I stopped taking simvastatin for a while and the cramps did go, but came back again, so I decided it wasn't that. It's always a juggling act to find out what's going on. Losing weight, exercise and lower BG levels have made huge improvements. Warm toes though are the very best. Snug as a bug in a rug. I think I'll look for some fur socks, fur side inside not fur side outside.

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmmm got me thinking that one about the cold toes i am not normally a cold person but just over the last couple of weeks i have noticed that my hands are constantly cold at work whilst everyones else is warm ive had to start wearing fingerless gloves also had cold feet didnt think it was connected with diabetes ?? :(

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get pins and needles, and hot feeling in the feet, discolouration of the skin happens with me when I get cuts or bruising to the legs. Cuts never heal to normal colour, depending on my BS these cuts ranged from slightly darker to normal skin colour to a brown'ish appearence which tend to go redish when BS is high.

Pedaldog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had a lot of trouble with my legs and feet. I was on Metformin at first but had bad effects so went to Glimepiride and Saxagliptin. Realised the side effects of both these are bad so I am waiting to see El Doc' and ask about yet another medicine change. The pain in my foot is, at times, real agony and stops me from walking. I was an orthopaedic consultant in hospital last week and he told me he is certain it is Diabetic Neuropathy so I need to sort out the Med's as quick as possible and hope the damage hasn't gone too far to reverse it a bit.
I must admit I haven't been taking care much, just a bit of dietary improvement, and my fasting levels tend to be around 8.5 or so.
I need to make some Big and Permanent changes and this forum, I haven't been on much for a while, is likely to get the brunt of my Idiot Kweschuns and stuff :mrgreen:

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer with my legs as well. My left leg seems worse, I have a constant burning feeling down the shin and at night in bed aches really badly . I have spoken to my doctor about it and he seems to dismiss it as damage caused by a stroke I had a couple of years ago. On reading the forum it seems very similar to to what many people suffer from who have diabetes. By the way i was diagnosed with diabetes after my stroke.

Dupont

I get pins and needles in my calves. It is loss of sensation and feels like no blood getting there. Sometimes I can watch the surface of the muscle twitching slightly. It usually lasts about 1/2 an hour. Burning across the tops of my big toes too and very slow to heal below the knee. In fact even the slightest wound seems to leave a discoloured scar after taking forever to heal.

stoomo

I had bad pains in my feet for a long time, and i some times got blisters on my feet for no apparent reason. I had a really bad one last february that developed into and ulcer and that was painful. you have to be so careful with your feet and seek medical advise if you get a big blister that wont heal or an ulcer. I ignored my medical advise and now i only wear 1 sock and 1 shoe as the surgeon had to remove my foot and ankle. don't make my mistake. look after your feet and keep your sugars low, or you'll end up like peg leg stuart....