soba noodles

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive just bought soba noodles in Asda and cant believe they are so low in carbs! and yummy as well. Cant believe i had no idea about them before.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its 25 g per 100g. I had a portion of 82g and it was really satisfying one. Its a brown type of noodles and comparing to normal pasta with over 70g of carbs its really good

Attachments

• 5052449583373_21000_IDShot_2.jpg
    5052449583373_21000_IDShot_2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,389

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats my new hobby. stroll around the supermarket and checking every label :)

Finzi

Still can't believe I missed them. You know what it is? I don't think I even go down noodle and pasta aisles. My main obsession is crispbread lol. I simply can't believe that there isn't a crispbread or oatcake that is low enough in carbs for me, so I keep obsessively checking!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Soba is buckwheat a low GI starch
edited:( depends on what's been done with it, it's actually variable, I use the flour in pancakes and have found it so)
I'm not convinced on the carb content though I also found the low level as quoted above on the ASDA site but it didn't say whether it was for cooked or uncooked. (100g of dried pasta or noodles may become almost 300g when cooked)
The other producers that I found (Blue Dragon and Clearspring) had about 70g carb for 100g uncooked weight. This is about the same as many pastas (more than some wholegrain ones)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive done some research as well as it seems to be too great. Asda states that 1/2 packet contains 32g and that would mean that 25g is for 100g uncooked. Maybe its a mistake. need to check my levels before and after and then i will know for sure

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Zero Noodles and Eat Water Slim Noodles have NO carbohydrates! But they don't taste quite the same...

Where do you buy them? I wanted to try some of these zero carb noodles (like shirataki). How does it taste? Eatable or just stay away from it?

Regarding Asda now i think they made mistake. Im going to call them tomorrow

Susiebabs

I had some on Friday night with homemade Thai coconut curry - they were fine, not exactly like normal noodles and no real taste in themselves, but took on the curry flavours once stirred in with the sauce and chicken. Bulked the meal up nicely!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

Yes, zero noodles are kind of ok - they taste of absolutely *nothing*, but then, so do rice noodles. They are slightly more rubbery in texture but not unbearably so. Really, my main objection is the price - they are about £2.50 for one small packet. You can get them in H&B.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tested my sugars Finzi but Im not sure. Im not well on antibiotics and my sugar levels are all messed up anyway. I had to bolus after lunch yesterday but I thought it was due to infection not noodles. Now im not sure as I checked many other brands sold online and none of them are that low in carbohydrates

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Holland and barrett have "zero noodles" in stock'.
At £1.99 not so cheap as its normal noodle equivalent but they have got a buy one get one half price offer on which makes it a bit more attractive.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Finzi

kevinf1967 said:
http://www.carbs-information.com/noodles/carbs-soba-noodles.htm :(

But interestingly, that site did seem to suggest that they were significantly lower in carbs than some noodles (10g per ounce uncooked as opposed to rice noodles at 22g per ounce, or some other type (can't remember which now) at 37g per ounce. I'm away from home and so can't get a mental picture of how much an ounce of raw noodle is - I'm guessing not very much.

Noodle is one of those words that looks sillier and sillier the more you read it.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Grams per ounce! How bonkers can you get? It reminds me of working on TriStars for a British airline: the airline measured weight in kilograms, but the aircraft was built by Americans in feet and inches, so moments were expressed in kilogram-feet! A bit closer to topic though, Holland & Barrett sell both Zero Noodles and all the Eat Water products (rice, noodles & pasta); I bought a selection from H&B on-line - free delivery if you spend more than £20. They are a bit pricey, but even wholemeal rice and pasta spike my BG, so I reckon it's worth it.

bmorgen

Bean thread noodles, aka glass or cellophane noodles, are meant to be low GI (26-39). I would be curious if there any anecdotal BG tests on bean thread noodles. They can be served soaked, then stir fried for a really nice noodle dish. They work in any recipe where rice noodles would work.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought 100% black bean noodles once but unfortunately I can't remember where I got them. I reckon buckwheat noodles are fine occasionally for me. It's not just the carb content but how low GI they are that is important.