Hypo symptoms

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I was just wondering if becoming very cold when sugar levels are dropping is another symptom for hypos. As lately even when the heating is on my hands and feet become cold and sometimes my teeth begin to chatter and when i check my blood sugars i am low, i have only been having this symtom for the last couple of weeks, usually once i have got my sugar levels back to normal i warm up again but i do seem to find it takes longer to warm my hands up.

tracey167

iHs

Tracey167 said:
Hi all

I was just wondering if becoming very cold when sugar levels are dropping is another symptom for hypos. As lately even when the heating is on my hands and feet become cold and sometimes my teeth begin to chatter and when i check my blood sugars i am low, i have only been having this symtom for the last couple of weeks, usually once i have got my sugar levels back to normal i warm up again but i do seem to find it takes longer to warm my hands up.

tracey167

I think hypo symptoms manifest themselves in different ways person to person. Look on the symptom of feeling very cold with teeth chattering as an awareness signal that you are going low :thumbup:

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I used to go pale and shake, then my eyes would go funny. Now I have no symptoms at all :( , So I am constantly testing, till my fingers are shot to bits. But if husband catches a bad night hypo, I sweat and then go cold, the last 2 bad hypo's 1.9, completely with it treated hypo, but bad headache, so slept it of only to dip again and both my kids have treated it, 8 & 13, one runs for lucozade the other for a snickers bar. They treat it as a race as to who can get to mummy first. But they both know how to dial 999 and what to ask for and to rabbit address and say type 1 diabetic. Then to phone Dad and then Grandma & Grandad.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty sure that you feel cold if your blood sugar is too high, in my experience it always feels cold when actually the room I am in at that time is actually room temperature so I tested and said I was high. Is this what you are feeling? if not disregard this completely.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iHs said:
I think hypo symptoms manifest themselves in different ways person to person. Look on the symptom of feeling very cold with teeth chattering as an awareness signal that you are going low :thumbup:

Quite right, only come across one other member on the forum who feels the need to go for a pee when hypo :roll:

The cold and teeth chattering is a new one to me Tracey but at least you no what to look out for :)

daisy3174

Hi there, think most people go hot, but I too go very cold (like a cold sweat)and get a very warm feeling when its going back up.In fact in my experience,if I go out early on a cold morning it actually triggers a Hypo x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.

I find myself going clammy wet sweat with a hypo kicking in .
The animal porcine insulin has great hypo awareness with me .
It has a kick like a 'mule' :p

Then I start shaking n lose the ability to speak words clearly.
Words sound slurred and I mumble nonsense .
Then I start lolling about , needing to lie down and have a kip .

Thing is with my hypo's I have to act 'quick' as each stage progress's
soooo quickly with me.

Never gone cold only the opposite boiling hot clammy sweats ...

Hot weather affects my BG levels making me yo-yo up and down erratically .
Winter and cooler weather I prefer as am more stable.

Anna.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I also feel cold when low especially if it's a bad low ie overnight and struggle to wake up. I believe when your blood sugar drops below a certain threshold, one of the first things to not work as it's supposed to is your body temperature regulation, which is why some people are cold some get hot some are sweaty etc. Usually if I'm hot and everyone else in the room is fine I'll be high or having a rapid increase because I've forgotten to blous or something. If you go DKA one of the signs to be aware of is increased body temperature as your body is trying to burn off the excess glucose.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(N.B. I posted this in another thread, but I thought it was perhaps more relevant here.)

I think they vary from person to person but I get some or all of these hypo symptoms:

Phase 1:
Feeling that "Something's not quite right"
"Tingling"
Clammy - mildly sweating.
Difficulty concentrating.

Phase 2:
Difficulty focusing.
Sometimes affects sight, like a migraine coming; blank areas/patterns in my vision.
Feel strange, shaky, harder to think.
Angry! Especially if I know I've been careful, & done everything "right".
(Sometimes I'm so sure I shouldn't be having a hypo I refuse to accept it at first.)
Fed up, if it's a bad one I know I'm probably going to feel tired & down for the rest of the day.
Hungry.

Phase 3:
Very sweaty - smelly sweat!
Worried./Scared?
Really need to eat & sit/lie down.
A very bad one leaves me fighting to stay conscious.

Phase 4:
Haven't been there.
Never lost consciousness - so far..

Usually, I catch it in phase 1 but if the room/weather is hot and/or I'm very busy, I can miss phase 1 completely.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anna29 said:
Hi All.

The animal porcine insulin has great hypo awareness with me .
It has a kick like a 'mule' :p

Then I start shaking n lose the ability to speak words clearly.
Words sound slurred and I mumble nonsense .
Then I start lolling about , needing to lie down and have a kip .
Anna.

Haha, I remember those animal insulin hypos :lol:

Had all the same, but also with visual disturbances - like someone had fired a flashbulb right in my eyes :shock:

Only ever lost consciousness twice though, when I was newly diagnosed.