5k help

infidel

Hi,
I dont visit here often enough, I'm a 44 year old type 1 using a Roche insulin pump, HBA1C of 6.9 for the past 11 years have always been fairly energetic but admittedly over the past year fitness levels at all time low, so to get things up a gear ive decided to run a couple of 5k s this coming Summer,
now does anyone got a bit of advice all considered how to start this off carb, exercise, distance etc.

thanks to all.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For a training plan try this.
http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
It starts you off very gently and builds up the distance over 9 weeks.

What it doesn't help with is the diabetes bit.
Unfortunately this is very individual, you need to test before during and after and take some glucose tabs with you. At the start you won't be going very far or for very long . Although most people find their glucose levels drop with aerobic exercise if you are unused to exercise and getting out of breath (so the exercise is actually anaerobic) you may find that it rises :(

Personally mine always falls and falls very rapidly even though I reduce my basal to a trickle. I try not to run within 2 hours of a bolus. (sometimes though not avoidable). I tend to drip feed glucose tabs,some people use jelly babies.
Good luck, the first step out of the door is the most difficult, especially at this time of year.

skhwoody

the quick drop, is my biggest worry to start running again, i have done a few rides on my bike and my sugar has dropped to a safe level and remained so, but there is a 5k i would like to run this year.

bethan90

I always make sure my blood sugars are a bit higher before starting exercise. I like them to be about 11 or 12. After a 45-60min work out by BS falls to about 4-5. Take some jelly babies or fruit pastilles. Much easier to eat than yucky glucose tablets. That said I don't run outside very much and tend to use the gym so I have a bottle of lucozade in my bag always.

AMBrennan

Alternatively, you could just have whatever you eat to get your BG that high before you start exercising and get the same result without having to have high BG