New technique for finger pricking!

garythegob

I have got the bayer next usb meter and their finger pricking device, on reading the instruction manual they will also supply, free of charge, what they call ALTERNATIVE SITE TESTING CAP, and i use that to prick the fleshy bit at the base of my thumb in the palm or my forearm,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
WELL WE ONLY HAVE 10 DIGITS = 20 BS TESTS SO USING THE BACK AND SIDES I ASUME WILL MAKE THE DIGITS LESS SENSITIVE
WOULD BE CUIOUS TO SEE IF IT AFFECTS THE BS READINGS OVER A TIME
THANK YOU
JOHNTY

garythegob

brunodog25 said:
WELL WE ONLY HAVE 10 DIGITS = 20 BS TESTS SO USING THE BACK AND SIDES I ASUME WILL MAKE THE DIGITS LESS SENSITIVE
WOULD BE CUIOUS TO SEE IF IT AFFECTS THE BS READINGS OVER A TIME
THANK YOU
JOHNTY
Shouldn't really prick thumbs as lots of nerve endings=more pain

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use my thumbs most of the time because it doesnt hurt. I am skinny and my fingers bruise easily I tried the backs of my fingers and it hurt BIG TIME .Using thumbs does not change the readings ,I checked a few times when I read that using thumbs was not recommended .
CAROL

justRob

Wow, I'm gonna be giving this a try in a little while. Would be great to be able to have more places to spread the pricking around.

Finzi

For me, it isn't so much that it is less painful (it does hurt, a little) but that it is more effective. I wonder if maybe it's because my fingers are a bit fat. It I prick the pads/sides, about 75% of the time I don't get anything first time. I have to reprick and reprick. Also, it's more limited because I feel there is a lot of sense in avoiding the thumb and index finger. If you prick the front of the finger, it really doesn't matter - all fingers are equal. So you have a full ten to choose from (and I do try to rotate).

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.