How long have you been diagnosed?

How long have you been diagnosed with diabetes?

• 0-3 yrs

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • 4-6 yrs

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • 7-9 yrs

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 10-15 yrs

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • 16-20 yrs

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 21-24 yrs

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 25+ yrs

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sw11bloke

Theres a type 1 lady who was on my DAFNE course. She is 80 years old, very active. Has had diabetes since birth. Her HBA1C is 6% and she has never had any complications except that she has lost all hypo awereness. While on DAFNE, she tested her BG and it was 2.2. She had a few gluco tabs and was fine. Never panicked or anything.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
27 years. When I was still in hospital after diagnosis I was walking the grounds with my Dad and we met a man he knew who said he had diabetes for 26 years. O knew I would have diabetes 'for the rest of my life' but for some reason hearing it in years just hammered home the reality of it. It took a long time to come back from but here I am, past the 26 years and still in one piece! Background retinopathy and early signs of kidney probs but doing very well tg.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
9 Month's now.

BADEST WOLF

Sorry guys. Now 47. Was 2 when diagnosed. So 45 years diabetic doing own jabs since 7. So forty years doing own jabs. I think I can safely say. I have had more injections than most people have had hot dinners. Lol
Don't celebrate when I was diagnosed but maybe an idea to help keep you from feeling depressed Good on ya

BADEST WOLF

Can I also point out how things have changed in the time I have been diabetic
I started with metal & glass syringes. With solid steel needles , to sterilise them my mum had to boil them The needles had to be used several times and the needle was like the inside of a bic biro. They hurt !
I also still have my gun.( it was a frame like a colt 45 automatic gun). You clicked the loaded syringe onto it and fired the spring loaded lot into your leg then pushed down the plunger and when all in pull it out
I recently attended a DAFNE course and when I showed them the attending diabetic nurse bought in one of the syringes and a few old needles to show the group
One of the girls was nearly sick and they all stated. 'Barbaric ' Anyways my main point it's apt easier and better these days than when I stated back in the early 70s

Lance

Hi All,
Thanks for the informative page. My daughter of 8 was Dianosed on the 26th of December. I think she is handling the diagnosis better than her old man?

Bakeroo

I was first diagnosed with Type 1 in April 1963 so I am just coming up to 50 years! It has affected my eyes but I am under a wonderful eye clinic. The downside of diabetes for me is the depression. Sometimes brought on by low blood sugar.

Mrs Taz

I was diagnosed on 28th January this year.
Just finished education classes and still learning, so many things to learn and take in.
One good thing is from 6th February to today (22 March) I've lost 1 and a half stone.

maxster

I was diagnosed 18 years ago, and I wish I had found and used this forum years ago and had better control, joins only weeks ago after going on to victoza and was worried, already on to low carving, testing blood daily and really feeling positive with a lot of the posts you guys put up. Lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks and bloods ranging from 4.3 and 7.3, Keep up the excellent work you guys inspire

charlieb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed in 1959 aged 7, type 1, I am now 61 and still feeling good despite lots of ups and downs :D :D