Hi, just wanted to say hello.

dansmum2609

My name is Christine , my 12 year old son was diagnosed in September type 1. We live in Cornwall. Coping really well at the moment with obviously the odd highs and lows but overall doing well. The only problem is my son still won't do his own injections, bms he does fine but he just cannot stick the needle in himself, does anyone have any tips.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I have no suggestions but I think that some people get upset when they get no replies. Maybe no-one else has a son who will not inject himself.

In the meantime ..............Hi.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Christine and welcome to the forum. I hope someone with similar experiences to you will see your post and will be able to share what they have learned with you.

Slesser1

Hi christine
That must be hard for him. I'm 53 and not scared of needles one bit, but it took a while for me to stop cringing while I injected myself. The only advice I can offer, is to give him time. Hes still a baby really. When he gets used to the fact it doesnt hurt, he might pluck up some extra courage. Failing that...i always found bribery a good bargaining tool when my boys were teenagers lol xx good luck x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jayne15

Hi Christine, A reward system helped my little girl meg whos 7 diagnosed in October, she was able to do them after a week ( and she had quite a bit of money in her poscket !)however I don't tend to press her to much now as we are trying to avoid her tummy coz its a bit lumpy and its a nit tricky for her to do it in other sights as we are still using syringes. Have you perhaps thought of Diabetes uk children weekends these are parent free and he would get loads of support from the doctors and nurses and would see other kids doing this. Alternatively have you thought of joining a local group so he can make friends with other diabetics. I guess this is a problem that needs tackling soonish otherwise it will be difficult for him to stay over at friends houses ect, if it helps he can PM Meg through me for a chat. If it was me ( and I know our kids are all different) Id be thinking of an incentive trip away/new kit/new PS game and then chip away at the problem. rewards work really well with my child, I appreciate hes a little older but I suppose no kids too old for a special treat.
good luck and keep in touch x

jayne15

I Forgot to add we did it gradually first we put the needle in and she pushed the syringe and then we both put the needle in and after a couple of days she was doing this herself-she also says it hurts less when she does it herself.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
daisy1 said:
Hi Christine and welcome to the forum. I hope someone with similar experiences to you will see your post and will be able to share what they have learned with you.

Hi Christine I concur with daisy and I am sending my best wishes to you both.

RRB

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Bribery! My 8yr old son was hesitant to inject himself but really wanted a stunt/trick scooter. When we said he could have one if he did his own injections he almost wrestled the Novorapid insulin pen off me! We started by guiding his hand to the injection site and he pushed the needle in, after a couple of goes he realized it wasn't that scary so did it himself. He's now a happy scooterer!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App