Snack options

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, what do other parents do when their children are hungry but their blood sugars aren't low enough to warrant a snack? Is there anything I can give my 9yr old type1 son that won't affect his levels, he eats a healthy diet and controls his diabetes brilliantly.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose all parts of cooked chicken is good but do not buy dippers, nuggets etc. since these contain flour. Slice of real meat wrapped round a stick of celery or either just on their own. I mostly use a slice of ham for this.

I think the main problem might be that whatever you suggest he won't fancy it.

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I love the butternut squash recipe, yum. I do give him slices of chicken or ham, but to be honest,for him, it's not the dream. I think I'm looking for a miracle - a sugar free, delish, with kid appeal,healthy snack. Hmmmm

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This sounds great. Will be having a go today! I love almonds but never knew they could be used like this. Thanks for recipe

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think if you put a bit of splenda they would turn into nice biscuits (few chocolate chips wouldnt add much carbs). Muffins with almond flour are great too

LaughingHyena

I found some crackers in Aldi which are only 3g, and nice with a bit of cheese or something. I'll often grab a few nuts as a snack.

My kids enjoy the mini peperami sticks and cheese strings. Both carb free so might work for you.

Sugar free jelly, not the healthies option but quite nice sometimes. I've made these layered jelly squares for a couple fo aprties and they have always been a hit.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32066

Blondie153

Hi LizG I usually give anything that is less than 15 carbs such as
sugar free jelly
raisins
cheese
rich tea biscuit
half an apple
2 crackers with cheese
handful of cereal and small amount of milk
Mx

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

How about some Hartleys Sugar Free Jelly (thats really nice)

or a couple of cream crackers with some dairylee light or lighter

tracey167

mariamack1

My 12 year old son absolutely loves the Fridge Raiders, chicken bites with only 3.6g of carbs in a packet. He also loves low fat cheese spread on ritz crackers, he makes two cracker sandwiches with cheese spread inbetween less than 10g carbs.

Maria

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to like a bit of cheese when i was little.
Id steer clear of processed food, as its unclear what the ingridients are and contains a lot of salt. I saw an article months ago suggesting processed ham is a carcinogen. I wouldnt be surprised if processed rubbish gave me type 1 in the 1st place