which insulin is best

skipjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi
i am on levemir at night 1 dose and novorapid before meals
are these the best inulin to be on or is there something better.
i have put on weight seen been on inulin i am eating a low carb diet.
my diabetes nurse at hospital is trying to get on there course they do to work out how much insulin to use.
only found out in jan had got type 1.

AMBrennan

Well, I suppose so. Levemir is a basal insulin with a more constant action compared to older NPH (e.g. fewer nighttime hypos) , and Novorapid is a fast acting insulin with faster onset than the old human insulin (e.g. no more injecting insulin half an hour before meals). Basal bolus is more flexible than mixed insulins (that is to say, mixed insulins are a subset of basal bolus) but less flexible than a pump.

There are other insulins with longer action (Lantus and the new Insulin degludec) or more rapid onset (Apidra) but that's not necessarily better - that is to say, which insulin is best suited depends on your individual situation. If you are having specific problems than we might be able to comment on whether other insulins are more suitable.

melsavage

Hi there,

I'm on the same insulins as you - although there are lots of different ones available it is a case of seeing which are best for YOU. Your healthcare team will be able to work it out with you - I've been type 1 for 30 years and tried lots of different combinations in that time!

Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

skhwoody

Novomix 30 at the minute, 18 units, Morning and night, although on a few occasions this last couple of weeks I have been injecting upto 26 on some meals to try and tackle some high readings.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App