Good news at docters! :)

jmorell1989

29th of december fot told i was type 2. With my bloods at 12.6. I was about 16 stone 7. Low carb diet and a lot of exercise. In less than 3 months i have got my bloods down to 5.6 and weight to 14 stone. Couldnt be happier. Docter bring my medication down from 3 metaformin to 2 a day. See how i get on. Couldnt of done it without the advice and tips i got off this forum!!!

Thank you

John :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done John. :thumbup:

That is a very good result. :)

Roy.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Great news - Well done 'you' :clap:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Very well done John. Fantastic. Keep on doing what you are doing as it is obviously the best for you :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
jmorell1989 said:
29th of december fot told i was type 2. With my bloods at 12.6. I was about 16 stone 7. Low carb diet and a lot of exercise. In less than 3 months i have got my bloods down to 5.6 and weight to 14 stone. Couldnt be happier. Docter bring my medication down from 3 metaformin to 2 a day. See how i get on. Couldnt of done it without the advice and tips i got off this forum!!!

Thank you

John :)

Welldone John ,those are great results :) Give your self a big pat on the back :thumbup: RRB

mpprh

A similar story for me today ...

I have lost 22kg in 21 months and taken more exercise which has reduced my glucose levels. I had my metformin reduced to 2 X 500mg tablets per day for the last 6 months.

My fasting glucose reading is 75mg/dl to 90mg/dl (4.2mmol/l to 5.0mmol/l) and Hba1c has been 5.4 for the last 6 months.

My normal doctor was away and I saw a locum. He gave me the same prescription but suggested I reduce to 1 x 500mg tablet per day and monitor the results. He expects to see little difference, in which case he suggests I stop taking the tablets and monitor the results. He thinks it very likely I no longer need medication.

Is this likely ?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
mpprh said:
A similar story for me today ...
Is this likely ?

It certanly is possible. Being overweight is a major cause of insulin resistance - get rid of the excess weight and you can sometimes also cure the insulin resistance so that your insulin can work properly. Metformin is designed to overcome insulin resistance and with no resistance, why would you need it?

But general opinion amongst doctors is that you are not "cured" - you remain a diabetic but one who no longer needs medication.

Dennis

mpprh

My regular Dr told me that continuing to take a minimal level of Metformin would increase my life expectancy, so I was sceptical.

On the other hand I live in France and over prescribing is rife !

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mpprh said:
Is this likely ?

It's quite possible yes. Most GPs have heard all the stories of good intentions about losing weight and taking exercise, but most people don't do what they say they will do, or start but then give up. The GP often prescribes metformin simply because he has heard it all before. Occasionally, someone does come along and has obviously done what they are supposed to, so, they can come off the meds.

As has been pointed out, this does not mean that you are cured but shows that you can control it yourself, without meds controlling it for you. It makes you feel much better.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mpprh said:
My regular Dr told me that continuing to take a minimal level of Metformin would increase my life expectancy, so I was sceptical.

I have had this said about statins and ace inhibitors as well. Just how have these stats been compiled?

Diet and exercise have been shown to be more effective that Metformin so how can the GP's statements be true?

1. Possibly the stats are skewed because they contain data from people who are dieting and exercising and taking metformin, although they don't need to. So the conclusion, Metformin is the cause, is not clear.

2. Stats may be skewed because people not taking metformin claim they are dieting and exercising but they stopped doing it altogether or at a lower rate of intensity than before. What amount of weight have they lost and have they put some back on over many years? Do they continue to exercise and how much? Do they still count carbs, what type of carbs and how many?

For the GP's statement to be true, there would need to be a long term study on those taking metformin only and those controlling their diabetes by diet and exercise alone. I don't think such 20, 30 and 40 year studies exist and I don't even think there are clear mortality rates published. It's one of those things easily claimed but harder to support with data.

Roman

I couldn't agree more Yorksman.
Your doctor will tell you what he has heard ..... and that's what he has heard from the drug companies.
If anyone wants to see just how these claims need to be taken with a large pinch of salt should read 'Bad Pharma' by Ben Goldacre .....it makes chilling reading.

Roman

I couldn't agree more Yorksman.
Your doctor will tell you what he has heard ..... and that's what he has heard from the drug companies.
If anyone wants to see just how these claims need to be taken with a large pinch of salt should read 'Bad Pharma' by Ben Goldacre .....it makes chilling reading.

mpprh

So far, reducing to one tablet seems to be working.

I've now had 4 mornings at 4.9 mmol/l and one at 5.4 mmol/l

I'll keep it going for a couple of weeks before making any decisions.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm equally as happy today,
Third day 5.3
Lowering the carb intake,
Diabetone, fenugreek, flax, African mango.:)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Well done! you are amazing, fan bloody tastic, you are an inspiration :D