New

Traceylh

Hi, it's my first time on here, my 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 a couple of weeks ago, she seems to be taking it all in her stride but I'm a nervous wreck and even more so when she is at school any advice on anything would be very appreciated

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Re: New

hi tracey, im a newbie, so little advice im afraid but welcome to the forum, you will recieve all the help you need :)

CambridgeLass

Hi Tracey (from another Tracy). I'm so sorry to hear about your girl's diagnosis. Kids are amazing, it's the parents who do all the worrying. Please don't feel you are alone as there are lots of other parents who have been where you are and we will try and support you. Over time you will have questions so feel free to post, nothing is too silly. My girl has just turned 7 and we are 3 months in. It's great your child is taking it OK, mine was the same, after the initial few days, and I always let her know there is NOTHING she can't do that she did before, we just have to do this in addition. Every day is a new day. x

Just Laura

Hi Tracy,

My 5 year old daughter was also recently diagnosed (January 10th - a date I'm sure I'll never forget!) and so we're still all getting used to our new way of normal.

She is amazing though and coping well. She has her occasional moment when she sulks and says she doesn't want to be diabetic any more but it's perfectly understandable and she gets over it quicker than I do!
She was also chuffed to bits in Tesco today when she saw the collection boxes at the end of the tills were for diabetic research! She asked me to tell the checkout boy that she was diabetic :)

Please feel free to chat, it's really nice to know someone with a girl the same age who's going through it all... not that I would wish this on your daughter or anyone but you know I mean.

Much love and keep on keeping on.

x

cezzle

Hi Tracy,
Sorry to hear about your daughter, mine was diagnosed March last year at age 6. Have you found the Children With Diabetes (CWD) website? They have mailing list that is great for support. There's also various groups on Facebook. Love Ceri xx

Traceylh

Hi thank you both for your support!

I keep reading up on diabetes and carb counting keeps coming up, we haven't started it yet but I know it's coming it sounds very confusing, is it?

Xx

CambridgeLass

There is a minefield of information out there. I would love to take a month off just to read! Don't worry about carb counting yet. That can come later down the line. There are many who don't carb count a good long while. Important now is getting doses right and the support from your diabetes team.

Traceylh

Thanks Tracy

I've been trying to read thing but not taking much in, I'm a real worrier and always worry about what to do if her blood sugars are to high or to low even though I know what to do!
I'm sure we will get there at some point
I'm just do glad I have found this page

Thank you xx

Just Laura

We have carb counted from the off as per the advice of our wonderful nurses (they're bloody marvellous, aren't they) and it truly isn't difficult, it's just a bit of a palaver.

But as that wise old Cambridge lassie says (sorry about the old bit!) most important is getting the doses right and when you're used to that bit it'll all seem a little less overwhelming.

x

Blondie153

Hi Tracey, I know that it seems like you are standing at the bottom of Everest at the moment. But be rest assured you are suffering from grief and information overload. You have gone from In the night garden to a PHD in Diabetics and Dietetics overnight. You will get there. We were and are all still in the same place but with a little less fear factor as you realize that is another day where your child has survived your triumphs and trials! Keep the chin up we are all with you.
Mx

jasperc

Hi Tracey, another Tracy here who is also a worrier. My 9 year was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and just typing those words still brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. I truly cannot believe that as I am replying my boy is running around, out of sight around a pool with his cousins, having great fun (while mum of course has heart in mouth while he does it!) It does get easier and you learn to cope with diabetes, just 4 weeks ago my world ended, temporarily, but here we are doing normal stuff!! I've found talking to people who have been through this the most useful advise, especially through this forum. It's still a roller coaster, I wonder will it always be?! Hypos are part if every day life and Im coping better than I thought I would! The children as you said are the real inspiration, but need us diabetes mums to be strong for them!! I'm already used to heading our wherever we go with a bag full of the necessary supplies!!
Good luck and here if you ever need advise ( not that I feel at this stage qualified, still very much a new by myself!!!) or just a sounding board!!!

jayne15

welcome Tracey- you are not alone- Meg age 7 diagnosed in October- it does and will get easier- the tears will continue to come but you will find that this diagnosis will bring you all closer together and make your realize your priorities in life- I have made some fab friends on this forum and I know where to go to if I need support or have a question. take each day as it comes and look after yourself as well.

Hugs Jayne

Traceylh

Aww thank you for your support and advice, I know each day will get a little easier and talking to everyone on here makes me see that tiny light at the end of this dark tunnel
We will get there, and hope all you lovely people are coping well

Xx