Newcastle Diet

Hi All

I am starting the Newcastle Diet tomorrow I am a type 2 diabetic diet controlled at the moment

My last bloods were borderline and doc has said I have to go onto meds which I refused until my next bloods to get my weight down and Hopefully won't have to have the mess

Anyone else done the diet and had good results ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Slesser1

I havent heard of this diet, so sorry I cant help. Ill be intetested to see if it works for you tho. Im low carbing but getting very confused. Not quite sure about these good carbs and bad carbs. My consultant told me to eat couscous, but its really high in carbs. Also, if I count carbs, I still seem to overdo the calories! Its hard isnt? I will check in with you to see what this newcastle diet is all about x

It was a study carried out by Newcastle University and they had 11 people with type 2 on it for 8 weeks and after there trial 7 out of the 11 Diabetes was reversed and completely came off there meds I have tried the low carb diet and didn't get on with it very well to be honest it's hard with working full time and balancing home life aswell but going to give it a bash as i have 9 weeks to my holiday so I have an incentive as well as desperately needing to lose weight

I will post weekly on a Monday my weight loss if any and how the first week went etc... Fingers crossed it will work x

drayman4

I started the Newcastle diet yesterday too, its good to know someone started same day as me, roll on the 5th May. I'm using tesco's own at £4 a tub, chocolate, strawberry and banana. I was diagnosed 2001 and been on medication since 2005. I have taken myself off medication for the course of the diet and would like to come off medication permanently. I have a relatively physical job and I'm relatively fit for my size and age, 17st 5lb and 47. I lost 3 stones through exercise last year but have put 2 stones back on since, I intend to exercise daily to keep the hunger away. I've been looking at the recipes at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... ecipes.pdf and quite excited about it.

Good luck Tashaleigh1979, keep me informed of your progress and I'll do the same.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done this before with some success. I DID try the supermarket's own brand shakes - but they are significantly different to the Optislim shakes that were used in the Newcastle Trial.

The "own brand" shakes are almost like glue - a very sticky, slimy consistency. I think they do this to convince you that you are at least having a substantial "liquid" meal. :lol:

The Optislim shakes are much thinner in consistency, but much more of a milky type dring - like the ready made (Yazoo, etc...) milkshakes you buy in supermarkets. :thumbup: They all taste LOVELY - but I DID NOT like the hot soups that they make. I think the only flavour shake that I dodn't like was the Honeycombe - it was just too sweet for me. The Banana, Cafe Latte and lemon Cheesecake shakes are absolutely delicious!

The Optislim shakes are around £1.50 each (expensive, I know). But I would not do the Newcastle Diet with any other shake having tried Optislim.

Good luck to you !!!

Reactions: 2 people

Pandanose

I did this a year ago and it worked brilliantly. Went back to normal eating and 6 months later I was back where I started, although kept most of the weight off. I'd say if you eat generally healthily after you're done then you could well avoid diabetes altogether. **** you Chinese takeaway.

Little tip, I made lots of 200 calorie snacks to have instead of living on liquids all the way through. That keeps you sane. Also it teally isn't that hard, so don't listen to the neighsayers. Good luck.

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all the replies,

I am on Day 3 so far so good had a terrible headache yesterday morning but battled through took some paracetamol and got on with it

I agree the shakes are abit glue like and heavy, i may try a different brand next week and see how I go,

I have been having a shake at around 8am then finding I don't feel hungry until around 12.30 - 1pm I then have a salad with vinegarete fat free dressing for lunch then have another shake around 2.30-3pm, I generally get home around
6pm and been having a selection of veggies then another shake around 7.30, the evenings is when I have been feeling most hungry but I have found if I have a big glass of water it soon passes

I was going to weigh myself once a week on a Monday but decided to weigh this morning and to my amazement I have lost 5lb already! So all good at the mo but not sure how long I can last without having something in the evenings :(

I will keep you all updated x

drayman4

It's Day 3 for me too, I've lost 4lb. I've had a shake for breakfast, lunch and teatime. I've had a tin of chopped tomatoes, around 70 calories each lunchtime. I'm used to having supper and feel hungry in the evenings too so last night I had a small salad early evening and a portion of cauliflower around 9.30Pm.

I'm not actually finding it as hard as I thought I would so far, I like the shakes which is a bonus. I had a headache first afternoon which went on until bedtime but been ok since.

I went to the pharmacy just before lunch for a finger prick test and my reading was 7.8 which I was a little disappointed with but this makes me more determined to succeed.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
drayman4 said:
I went to the pharmacy just before lunch for a finger prick test and my reading was 7.8 which I was a little disappointed with but this makes me more determined to succeed.

Don't forget that your body puts glucose in your bloodstream to make up for the lack of energy from eaten foods. That's why you lose weight. The body starts using its fat stores. But initially your insulin sensitivity remains the same, rather sluggish. It improves after some weight is lost and it improves, more quickly, with exercise. There are always several things going on. Also, eating carbs triggers the production of insulin, even if that doesn't work too well, so eating next to nothing won't cause much of an insulin response.

Finzi

Yes, don't be disappointed. I had the highest reading I've ever had (9.9) when I was fasting and had gone for a long walk. This was a few days after I was diagnosed - it wouldn't happen now. Now if i was fasting (doesn't happen often lol) I'd be more like 4.5.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

drayman4

Day 6 and I feel fine, It's been much easier than I thought it would be so far. I've lost 8lb since Monday which I'm more than happy with. I've been aiming to burn off 500 cals a day at the gym before work but overlaid yesterday although I suppose a rest will do no harm.

I chose the start date carefully because I have no major events like holidays or birthdays in the 8 week period, however my concern now is that we are going away for a few days to stay with my step daughter at Easter and temptation will be hard to overcome.

Tashaleigh1979, I hope you are doing OK too!

Hi Drayman4

Well done with the weight loss, I'm doing ok I have lost only 6lb so far finding the day times fine just the evenings I am struggling with and still getting the headaches I am going to give it until Monday and then maybe introduce a low carb meal just in the evenings and see if that makes a difference apart from that I feel fine

I am also away at Easter but going to treat it as normal and see how I go by then I will be 3 weeks in so will not give up that easily lol looking forward to next weeks update :)