I need help

Diabetick

I'm 15 years of age I'm type 1 diabetic an I'm in need of some help I have a lazy attitude and will try to find out the easiest way to do things basically my mum will ground me for every time my levels are over 13.0 I've only had diabetes for a year and they are expecting me to have it under control already so to save my self from getting grounded I use a second metre and I test on that metre and if they are high I wet my hands allot to concentrate the blood because if you add water to blood the blood sugar levels lower so I wet my hands and test so they get lowered so that I don get grounded I've been doing it for a while like a couple of weeks and my levels have been running high for long time and I'm forgetting to do my injections I need some help I'm getting more headaches and migraines and just not feeling my self lately somebody help I'm trying to stop using the second metre so that I can get better

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Re: I need help

Hi Diabetick,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Diabetes is hard to deal with at the best of times, but during teenage years it can be awful. I went through my own spout of messing things around, couldn't be bothered, etc., though every situation is unique.

Honestly, the thing that gets someone motivated enough to really look after their diabetes and health can be completely different for each person. For me, it was when things started to go wrong, and it sounds like you're in a similar position with your headaches and migraines at the moment.

The trouble is that if things go wrong for too long, it can have serious side-effects, which I'm sure you've heard about from all of your doctors and nurses and parents, etc., etc. It can become a drag constantly hearing it. Until what they say can happen, really does start to happen.

It might help if you sit down with your Mum and speak to her about your worries. Unfortunately, if she hasn't had health troubles or diabetes herself, no one can truly understand what you're going through, but luckily with parents, it's their job to at least try, and from the sounds of it, she's only trying to keep you healthy and on top of things. My Mom was the same, but I, like most teenagers, didn't listen or speak to her about anything. She found out from the doctor that things were going wrong, because it had started wrecking the rest of my body by then.

I'm sure others will have more, and possibly better, suggestions for what to do and how to deal with things, but ultimately it's your health and future that's in your hands, and being diabetic is hard enough without any other added problems that can arise due to complications. It's only been a few years for me since I was a teenager, and I still have a lot to learn myself, but I really hope you can figure out what works for you and how to get motivated! :)

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Diabetick. So sorry to hear you're struggling. If you could come up with such a complex system for fooling your parents you are obviously quite smart! The problem is while you can hoodwink your parents you can't hoodwink yourself. It is quite natural and normal to find the whole injecting and testing process a huge pain in the butt but unfortunately if you are constantly running high you will feel unwell and tired. I was 12 when I was diagnosed and know where you're coming from. Its very important that yo talk to your mom. Try to explain how you feel and own up to the second metre. Easy for me to say I know and of course she'll be upset at first. She has your best interests at heart and it is only by talking and working together that ye will get through this. Keeping bs low is a lot of work at times but in exchange you will feel healthier more energetic and in control. Explain to your diabetes team, they have heard this before. Nearly everyone with diabetes has gone through this at some point. You are not alone. Look after yourself and try to avoid the dreaded complications.

Hi,

Im 20 atm and going through exactly the same but worse. Im now being or feeling sick everyday, aswell as wanting to sleep all the time. That and the fact that my vision is very slowly getting worse. I was diagnosed when i was 7 and this is the worst iv been i try and get myself sorted but like you i forget the injections and i dont even do the blood tests. The hospital pretty much havent answred my calls the last 2 months.

The way im going to try is by increasing it one blood test at a time.

If i was our age i would talk to my parents youre right with the fact they cant expect you to be perfect with it with a snap of your fingers.

I told my mum this morning im going to have to find help and she cried. Shed noticed i was slacking and she was very worried bout me just like my friends. I didnt realise they had noticed.

Your mum might understand and actually will respect you alot more for talking to her and being honest with her.

Hope things sort out for you and im sure you can control your levels once more

Diabetick

Thank you everyone I'm feeling abit better she trusted me to have a **** up at my mates and my levels were good I haven't used the second metre In a while now I got absolutely smashed but my levels were fine so yeah and I'm feeling abit better now thanks so much

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Diabetick said:
I also smoke sometimes and smoke weed I have found that smoking lowers your blood glucose levels I'm ding bad what shall I do

Depends on why you're smoking it.
Recreation, lower your sugars,sore joints etc.
If you're honest with yourself on that point you will get more help with the right answer.:smile:
I hope that makes sense for you.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type

Diabetick said:
Thank you everyone I'm feeling abit better she trusted me to have a **** up at my mates and my levels were good I haven't used the second metre In a while now I got absolutely smashed but my levels were fine so yeah and I'm feeling abit better now thanks so much

Diabetick,

The best advice I can possibly give you is to listen to all the people that care. That be your parents, your GP, your Diabetologist, your nurses..... everyone. I am 38 years diabetic and totally regret not listening to all those people when I was 15. I know that at that age hormones go awry and other real life things can screw up your levels but those people I mentioned help. I now am in mid stage complications with my diabetes and that all boils down to me not listening and getting my glucose levels below 10... in fact I think they were rarely below 15 at that age.

You may feel ok at the moment and think why should I bother..... trust me bother now or you WILL regret it. Sorry to be blunt but I am a firm believer in being straight to the point.